Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

most metal ambient

most metal ambient
February 24, 2008, 04:28:02 AM
most of us are aware that (black) metal music has over the last, eh, 15 years or so incorporated elements of ambient music or imitated ambient structure in a metal context. Transilvanian Hunger, Pure Holocaust, any Ildjarn, Sort Vokter, Summoning, and occassionally Graveland come to mind. but hey, what about ambient music which (coincidentally) is evocative of the same sort of moods and landscapes? Here's some of my favorites to (hopefully) get something started:

Biosphere - substrata [or really any his work; substrata just happens to be the best]
When - The Black Death (Svartedauen) [only album which genuinely scares me]
When - Black White and Grey
Lustmord - Heresy [there are many, many works in the 'dark ambient' category which are very derivative of this]

more 'gothic' than ambient:
The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud - any [the quality of their output was inconsistent, but their unglamorous take on medievalism was very much in the metal spirit]
Monumentum - In Absenti Christi [somewhat misty-eyed but strangely sinister and resolute in its blasphemous attitude]

Re: most metal ambient
February 24, 2008, 02:26:33 PM
The obvious one is Evening Star by Fripp/Eno.

Endura has released a few ambient/darkwave releases which I would classify in this same category in Great God Pan and Black Eden.

February 26, 2008, 11:48:29 PM
Many bands in the dark ambient field have deep roots in the metal underground, and i'm not only speaking about parallel projects from current metal bands members (which are many), but about people who were active in death or (mostly) black metal bands and quit them to focus on ambient.

I think about Ildjarn or Burzum, or maybe not so familiar for metal fans, Svartsinn, MZ412, Aghast or Kammarheit.

I'd dare to say that the genre itself is intensely influenced by black metal from its very beginning.

chrstphrbnntt

February 26, 2008, 11:57:47 PM
I'd dare to say that the genre itself is intensely influenced by black metal from its very beginning.

Coil, Lustmord, Zoviet France, and many others disagree with you.

February 27, 2008, 12:42:10 AM
Industrial and electronica existed before black metal. People always mention Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Fripp/Eno, all of which happened in the 1970s and predated all of this.

Dark ambient  may be a different category. I don't know, but I like consistency in argument.

February 27, 2008, 03:39:41 AM

I'd say it's actually the other way around. BM was always compatible with Ambient, and at its peak, eschewed the last bits of rock that Death Metal still carried for whatever reason, and adopted a compositional style that was based on the organic growth/decay of motifs. Listen to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Transilvanian Hunger and Forest Poetry, followed by some of these Ambient releases. You'll see how BM started to morph into a simpler-yet-more-fundamentally-complex language
in an attempt to express more meaningful content, take you into more vivid worlds and avoid artistic death (the whole "kvltness" delusion). Meanwhile, the less imaginative and the less creative were slopping together any piece of shit with a predictable style of production and calling it "True Satanic Art." Most people to this day are still lost in this illusion, and are oblivious to what truly makes BM so majestic.

Maybe you were referring to a subsequent, perhaps reactionary wave of Ambient [Dark Ambient; Black Ambient; Death Ambient] that took the aesthetics and feeling of Black Metal and Doom as influences. In that case, I'd mention Beherit's final two albums. They epitomized that dark, nasty yet mystical feeling their Metal releases conveyed.
MZ.412 did this. So did Abruptum. And they were toying with these ideas even before the Inner Circle formed (also quite similar to the concept the original Mayhem had in the mid 80's, but a different way of going about it). The complete sterility and bleakness of 20.SV goes quite hand-in-hand with BM, and I can see the cross genre appeal it carries. Lustmord himself doesn't appear to be much of a Metal fan, but his music is darker than anything I've heard in Metal; Black or otherwise.

Biosphere and Ildjarn - Hardangervidda are taking the isolationist, Naturalist route and this is a different angle than the rest. Music like this is fundamentally praising and glorifying the same ideals and qualities as the good Metal, but untainted by angst or any negative emotions.