Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Open letter to black metal

Open letter to black metal
June 15, 2005, 09:14:24 PM
Dear Blackmetal fans and artists,

Now that your genre has sold itself out, we don't even remotely consider you a threat. In fact, we once worried you'd upset what people believed, but now that you've humbled yourselves by spewing out crap, we just don't care. You're just another special group of tools in a world overflowing with them. Please carry on and pretend you didn't read this message. It's important for us to have amusing tools of various stripes so we have something to mock when we're at overpriced bars.

Thanks,
The rest of the world

Re: Open letter to black metal
June 15, 2005, 10:35:50 PM
What about Averse Sefira?  What about my BM project?

:'( :'( :'(

Oh well.  I'm still in the early stages of song-writer development, but I'm 10x better than most of the "black metal" out there (my stuff isn't great, though.)  

June 16, 2005, 02:30:53 AM
if one is still in early development, then how can one comment on how one's lyrical content is better than other bands if there is no finished product? Just a question. My theory is that those who make these claims but have nothing to base, or compare them against should just keep them to themselves, we just dont wanna hear them.

Kinda like now if you think about it

Dave

June 16, 2005, 02:38:08 PM
if one is still in early development, then how can one comment on how one's lyrical content is better than other bands if there is no finished product? Just a question. My theory is that those who make these claims but have nothing to base, or compare them against should just keep them to themselves, we just dont wanna hear them.

Kinda like now if you think about it

Dave

I wasn't discussing lyrical content.

June 17, 2005, 01:05:42 AM
Man, who cares about the so called "death" of Black Metal. I'm not worried about saving some kind of "scene", I just want to discover good music, regardless of genre. Let Black Metals' corpse rest in peace.

June 19, 2005, 10:50:16 AM
Man, who cares about the so called "death" of Black Metal. I'm not worried about saving some kind of "scene", I just want to discover good music, regardless of genre. Let Black Metals' corpse rest in peace.

I agree.
But it still makes angry. Who cares if black metal has "sold out", true black metal will still be remembered, as Maximus said "what we do in life echoes in eternity"

October 08, 2006, 07:05:02 PM
Who cares if black metal has "sold out", true black metal will still be remembered, as Maximus said "what we do in life echoes in eternity"

Who's going to remember it? Compared to the black metal that followed, the early bands sold insignificant amounts of CDs. Most fans now don't even own the early Darkthrone, Immortal or Enslaved albums. All that is going to pass anonymously into history, and what will be left is the crap people make now... COF and Dimmu Borgir "founded" the genre according to this worldview.

In another four years, the WikiPedia entry for black metal will be this:

Started by Venom and Metallica in the 1980s, black metal never really matured until Dimmu Borgir released "Ethrone Darkness Triumphant" and Cradle of Filth made headlines with their innovative "Cruelty and the Beast."

Watch. It'll happen.

euronymous

October 08, 2006, 07:16:25 PM
That false quote is really depressing.

May be some art will survive: I'm thinking of ITNE, for example. According with ..fordummies page stats the Emperor debut is the 9th album most owned by users there :

1.      Metallica        Master of Puppets        2135
2.      Metallica       Ride The Lightning       2056
3.      Slayer (US)       Reign in Blood       1897
4.      Metallica       Kill 'Em All       1870
5.      Metallica       ...And Justice for All       1857
6.      Iron Maiden       The Number of the Beast   1825  
7.      Metallica       Metallica       1628
8.      Iron Maiden       Powerslave       1570
9.      Emperor (Nor)       In the Nightside Eclipse 1532
10.      Megadeth       Rust In Peace       1461

Vajra

October 08, 2006, 07:29:08 PM
That false quote is really depressing.

Yeah, it's quite sad that the small amount of Metal that has exhibited artistic brilliance might be completely lost in 50, let alone 100 years. Probably because it's all underground, there's not much hope of it being recovered even further down the line. Not helpful is the fact that it's youth-music, too.

October 08, 2006, 07:35:57 PM
That's not a terrible list. I wonder though where less mainstream-acceptable works will go. Morbid Angel? Deicide? Burzum?

October 08, 2006, 07:37:24 PM
Considering nothing important has come out in the past decade, is metal really dead...or perhaps we are just too old (/too cold?)

I have argued this with myself only 1,000 times or so but I don't think so. The music I hear now has none of the vitality. There's always been shitty metal, but now the metal is competent but meaningless. I'd prefer shitty metal to such soulless crap.

And how old is too old?

Vajra

October 08, 2006, 07:38:04 PM
If it is dead, nothing has taken its place, eg. Punk Rock - Hardcore Punk, or NWOBHM - Speed Metal.

October 08, 2006, 07:55:24 PM
Too cold was a reference to Darkthrone, suggesting perhaps the latest album is some sort of postmodern work of satire refering not just to themselves...but to (black) metal in it's entirety.

It totally is! They're mocking the corpse of black metal as they have for some time now. No end with class in sight.

Vajra

October 08, 2006, 07:59:34 PM
If it is dead, nothing has taken its place, eg. Punk Rock - Hardcore Punk, or NWOBHM - Speed Metal.

I mean, it's been a while since Rock's been alive, so it seems that Metal was the last real purveyor of artistic youth music. Is it the end of this movement of art, in general? Is it because of the internet, or other floodgates-for-serfs that have opened?

euronymous

October 08, 2006, 08:14:15 PM
That's not a terrible list. I wonder though where less mainstream-acceptable works will go. Morbid Angel? Deicide? Burzum?

Certainly it is not. I only dislike the five entries begginning with ''m'' (and the vocals of one of the other five) and even those are acceptable for many people here too.

What about the less mainstreamlined stuff? well I supposse many fans of Morbid Angel, etc will play their works till death while fans of crappy metal get tired of it into few years or even months.