Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

College

Re: College
September 15, 2008, 07:46:14 PM
I still can't see any of the new replies to this thread. Please send me a private message if I'm the only one with this problem.

September 15, 2008, 08:06:09 PM
Nah, I can't see new replies either. Something is broken.

September 16, 2008, 02:40:07 AM
So what are anyon'es suggestions for suitable colllege courses for a nihilist? Just curious because I was thinking about attending college sometime in the future, so help me here.

September 28, 2008, 07:02:30 PM
University of Waterloo for environmental engineering. It is one of the few universities in Canada that have a male population over 50%, due to its focus on engineering, math, and the hard sciences.

I find that the overall ethos is extremely liberal. They push gay and woman's rights up our asses. There are so many scholarships, seminars and shit for females in engineering. Females make up less than 15% of the engineering students here, and are typically those small Asian chicks.

I took an cultural anthropology course last term, hoping for some content on anthropometrics. Sadly, it was about Pygmies and how we are all the same on the inside.

I posted several sodomy fliers around campus, only to find them all removed after about a week. Better luck next time, I guess.

Oh, and if there's anyone else 'round this here parts interested in posting fliers, by all means contact me. I found it fairly difficult to tape them up as I tried to make sure they were hard to remove.

October 12, 2008, 11:22:42 PM
Yet Adolf Hitler had great dedication, he didn't pointlessly indulge in all luxuries every day. He overworked himself. That doesn't sound like your getting bribes to follow what someone else wants you to do.

Don't go down this year and waste possibly years of your life trying to empathise and reason with such a counter-cultural icon who nevertheless was an avenue of failure and an unimportant symbol. Move on. Apologies if I assuming anything incorrectly.

October 13, 2008, 01:20:23 AM
Listen.  If you don't like the way discussions work in your class add your two cents and take it upon YOURSELF to steer the discussion in different ways.  Raise your fucking hand and speak up.

October 13, 2008, 04:22:42 AM
he didn't pointlessly indulge in all luxuries every day.

And injecting speed three times a day isn't a pointless luxury? He was a man with his head in the clouds, a hopeless romantic who could only hold himself together by controlling his external environment. He did do some beneficial things but I can say little good of his character.

October 13, 2008, 05:48:34 PM
I think it's funny how there's a whole body of people that criticize the delusion of the modernity, but believe that leveling an evaluation of the character of someone they have never met is time well spent.

Why do you need to reply in an indirect, cunning hipster tone to put your pointless (and incorrect) message across?

If you want to see intelligent metalheads become lost to the mongoloids at Stormfront then keep encouraging Hitler-worship.

October 17, 2008, 10:08:12 AM
I think it's funny how there's a whole body of people that criticize the delusion of the modernity, but believe that leveling an evaluation of the character of someone they have never met is time well spent.

Why do you need to reply in an indirect, cunning hipster tone to put your pointless (and incorrect) message across?

If you want to see intelligent metalheads become lost to the mongoloids at Stormfront then keep encouraging Hitler-worship.

This is foolishness. Recognizing the stronger points of, shall we say "unpopular" leaders/figures in history is fully encouraged here, be it Hitler, Stalin or what have you, just as conversely, criticising Christs and various modern messiah-types are also. Most "Intelligent metalheads" at this site know the difference between "Hitler-worship" and simply seeing historical situations or individuals objectively rather than through the prism of purely subjective "history" or typically hysterical morality judgements, etc.     

October 17, 2008, 04:18:24 PM
I think you misinterpreted my statement, I was not saying anything contrary to what you've stated.

October 17, 2008, 07:34:41 PM
I graduated in four years.  Got the hell out as quickly as I could and skipped my graduation ceremony.  I went to a massive state school in the middle of nowhere called Northern Illinois University, where, unsurprisingly, a gunman went on a rampage last February.  The university was miserable but I didn't care because I went there to study acting.  I had the option of going to Paul McCartney's school in Liverpool with a scholarship, the Hartt Conservatory with a scholarship, and a few others.  I chose NIU because I thought I'd get the training I needed. 

It was actually the first mature decision I ever made, I think.  I had talent, but no craft, and my professor either trained or at various times coached about every great actor you can think of.  I am still paying the price for choosing an arts major, though.  First of all, there's no money in it.  I left school with no skills and now I work at a cafe during the week and I wait tables on the weekends, plus I rehearse weekday nights.  I work harder for less money than almost anyone I know and I don't get weekends free.  But the worst part of choosing an arts major (especially if the art is acting) is that people in general have no clue what it is that you studied for 18 credit hours every semester.  They don't know that it takes time, practice, research, dedication, and disappointment.  They're certain it can't be that hard.  They're certain they could do it themselves.  And why not?  DeNiro makes it look easy, so it must be.  That's the worst part.  The lack of money just comes with the territory, but the lack of respect has cost me many angry, sleepless nights. 

Nonetheless, I wouldn't have done anything different if I had it to do over again.  If I had studied computer technology, my life would have been completely valueless.  (No offense to CPU Tech people, I'm just talking about MY life.) And that would probably have been worse than the scores of imbeciles I have to put up with who think I was grooming myself for stardom but failed.  It's worth it to choose a major that's right for you.  Because if you don't you'll have nothing but regrets, and all the money in the world won't change that.  I know this sounds cliche but I believe it's true.

Maybe if regular people could get decent-paying, satisfying jobs, they wouldn't have this silly need to go to uni.

Of course, my experience may have been different from yours but I know bartenders that make more than corporate attorneys.  I think if you're hell-bent on making a decent life for yourself then you'll do it, no matter what.  That's why I think it's necessary to have a better reason to seek advanced education than just the prospect of making six figures.

October 17, 2008, 11:54:36 PM
I think you misinterpreted my statement, I was not saying anything contrary to what you've stated.

Okay then...

October 23, 2008, 09:08:04 PM
So, are we to conclude that there are no good schools in all the U.S.? No one has given praise to any school.

On a more personal matter...
I have a 3.5 weighted GPA and got a 1440 on the SAT math and reading combined. I assumed I was a shoe-in to almost any school, but I just read that Stanford was looking for students with a GPA 4.5 and up. The requirements to get into a good college have always been exaggerated and I really don't have a clue what is needed. Any help with that? Also I'm hispanic and have no clue how much being hispanic increases my chance of getting into a good college and no one seems to know.

October 23, 2008, 11:41:08 PM
^ I went to the University of Wisconsin and loved it.  Yeah, I guess my professors were mainly "liberals" but they always seemed open minded to all points of view.  If you made your points well and backed them up in your papers, you got a good grade, it was that simple, there was no "agenda."  I was never really frustatred with any of my professors.  I majored in English, but also took some Philosophy classes, Film classes, History of Science classes.  Discussions were vigorous and all points of view were welcomed - you were not scoffed at for not being a "liberal."  But basically you get out what you put into it.

October 24, 2008, 08:43:44 PM
I don't know if they look at weighted or unweighted. All the information I'm given is very inconsistent. I always figured that weighted is what they looked at because people need GPAs over 4.0 to get into some colleges. My unweighted is 2.4. I'm definitely going to raise it to a B though.