Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Beethoven

Re: Beethoven
February 23, 2008, 12:31:20 PM
Dude, just use them to chillout once in a while, but they are nothing more than a way to chillout, they don't help you to achieve anything other than relaxation. Not using them in excess is a more important consideration.

The fact that Beethoven was one of the first composers to have a truly "big" sound is what makes him so special for me. Both his orchestral works and his piano sonatas have a lot more power than his predacessors.

February 24, 2008, 12:50:30 AM
Even if Beethoven composed on doorbells and a casio keyboard, his music would be immortal, especially after someone recorded it via a symphony.

March 14, 2008, 02:47:46 AM
I thought I was weird for finding parallels between Beethoven's symphonies and a lot of metal.  I spent a couple weeks listening to Beethoven a lot, and I started thinking that if the material was performed on more modern instruments, it would likely fit into a metal album.  Its a cool thought.

I'm actually working on this. It's a lot of fun to arrange Beethoven for metal instruments. I just do the piano sonotas, not the symphonies, because it's perfect for metal instrumentation; guitar (RH) guitar+bass (LH) and drums, three string instruments can generally handle the piano parts.

I still like playing the sonatas on piano the best though.

Once the album is finished I'll upload here just for another version of Beethoven to absorb. I play it in a somewhat dramatic way with plenty of dynamic changes and rubato. It's always bothered me to listen to Korean and Chinese pianists playing beethoven because they sound like midi.. exactly on perfect rhythm and notes but not understanding the emotion or the melodic progressions in a theoretica sense.

Good for someone to start Beethoven a topic of his own! Glad to see he's appreciated by many, certainly so by me, I plan to be  a concert Beethoven pianist for my career.

We need more uploads in audiofile. I'll see if I can upload the Brendel sonata cycle.

March 22, 2008, 02:16:27 PM
It's always bothered me to listen to Korean and Chinese pianists playing beethoven because they sound like midi.. exactly on perfect rhythm and notes but not understanding the emotion or the melodic progressions in a theoretica sense.

It's just as bad as the African method, which is to put so much swing on every note that rhythm becomes this false organic muddle.

March 22, 2008, 10:09:38 PM
much of the classical music 'scene' of today is pure meaningless skill performed by the upper crust of our worthless consumer reality. there's not much cultural insight - worse still many indo-europeans probably encourage the influx of foreign nationalities in an attempt to deconstuct the integral culture and tradition of european art - a consequence of the post-modern egalitarian soul-cancer in 'educated' people.

March 23, 2008, 10:27:18 PM
I would love to hear that.  I've always kind of been interested, but the only thing I've every heard are Fur Elise covers by wannabe virtuosos.

I'm actually not quite as familiar with the piano sonatas as I would like to be.  I am more into the symphonies myself, but I'll definitely check that out and tell you what I think.

And I agree that dynamic changes are 100% necessary.

March 27, 2008, 02:48:20 AM
My best bro (who I live with) just picked up a mic the other day so as soon as I have time I'm going to record the 17th to start.

March 27, 2008, 03:46:42 AM
much of the classical music 'scene' of today is pure meaningless skill performed by the upper crust of our worthless consumer reality. there's not much cultural insight - worse still many indo-europeans probably encourage the influx of foreign nationalities in an attempt to deconstuct the integral culture and tradition of european art - a consequence of the post-modern egalitarian soul-cancer in 'educated' people.

And why are the wills of classical music copyrighted to those of European descent? If the music of Beethoven have been written by a black slave would it metamorphosis into a grotesque gesture? It is ludicrous to think that the human will has the confines of boarders and race. Classical music is European in origin but it is human in spirit. To deny any man the pleasure of this pursuit seems one of the cruelest acts man can know.

The Greeks gained culture by imitating the east, the Romans from the Greeks, do they lack culture because they took from a superior source? We enrich those to whom we give classical music, not defile an indefilable expression of human triumph of will.

