Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Black metal as art

Black metal as art
June 20, 2005, 03:27:55 AM

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/F/friedrich.html

Here is an article about the artist I think the way it describes him his beliefs styles etc basically sum up black metal e.g. his love of the pagan in nature, the darkness in his paintings, the passion involved, the mysteriousness, etc..

Romantic artist named Caspar David Friedrich painted this, I think it very much fits the style of black meta although possibly second two are not really dark enough for black metall, also read this quotation about the artist:

Though snow was first popular in European landscapes with those of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries from the Lowlands, Friedrich saw it in a new light, close to silent death or miraculous rebirth - never as a rococo confectioner's seasonal sugaring.

http://www.blackmetal.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=7374.html

Re: Black metal as art
June 20, 2005, 03:54:41 AM
i have a collection of his stuff shared on the hub. awesome stuff.

Monastery graveyard in the snow
Wanderer above the sea of fog
Abbey in oak forest

are all faves of mine. bah, if i could paste images into these boards i would.
Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.

June 20, 2005, 03:55:55 AM
Conflagrations

June 20, 2005, 03:57:05 AM
Conflagrations

June 20, 2005, 05:19:35 AM

This was always a favorite of mine as well.  Words won't do it justice, so I'll leave it at that.
"...there's too much of an emphasis on [music] as entertainment.  It should be a necessary part of the culture.  It should be part of communication, for education, therapy, for meditation." -B. Perry

June 20, 2005, 05:26:38 AM
The work of  Gustave Doré is also wonderful and highly romantic.  Many of his illustrations are of Romantic works and fairy/folk tales.  He has done some of the best illustrations I have ever seen and I can't praise his work enough; it's absolutly some of my favorite.  In fact his work has been used on the cover of a few black metal albums, most notably Emperor's EP.

"...there's too much of an emphasis on [music] as entertainment.  It should be a necessary part of the culture.  It should be part of communication, for education, therapy, for meditation." -B. Perry

June 20, 2005, 05:34:11 AM
Here's some from his work for The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

June 20, 2005, 05:37:00 AM
This is a great one:

As is this:

And this:

(His use of shading, lighting, and textures is masterful and no less than amazing.  Take a look again at the texture of the water in the first picture if there are any doubts.  Also note how wonderfully done the lighting and shading is thoughout the whole drawing.  Truly breath taking as far as I'm concerned and no vibrancy or detail is lost just because it's a black and white illustration [like most of his work for literature which I have seen])

June 20, 2005, 05:57:45 AM
More can be found here:http://dore.artpassions.net/

The works of Theodor Kittelsen - whose work has been used on many Burzum albums - are also quite excellent and deserve recognition.  Some of his work can be found here: http://www.munchforlaget.no/galleri/galleri_kittelsen.htm  

June 20, 2005, 07:48:44 AM

June 20, 2005, 12:59:19 PM
A PIG JUMPING INTO A LAKE AWESOME!!!!!!

Actually I've always pondered about more surrealist works being used in Death/Black Metal, and stuff from Bosch, Bruegel, and Munch as well. Some of Bosch's and Bruegel's works are just horrific in a sense, and I always thought the passion apparent in Munch's work would compliment Black Metal. Also surrealist art to me goes along with the other worldliness you get sometimes from Black Metal, or extreme/strange Death Metal.

June 20, 2005, 06:03:12 PM
Some of this stuff borders on corny. There's a fine line between grandiose and over-the-top that Romanticism (and by extension, Graveland ;)) tends to piss all over, IMO.

June 21, 2005, 02:56:49 PM
A PIG JUMPING INTO A LAKE AWESOME!!!!!!

Actually I've always pondered about more surrealist works being used in Death/Black Metal, and stuff from Bosch, Bruegel, and Munch as well. Some of Bosch's and Bruegel's works are just horrific in a sense, and I always thought the passion apparent in Munch's work would compliment Black Metal. Also surrealist art to me goes along with the other worldliness you get sometimes from Black Metal, or extreme/strange Death Metal.

Not when it comes to At The Gates. Terminal Spirit Disease posseses the most ugly cover I've ever encountered in metal.

June 22, 2005, 10:56:23 PM
how about this:

from Goya's black paintings.
Conflagrations

June 23, 2005, 11:21:04 PM
Mythic actually used CDF for their Mourning the Winter Solstice release. The first one I posted.
Conflagrations