Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

other metal sites

Re: other metal sites
February 23, 2008, 12:24:53 PM
I agree that there are elements of the site which suggest that some ideas within haven't fully matured.

He listens to Xasthur, and even included them in a "Best-Of List." Enough said.  :P

February 23, 2008, 01:27:52 PM

The modern idea that anyone can be anything they desire, and can "change" particular qualities of their character for the better is one of the many illusions of an egalitarian democracy. No! The truth of the matter is that we come into this world with an already defined character, the nature of which is a combination of traits inherited from the partners of conception. Our personality then is already determined. It is a thought of the deluded to imagine that one can shape and form their own natural identity to their own liking.

This (from "Self-Alienation") is dreadful. He describes exactly the forces of inertia and then champions them as some 'Universal Truth' (without a suggestion of irony at all).

Perhaps he received too much of The Good Book™ in his upbringing and is now rebelling. Whichever, his lack of willing to act - even on his own self - shows a life destined for the cubicle.

Still, he would be an excellent worker under a communist government, what with his joint lack of self-mastery and ambition. Perhaps this is the future right here?

February 23, 2008, 01:56:05 PM
Indeed, no matter how proximate his appreciation of art to the majority of posters here, his whole Weltanschauung is decrepit, slain by the blade of Fatalism. This allows him approval of not only mediocre bands, but ideals that are quite antagonistic to idealist nihilism.

February 23, 2008, 02:11:39 PM
I'm actually quite disappointed by the negative reactions to the site provided by the original poster. So many of the ideas expressed on the website are closely aligned with positions expressed by ANUS both past and present. This should reveal the presence of minds of potential and integrity.

As far as this site being a 'clone'? Well, anyone who thinks that ANUS has expressed unique ideas or somehow has "possession" of these ideas understands nothing about time, history or wisdom itself. There is nothing unique in this whole universe. Originality is a lie. Where things are similar, it is often because they have both stumbled on the same Truth.

That might be true if it wasn't already clear that the aesthetic and purpose is completely co-opted from ANUS, independent of any considerations of originality in some metaphysical sense.  The person running that site clearly didn't "stumble" on the same truths without ANUS, but nobody that I can see is attacking the ideas as false in themselves for that reason.

There is a reason to praise BURZUM over some paltry clone even if their music is functionally similar.

February 24, 2008, 12:49:16 AM
I sense that some of the locals around here might be either A.) stuck in a siege mentality, as a result of being swamped in morons for too long, or B.) overly concerned with their special uniqueness, and less concerned about getting things done.

I think you're right, especially about (a), and for some individuals, (b).

However, you make the same tired error all critics of this site do: attributing these failings to the site or its ideas, when they are universal human failings at this time.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

February 26, 2008, 09:35:42 PM

I think you're right, especially about (a), and for some individuals, (b).

However, you make the same tired error all critics of this site do: attributing these failings to the site or its ideas, when they are universal human failings at this time.

That certainly wasn't the intention. You are correct; the problem is a problem with peoples personalities and behavior in general, and not with any ideological position expressed by this site. The hostile, argumentative tendencies frequently found on this board (this is the nature of boards in general) are actually counterintuitive to bringing more power to our ideas.

Again, I suggest that the problems with the website  in question are grounds for dialogue, as opposed to a "What a fag, he listens to Xastur" stance.

February 26, 2008, 10:20:35 PM
I wouldn't say such websites as www.bleakhorizon.com who adopt a similar style are ripping them off - more or less influenced by the belief system and have a strong understanding of the essences of the music. In truth, they might be less adamant about the negative beliefs regarding Death, Cannibal Corpse or such - but still carry the poweful philosophy behind the music and make some very valuable additions of their own.

March 02, 2008, 12:24:06 PM
I suggest that the problems with the website  in question are grounds for dialogue, as opposed to a "What a fag, he listens to Xastur" stance.

I agree. I think we should consider it, and possibly send him an intelligent list of reasons why Xasthur is lesser. Then again, I think Xasthur make some quality music. The problem is that it floats in a sea of undistinguished music, making it appear like accident more than design. Maybe that's deliberate. I don't know.

The last thing we want to become here are bitter old men sitting in their armchairs, drinking their imported cognac, and discussing why everyone else is an intellectual African-American. We want to praise the good, and lightly dismiss the bad, not wallow in our misery at having discovered it!

I approached the ancient philosopher at his armchair, laptop splayed to the side. Although he had just reached the earth age of 18, his grand wisdom discovered through hours of perusal of ancient texts and modern pop philosophy had aged him to the point where a wispy white beard descended from a prunelike face. That face now contorted inward, as if it were being sucked in by a penetralian void, and suddenly spat out vitriol. "I touched a Xasthur CD! My descendants are cursed... cursed in horror... by this ignominious shame. I must offer myself in prostrate futility for anal congress by the purple-assed baboon, or the meth-addicted orang utan. I alone can comprehend the true depths of horror and mediocrity in this CD, and like Christ on the cross, I must absorb them into myself and die horribly of them, or at least go on to graduate school in accounting."

Anyway.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

March 02, 2008, 10:31:49 PM
The last thing we want to become here are bitter old men sitting in their armchairs, drinking their imported cognac, and discussing why everyone else is an intellectual African-American. We want to praise the good, and lightly dismiss the bad, not wallow in our misery at having discovered it!

Opportunity cost is one of those natural laws which is inseparable from nature itself. The sheer amount of energy put into bemoaning this site's existence must be exhaustive, ill spent, better reserved for the acquisition of additional energy in a positive feedback loop.

That, and to do otherwise immediately brings to mind every nerd with a persecution complex and a keyboard on the planet.

March 11, 2008, 10:45:09 PM

This seems to be how most music forums work. The idea is inclusivity of individual (method), not inclusivity of ideas (whole individual). If you then state you like something because it has ideas, the rabble and liberals scream out that you're an elitist.

To phrase it more simply: You like eating healthy food instead of feces? What are you, an elitist?

you dont know how often ive felt this way when attempting to state my view against some COF-praising idiot on a forum.

O HEY U DONT LEIK THIS BAND? UR AN ELITIST LOL!

makes my skin crawl. most of the time people using the word "elitist" in a negative way know next to nothing about what the word ACTUALLY MEANS.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 12, 2008, 03:45:40 PM
I am an elitist.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

March 12, 2008, 06:58:08 PM
I'm a lapsing elitist.