Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

College

Re: College
December 06, 2008, 10:57:43 AM
Education is a sham. You might get some knowledge tangentially while you're there, but the main things they try to instill in you are obedience and submitting to do work for authority figures. Intelligence plays a small factor since even the most lukewarm sponge can pass through the system if he puts in enough work, IE does what he is told unquestioningly. What better way to prepare people for the unnatural rigors of wage slavery than to put them through a system from an early age which forces them to do large amounts of work for no reward (a letter grade? lol)? The sooner you inculcate obedience into people, the more they will be satisfied with a pittance of a salary and the easier it is for them to be distracted by the gadgets, plastic and moronic entertainment that they'll spend their "hard-earned" money on.

chb

December 06, 2008, 11:38:18 AM
See, this is why you should study a "hard" science (physics, chemistry, biology) or math if you're smart enough. Engineering is good choice, too. These subjects require you to think and you can't get through them just with memorizing textbooks. Mathematics (which is what I plan to study) is especially useful in this regard. Even if you don't plan on working in a  field that has to do with maths or science, the kind of thinking you learn there will be useful no matter what you do. Stuff like history, literature and philosophy is interesting but I believe you're better off if you do studies on these subjects on your own.

December 06, 2008, 10:36:34 PM
I'll just repeat the mantra that has been pervading this thread.  If you go to college study a factually based field (Math, Science, Engineering), because the humanities are bullshit.  I went to college for a little while.  I was exposed to more liberal, politically correct bullshit in one week than I had ever seen in my whole life.  I was majoring in math, which was fine.  However, I ended up basically being kicked out of the school.  I was informed by some administrative cunt that certain professors (like my English professor), felt I was not properly socialized.  They said the views I expressed were offensive and threatening.  They even called the cops on me once for expressing the view that teachers should carry weapons with them in case some asshole tries to shoot up the school.  After that they made it very clear that I was no longer welcome at the university, so I left.

December 06, 2008, 11:02:52 PM
how did they manage that? it seems like something pretty easy to counteract through legal venues, although i suppose it wasn't important enough to do so. all the same, what university was that?
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

December 06, 2008, 11:09:16 PM
See, this is why you should study a "hard" science (physics, chemistry, biology) or math if you're smart enough. Engineering is good choice, too. These subjects require you to think and you can't get through them just with memorizing textbooks.

How is memorizing reaction schemes for organic chemistry and which reactant produces which addition/substitution/elimination any different from memorizing historical facts? At least historical facts are somehow relevant to the broader future of humanity, technical bullshit and applying formulas are soul-sucking minutiae that only someone with a technical profession in mind would whip himself into finding interesting.

December 07, 2008, 12:12:47 AM
See, this is why you should study a "hard" science (physics, chemistry, biology) or math if you're smart enough. Engineering is good choice, too. These subjects require you to think and you can't get through them just with memorizing textbooks.
How is memorizing reaction schemes for organic chemistry and which reactant produces which addition/substitution/elimination any different from memorizing historical facts?
It's different because it eliminates the need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the compounds and their functions. One can make rather good guesses if something's carcinogenic, virilizing, androgenic, etc just by motifs in a compound's structure. As you said, it isn't really helpful for someone not interested in medicine or engineering, but why would you take classes in something you're not interested/good at, anyways? Moot point.

Following up with what people have said, many liberal arts classes are not only dull but can frustrate someone knowledgeable or with sufficient intuition to know the teacher's interpretations are confused and full of misinterpretations. In college, history suffers from interpretation of events and ideologies in a vacuum and without the proper context of the destiny of mankind. What I mean is interpretations are done in a moralistic framework, paying attention to the small details and confusing the means to an end with the end itself.

I have found that there are still holistic subjects one can take, at least in my university. Geology and religion classes are two that come to mind, while many non-Marxist fields of sociology can also be very educational, especially thanatology. I don't know what Economics is like, but it also looks like an interesting subject. A lot of parallels can be drawn between economic phenomena and natural phenomena.

It's not too hard, really. Just take a lot of different classes in your first year to see what appeals to you if you're not interested in the hard sciences or engineering. My primary suggestions would be geology, religion, or sociology. If you're artistically inclined, music classes are great if only because retards tend to veer away from them. From my experience music in these classes is approached as an art with attention paid to both form and content.

December 07, 2008, 12:29:14 AM
how did they manage that? it seems like something pretty easy to counteract through legal venues, although i suppose it wasn't important enough to do so. all the same, what university was that?

It was a university in the north eastern United States.  I'd rather not get any more specific.

