Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal album covers

Raise_the_Dead

Re: Metal album covers
February 26, 2008, 07:41:43 PM
To clarify my question... I meant bands that have done their own album art, i.e., the cover for Det Som En Gang Var, which I'm pretty sure Varg drew himself.

EDIT: Averse Sefira definitely comes close.  I think that Battle's Clarion (the only one I've heard so far) feels less like an album and more like a compilation of songs and ambient pieces.

February 26, 2008, 08:11:22 PM
The only band I can think of who's done this so far is Burzum... any others?

You're mistaken. The only cover art Vikernes ever made himself were the photos of Fantoft for Aske and the Demo I, and perhaps the heptagram drawing for the Demo II.

chrstphrbnntt

February 26, 2008, 09:12:38 PM

You're mistaken. The only cover art Vikernes ever made himself were the photos of Fantoft for Aske and the Demo I, and perhaps the heptagram drawing for the Demo II.

That, and the cover for Det som en gang var (this is the proper way to capitalize Nordic titles, by the way; Satan rir media, etc.) is based off of artwork for The Temple of Elemental Evil.

February 26, 2008, 11:27:11 PM

i've always loved this painting. it expresses the infinite nature of the machinery of time and the intrinsic meaninglessness of the individual journey outside of the self.

it would have been interesting if darkthrone continued on the technical death metal path, if they kept rehearsing the material that later became 'goatlord' and made a follow up to this masterpiece.

February 27, 2008, 12:04:53 AM
speaking of darkthrone,

Raise_the_Dead

February 27, 2008, 02:28:05 AM

Ah okay.  Maybe I should stop reading metalarchives :-/

February 27, 2008, 02:38:49 AM

That, and the cover for Det som en gang var (this is the proper way to capitalize Nordic titles, by the way; Satan rir media, etc.) is based off of artwork for The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Norsk and English both share similar capitalization rules, as opposed to German; for captions of books and songtitles there exists to my experience an exception: "the standard rule in the English [and German] language is to capitalize words that are the first or the last word in the title and those that are not coordinating conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so), prepositions (in, to, over), articles (an, a, the), or the word to when used to form an infinitive. Note that short verbs (Is, Are, Do) and pronouns (Me, It, His) are capitalized. Do not replicate stylized typography in logos and album art, though a redirect may be appropriate"

February 27, 2008, 03:46:38 AM

Metal Archives' entry on DSEV actually listed the source.  ::)

February 27, 2008, 12:30:39 PM
To clarify my question... I meant bands that have done their own album art, i.e., the cover for Det Som En Gang Var, which I'm pretty sure Varg drew himself.

EDIT: Averse Sefira definitely comes close.  I think that Battle's Clarion (the only one I've heard so far) feels less like an album and more like a compilation of songs and ambient pieces.

Quorthon the legendary cover of Bathory's first album. And he created the concept for "Under the Sign of the Black Mark", the cover itself was actually a photograph.

February 27, 2008, 08:21:05 PM
No, actually Jos. A. Smith drew the Bathory goat (same guy who did the artwork on the new AVRS).

Quorthon took it from a book on witchcraft that Jos. illustrated.

February 27, 2008, 10:15:08 PM
I read that he peiced it together from various cheesy horrer comics, i could be wrong in this, please correct me. But i am interested to hear of other bands that have created their own cover art, concept or art itself.

February 27, 2008, 11:20:41 PM
"A piece of one of my illustrations from WITCHES by Erica Jong, was used for the logo for the group BATHOR[sic] which is regarded as the "father" of this particular sub genre of heavy metal."

http://www.drawger.com/jos/

euronymous

February 28, 2008, 02:42:53 PM

Metalarchives says what it was supposed always to be: a drawing by Janicke Wise-Hansen, like in the Burzum album.

February 29, 2008, 09:45:10 AM

Dethrone The Son Of God (which has been referred to as 'humorous' several times, anyone have this impression?)

I love the original cover of this one. The contrast of a sunny meadow and Paul ledney with a bloody face and doing that ridiculous pose is both humorous and meaningful in some way i can't put my finger on. Too bad on the reissue they darkened the scene.

Norsk and English both share similar capitalization rules, as opposed to German; for captions of books and songtitles there exists to my experience an exception: "the standard rule in the English [and German] language is to capitalize words that are the first or the last word in the title and those that are not coordinating conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so), prepositions (in, to, over), articles (an, a, the), or the word to when used to form an infinitive. Note that short verbs (Is, Are, Do) and pronouns (Me, It, His) are capitalized. Do not replicate stylized typography in logos and album art, though a redirect may be appropriate"

Yeah, that's right, and to clarify, it's english prepositions of 5 letters or less that are left uncapitalized.

February 29, 2008, 12:06:56 PM