Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

other metal sites

Re: other metal sites
February 03, 2008, 01:37:49 PM
I liked the way he linked to song titles in this massive essay:

http://www.thebleakhorizon.com/black_metal_philosophy.htm

Yeah, it's cheesy to link to song titles, but kind of a lot of fun too. CTRL-F for "wind of mayhem."

Moses, that's an interesting conjecture. It seems to me that most sources out there praise crap blindly, meaning that if it's new and sounds like death metal, they like it. This is different. I think he's trying to argue for the presence of an indie-rock vein in black metal, and there's clearly grounds for that, although I think it comes after classical, hardcore and 1980s melodic speed metal like Destruction and Rigor Mortis.

I've emailed him and asked about one article. Maybe he's friendly.

February 03, 2008, 01:41:06 PM
This may be true, but the article on utilitarianism was great!

It's best if all of us remember to link to specific articles, because people are so sick of browsing to find things, they'll skip it otherwise.

The article on Utilitarianism is probably his best for stylistic reasons. He kept it short, took a clear path to his point with one half-twist, and then made a clear explanation of the difference between the proposed and the status quo.

A useful observation for anyone who wishes to write effectively.

February 06, 2008, 12:26:51 AM
A site with plenty of trolling opportunities: http://www.blackdeathmetal.com/

February 08, 2008, 06:26:57 AM
http://www.metalhorde.net/

Another easy-to-troll community. Someone referred it to me on the basis that I need to post there because I "have very good thoughts about metal that others should know".

On the 4 or so boards where they try to discuss the music itself and none of the exterior fluff, they attempt to escape nu-metal, metalcore, and that other plastic pseudometal, but mostly they like to appease the masters of their post-count hierarchy and they honestly believe DIMMU BORGIR is tr00 BlAK MEtaLz and Burzum is a wannabe, or some irrelevant shit along lines like that.

Mallgoth kids, and adults, in Hessian-skin clothing.

Whenever you make some kind of rational judgment about a band that doesn't talk about how their guitar distortion sounds so heavy or how their corpse paint patterns look, they mark it off as pseudo-intellectualism or pretension (only after the top hierarchy members do so; the lesser members are too frightened to have their own thoughts) as if you were talking about the latest Radiohead album or something equally pathetic and echo the same thoughts as one another repeatedly.

Places like that make me appreciate this forum much more, to be honest. But trolling is a healthy, hands-on learning experience of others' stupidity, and nothing can ever get much closer to how they think in reality.

What are your favorite bands names? I quite like the sound and meaning of "Abyssic Hate", "Black Hole Generator" and "Make a Change... Kill Yourself"...

Thats right you read it properly slayer is overrated.

Most of their songs are boring, or good but not great.

I really hate their spontaneous solos. They just pop out of nowhere with no warning or build up. That makes them sound really bad and it shows poor songwriting skills.

What do you think?

PS. I know im going to get many "metallica is way overrated" comments and i agree to a certain extent so i dont wanna hear about it. Bitch about that in the "I hate metallica thread".

Same post is essentially reposted, i.e. "Slayer is sooo boring because they make my brain hurt with their simple yet mindbending atonality".

Because Slayer and Metallica are polar opposites in this monochromatic world of absolutes, amirite?

February 10, 2008, 03:20:46 PM
Whenever you make some kind of rational judgment about a band that doesn't talk about how their guitar distortion sounds so heavy or how their corpse paint patterns look, they mark it off as pseudo-intellectualism or pretension (only after the top hierarchy members do so; the lesser members are too frightened to have their own thoughts) as if you were talking about the latest Radiohead album or something equally pathetic and echo the same thoughts as one another repeatedly.

This seems to be how most music forums work. The idea is inclusivity of individual (method), not inclusivity of ideas (whole individual). If you then state you like something because it has ideas, the rabble and liberals scream out that you're an elitist.

To phrase it more simply: You like eating healthy food instead of feces? What are you, an elitist?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Nile577

February 18, 2008, 10:40:21 AM
http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com

This is an interesting site.

chrstphrbnntt

February 18, 2008, 05:19:48 PM

chrstphrbnntt

February 18, 2008, 05:21:58 PM
http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com

This is an interesting site.

Many articles related to Bataille... thanks for the link, looks like a good read.

Nile577

February 18, 2008, 07:54:36 PM

Many articles related to Bataille... thanks for the link, looks like a good read.

Yes, there are interesting articles on Bataille & Xasthur, and Deathspell Omega. The DSO track from the Crushing the Holy Trinity compilation was based on B's writings.

February 20, 2008, 03:08:14 AM
In fact, if one reads the reviews on sites like Encyclopedia Metallum, Black Metal fandom seems to be a little intimidated by the complexity of the music as well as by the obscure, even hermetic language in which the band cloaks it's Satanic theology - like a Lacan of the occult.

its = possessive
it's = contraction of "it is"

COME ON NOW
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

shadowmystic

February 20, 2008, 03:48:23 AM
Grammatical errors aside those reviews are very interesting.  When I listened to the new DSO I heard wankery, but perhaps I missed something?

chrstphrbnntt

February 20, 2008, 05:31:23 PM
Grammatical errors aside those reviews are very interesting.  When I listened to the new DSO I heard wankery, but perhaps I missed something?

You didn't. Try S.V.E.S.T. for a far superior black metal experience in the same vein. Cynical was spot-on with his comments there. After a few weeks with this album, my initial period of overrating anything new/obscure + not horrible is over, and I can safely say it's a damn fine 21st century black metal album.

shadowmystic

February 20, 2008, 10:35:56 PM
I already consider SVEST a truly excellent black metal band.  Perhaps not quite at the same level as the Norwegians but not far behind.

February 21, 2008, 11:53:02 PM
I'm actually quite disappointed by the negative reactions to the site provided by the original poster. So many of the ideas expressed on the website are closely aligned with positions expressed by ANUS both past and present. This should reveal the presence of minds of potential and integrity.

As far as this site being a 'clone'? Well, anyone who thinks that ANUS has expressed unique ideas or somehow has "possession" of these ideas understands nothing about time, history or wisdom itself. There is nothing unique in this whole universe. Originality is a lie. Where things are similar, it is often because they have both stumbled on the same Truth.

I agree that there are elements of the site which suggest that some ideas within haven't fully matured. But surely this is not cause for scorn? Shouldn't it be cause for excitement about finding others on a similar path? Shouldn't one be excited by the prospect of working together?

I sense that some of the locals around here might be either A.) stuck in a siege mentality, as a result of being swamped in morons for too long, or B.) overly concerned with their special uniqueness, and less concerned about getting things done.

I could be totally wrong about that, and if I am, forgive me. It is too easy to suspect others of the failings one sees on a daily basis.

Regardless of all that, it seems that the proper attitude to this website should be one of making contact and seeing is anything fruitful could occur through exchanging ideas and perhaps some collaboration.

February 22, 2008, 12:22:55 AM
If you like SVEST you should check out their side project Asmodée