Basically, campuses now have speech codes and tolerance policies.  You sign a contract when you go there agreeing to these policies.  These policies essentially state that you may never say anything that offends or threatens another individual, and on top of that, you may not question and are held accountable to people's perceptions of your words.  Therefore, if ANYBODY at the school reads or hears something I say and even perceives it as a threat, then by school policy I have threatened that person.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the legal system.  When the cops read what I had written they simply laughed at it and immediately dismissed the case (before official charges had even been brought).  However, according to school policy they could still discipline me however they saw fit.  While the school was determining what action to take, I was informed by a student services lady that the views I was expressing were unacceptable by school policy and had no place in an academic setting.  She went on to tell me that if I continued to say the types of things I was saying, they would keep taking action against me and possibly suspend  and/or expel me.  This seemed like way too much of a hassle for me, so I simply dropped out.

It should also be noted that my English teacher was one of those abused and resentful homosexuals who takes out all their hatred for their "white trash" (his words) parents on society.

December 07, 2008, 02:17:28 AM
Anyone know what is needed to get into a good school that isn't completely filled with idiots? I'm in the top 15% of my class (May jump into top 10%) which means I have good grades, I don't know what I'll get on the ACT but last practice one I took over a year ago I got a 24-27 range. Though I will be preparing come January for when I take it in the first week of April. I have a couple extracurriculars and basically no volunteering.

Though this ranting takes me no where. How many of you did volunteering or what did you do to get into college? Did you get into a good, hard to get into college?
Hi.

It appears to me all American colleges are filled with idiots. Remember Andrew Lahde's retirement letter? The worst of the worst are infiltrating even Ivy League colleges. You don't need to the top universities to have a good college experience, although I would veer away from schools known for devious behavior.

It's sufficient to just prove to colleges that you're an interesting and qualified person. The volunteering you're asked to do is just a way to show that you're in touch with reality or that you're living life. Although bullshit like working in a soup kitchen is technically volunteering, colleges don't really care about that, especially since everyone's doing that.

I volunteered working at the local observatory during Public Nights, operating a 26.25" refractor telescope and interacting with the public telling them what they were looking at, the history of the telescope, etc. Since I was applying as an astrophysics major at the time, this was very relevant to my field. I also volunteered for this local Latino organization (I'm Salvadoran) as their webmaster. I had a friend that worked with a plastic surgeon and a neurosurgeon duo working on reconstructing the heads of patients who had suffered some sort of head trauma. There are certainly different avenues one can pursue for volunteer activity.

You do have options, and if at the end you're not really feeling college remember that you can always take some time off before going to college. I would always recommend this over going to college unprepared. Plus, the older you are, the more serious you're considered by colleges.

December 08, 2008, 11:56:26 PM
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the people replying don't appear to have gone to college. Please only post if you have actually attended college or if you haven't, make it clear that you haven't.

How is memorizing reaction schemes for organic chemistry and which reactant produces which addition/substitution/elimination any different from memorizing historical facts? At least historical facts are somehow relevant to the broader future of humanity, technical bullshit and applying formulas are soul-sucking minutiae that only someone with a technical profession in mind would whip himself into finding interesting.

You think people have to force themselves to like this material. This is completely false. I find this material fascinating to no end. It helps you understand the fundamental principles of the universe. You understand why things happen and how. I really can't think of anything more interesting than understanding how the universe works. Also, it appears that your only experience with chemistry is high school chemistry, which is apparent by your comment of, "which reactant produces which addition/substitution/elimination." Chemistry is much more complicated than that. That is just an introductory class which you took which only shows the most basic aspects of chemistry.

It was a university in the north eastern United States.  I'd rather not get any more specific.

Are you scared or something? Giving a specific school would be very helpful because we'll know to avoid that school which is the purpose of this thread.

I have a specific question about something that I have seen in many letters from colleges. A lot of them say that they have a "liberal arts style" or something to that effect. What they mean by it is that while you still take classes working to your major, you have freedom to take classes completely unrelated to your major. I can't tell if this is true freedom or a lie. They may just let you take only four unrelated classes or something so that they can make the claim. I can't tell. Also they say that they tie in different subjects together. For example, a physics major would be taught history in their classes to understand the impact of different discoveries on history and human philosophies. I think most of it is bull, but I'm sure at least some schools do do it and do it effectively. I would like to hear people's experiences with these types of colleges or anything they've heard.

Finally, something that I have a lot of questions about is studying abroad. Is there anything to gain from it? Do you actually get to go out and see the world and do you get the same quality education? Some colleges I've looked at say that ALL their students must study abroad to graduate. I thought it sounded interesting but I have my doubts about it.

December 09, 2008, 12:06:44 AM
Quote from: beyond_godlike
Are you scared or something? Giving a specific school would be very helpful because we'll know to avoid that school which is the purpose of this thread.