March 27, 2008, 04:20:29 AM
Relating to the question of art, race is not "nothing". Race is the vessel. It is not nothing, but it is not what the vessel contains, either. What the vessel contains is Truth.

March 27, 2008, 07:54:17 AM

And why are the wills of classical music copyrighted to those of European descent? If the music of Beethoven have been written by a black slave would it metamorphosis into a grotesque gesture? It is ludicrous to think that the human will has the confines of boarders and race. Classical music is European in origin but it is human in spirit. To deny any man the pleasure of this pursuit seems one of the cruelest acts man can know.

The Greeks gained culture by imitating the east, the Romans from the Greeks, do they lack culture because they took from a superior source? We enrich those to whom we give classical music, not defile an indefilable expression of human triumph of will.

i didn't mean it like that. of course anyone in any time can relate to a beautiful higher culture as it occurs in the arts; and at a certian level it surpasses race, but it doesn't eschew it or have some pathetic moralistic reaction against it like the modern west has.

to deny race and the beauty of its inherent culture behind an artform is every bit as ludicrous. ideally we should be inspired by the best elements of other cultures/peoples, but our perception of it is based on our own cultural filters. nothing copies entirely, even under force.

anyway, in this situation mentioned, modern europeans are racially suicidal whilst the chinese are a mass-consuming, imitating supervirus - the two only help each other degenerate. it's obviously not going to work the other way, with europeans ported over into traditional chinese music. why?

March 27, 2008, 06:17:11 PM
And why are the wills of classical music copyrighted to those of European descent?

Because:

1) That's who created it
2) That's the spirit in it

It would not have been created by anyone else. Why do foxes not fly? They've clearly brainwashed you well in this regard.

Africa, Asia and near Asia all have their own forms of classical music. But no two cultures, nor any two people, are equal, unless they've reached a lowest common denominator.

March 27, 2008, 06:19:56 PM
Relating to the question of art, race is not "nothing".

Oh, here we go with the tedious race debate, with revenge-seeking brainwashed liberals on one side and people uninformed about what they're trying to defend on another.

Heritage -- race is too broad a term -- is inseparable from other parts of individuals and nations. Culture, language, values, heritage, and soul are all part of the same construction, just like how smarter people tend to be healthier, better-looking, more morally aware than others.

You can't be a dumbass consumer modern shithead and separate out interlocked things, but that's what people want to do. Race is part of the whole. Both sides seem to want to deny that and it's really fucking immature.

Anyone who isn't proud of his or her heritage is defective, or comes from a defective heritage.

March 27, 2008, 07:16:19 PM

Oh, here we go with the tedious race debate, with revenge-seeking brainwashed liberals on one side and people uninformed about what they're trying to defend on another.

You may want to tone down the knee-jerk cynicism a bit. What you're describing wasn't occuring.

March 27, 2008, 10:26:08 PM
Well, yes, it was extreme, and you know that I admire MCTS and his posts here, but:

I think he had an off-day. Or, he believes this, but will soon realize it's a mental trend and should be purged from any thinking realist's mind.

We're metalheads, we're supposed to shock and offend.

March 29, 2008, 01:59:40 PM
Another good thread derailed.

I have to say that Brahm's 4th Symphony and Beethoven's 7th are heavier than 90% of metal, if by "heavy" we mean a fusion of the existential with the meaningful in life as a holistic construct.

An example of this fusion would be the quests of yore. A lone individual sets out with an idea far bigger than him or herself, and through struggle accomplishes it, benefitting the order of the world as whole more than for individual profit.

That idea -- echoed in Romantic thought, idealistic philosophy, Vedanta, vir, traditionalism, common sense, comic books and zombie films -- is exactly what metal's about.

Beethoven MP3s
Brahms MP3s

If you like those, and fully understand them, you should treat yourself right and get the Beethoven - 9 Symphonies ($25) and Brahms - 4 Symphonies ($12) box sets.