Actually, I just don't like giving out anything that could constitute personal information on internet forums.

It should be noted that these policies aren't unique to this school.  Many colleges all over the United States have all sorts of bullshit p.c. campus regulations.

Also, the "liberal arts style" education can mean different things depending on what school it is.  Some schools that make that claim are full of shit and don't offer any real choice, while others do.  You basically just have to get as much specific information about the school as you can.

December 09, 2008, 12:16:57 PM
What I don't get about this thread:

How is academia any different from the rest of society?

The Crowd has taken over academia, but also politics, advertising, the political face of science, and so forth.

You are going to coexist with these people and their illusion. You can't run from it. You can't directly fight it. You can indirectly fight it by ignoring it, writing it off as illusory, and quietly acting on alternate ideas -- while taking a leadership role in your community (acting anti-Crowdist in your dorm room is ineffective and gives you no bragging rights on the intarkvlt).

You either become effective, or you don't. That's the real truth we're wrangling with here.

If your IQ is 120 or above, you really do want to go to college and probably graduate school in order to become effective.

When you become effective, all your bold opinions that you type out in internet screeds become something you can act upon by not accepting the Crowdist lie, by acting independently, by encouraging others to be cynical about manifestations of the Crowdist principle, and by using your ideas to make things better in a different way.

You don't get to be dictator overnight. But each person that acts out from the dogma shows the dogma to be incomplete in its control and thus defeatable.

However, until you're succeeding at something tangible, it's just more bloviation by basement-dwellers. Go to college. Stop making excuses for your failure and 4-inch-dicks. Go on. Fight and win. Or fight and die. But either way, you stopped your own impotence and pretense in progress.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

December 09, 2008, 03:00:29 PM
I don't think that anybody here is saying that education is useless or that you shouldn't try.  This thread is simply reflecting the simple fact that a great deal of college is bullshit because

Quote from: ASBO
The Crowd has taken over academia

Anyway, you're right.  Anybody who wishes to be effective in this society will most likely have to go through higher education.  I hope I wasn't giving anybody the wrong idea with my earlier posts.  I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't bother with college.  I was simply trying to use my experience as a heads up for others.  Know exactly what your school's policies are so the same shit doesn't happen to you.

December 10, 2008, 07:40:50 AM
I have a Batchelor of Applied Science, which is considered mandatory in the field I work in. That said however, I felt totally let down by the whole University/College/or whatever the fuck it is called in your country experience. Most people tended to look down on everyone once studying a degree, and this exclusive arrogance is often taken into the workplace, which really fucks me off. I find in my field the ones with the degrees are the least practical and most useless assholes in the job. I would rather have a 40 year old drunk who had been in the game for 20 years, than some dumbfuck with a sheet of paper and his fucked up uni student views.. And they never usually seem to learn otherwise, they just expect people to worship them. The funniest thing is that whilst in Uni, half of these Clowns are out protesting on behalf of whatever faggot cause they deem trendy at the time, in between seeing some fuckwad mainstream trendy band, and promising to change the world. However there are exceptions to the rule!
Personally I think Uni courses should be more practical based, giving more face time with the industry these plebs are entering, so that they can get a better understanding of the real world. Also more effort needs to be spent on teaching how to appreciate others in the workforce, it would save a lot of "accidents" involving some of these high horse fucks.
Maybe I am old fashioned, or my upbringing was too lower class, but I hate uni students!  Look at what they made the Greek Police do the other day!
All in all, a degree is not an automatic key to higher status than the average joe, and some people need to realise this.
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

December 11, 2008, 03:43:04 PM
Anybody who wishes to be effective in this society will most likely have to go through higher education.  I hope I wasn't giving anybody the wrong idea with my earlier posts.  I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't bother with college.  I was simply trying to use my experience as a heads up for others.  Know exactly what your school's policies are so the same shit doesn't happen to you.

Even more:

Expect mass delusion. You can tell them the truth, and they'll take it out on you.

So don't speak the truth.

Instead, subvert the illusion and hint at reality but never speak it, whenever possible.

You're building esoteric knowledge to attract those who will make the next civilization.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

December 11, 2008, 04:09:44 PM
You're building esoteric knowledge to attract those who will make the next civilization.

Owning the future, rather than letting the crowd and its mass brain damage continue to possess it, is the goal.

The more people you let through any conduit to success, the less each will be worth.

When women started working, doubling the work force, salaries effectively declined with the value of currency.

Now that we're handing just about anyone a college degree, having a college degree isn't a big deal anymore -- and so it doesn't translate to salary.

http://www.corrupt.org/news/why_are_college_degrees_less_valuable

Still, with a degree, you'll have documented lifelong credibility, an asset, that something like 19 out of 20 people worldwide will lack.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793