Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Unique Vocals

Re: Unique Vocals
February 29, 2008, 04:24:34 AM
Silenius, anyone?
And seriously, Ihsahn vocals are ridiculously bad.

February 29, 2008, 12:37:26 PM
Ross Dolan of Immolation, especially on "Close to a World Below."

March 01, 2008, 01:04:14 AM
Silenius, anyone?
And seriously, Ihsahn vocals are ridiculously bad.

I think Ihsahn's vocals were very interesting with his old band, Thou Shalt Suffer. I have yet to hear any death metal vocalists that sound anything like it. If you think about it, noone really sounds like Abbath either. Varg, Tomas Lindbergh, and Abbath on DFM seem to have the same style of painful screams, rather than growling.

Other obvious mentions include Kam Lee, John Tardy, Paul Ledney, King Diamond, etc. It seems there aren't really any more unique/exceptional vocalists in metal these days. Too much bree bree shit.

March 01, 2008, 02:39:15 AM
Ihsahn's vocals were perfect in old Emperor, before he started losing his breath. The theatrical 'clean' singing was great too, but by the time he really started using it the composing got worse.

March 01, 2008, 04:52:00 AM
I think both Abbath and Nocturno Culto had similiar  singing style in the early albums.  

March 01, 2008, 06:40:54 AM
What about Mullen, the vocalist of Suffocation? Not to mention the insane shrieks of Mutiilation's vocalist.

And another question: was Quorthon the first vocalist to employ that characteristic rasping voice of black metal? I can't remember anyone sounding like that before him...

March 01, 2008, 10:24:57 PM
I remember hearing a singer singing black metal style that wasn't metal. But I can't remember who though.

Attila uses central asian throat singing and I suspect so does the guy from demilich. If so, the guy from demilich is a great throat singer. I've never heard someone produce the tones he does. Either way, most death metal vocals are a variant of throat singing done unintentionally. I came upon this realization when I was learning to throat sing myself and noticed the similarities in the two styles. I learned to modify my throat singing to be more breathy and to only amplify the lowest harmonic and the result was a really low growl that resembled that of many familiar death metal vocalists. However, the singer from demilich uses a more pure form of throat singing so it should be distinguished from death growls.
EDIT: Does the singer from demilich really sing into a toilet bowl or was that a joke. I was wondering how huge that guy was to produce those low tones(throat singing depends on resonance in your throat, chest and mouth, hence the bigger you are, the lower the tones.).

I personally don't like Varg's singing in a few of his songs. He overdoes his voice making it seem ridiculous. It just sounds like an annoying whine and almost ruins the songs. However, when he does it right, his singing is amazing and definitely one of the best.

Perhaps a thread on singing should be started. People should post samples of their singing and they can be given pointers. Help can even be given to people wanting to learn.

March 02, 2008, 01:35:00 AM
I found this video where the singer occasionally uses black metal type vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I2vEcVC_I&feature=related
This is not the guy I mentioned before. I found this unintentionally. Although I think you want to know who's the origin of the vocals in black metal, not the first guy in general to sing like this. I suspect this is going to spark some controversy.

chrstphrbnntt

March 02, 2008, 02:02:26 AM
I remember hearing a singer singing black metal style that wasn't metal. But I can't remember who though.

Attila uses central asian throat singing and I suspect so does the guy from demilich. If so, the guy from demilich is a great throat singer. I've never heard someone produce the tones he does. Either way, most death metal vocals are a variant of throat singing done unintentionally. I came upon this realization when I was learning to throat sing myself and noticed the similarities in the two styles. I learned to modify my throat singing to be more breathy and to only amplify the lowest harmonic and the result was a really low growl that resembled that of many familiar death metal vocalists. However, the singer from demilich uses a more pure form of throat singing so it should be distinguished from death growls.
EDIT: Does the singer from demilich really sing into a toilet bowl or was that a joke. I was wondering how huge that guy was to produce those low tones(throat singing depends on resonance in your throat, chest and mouth, hence the bigger you are, the lower the tones.).

Straight from Tsathoggua himself:

"About the vocals. It's not a secret, but 'they' may have to kill you if I tell you. So, here we go: I didn't practice or decide to do it that way, it just happened. I think I didn't understand how growling should have been done, and chose a completely different technique, which seems to be more natural to me, though.

I tilt my head a bit downwards (ie. jaw towards the chest), open up my throat as if I was vomiting, and force the sound out of the stomach, or at least it feels so. Obviously I blow the air from the lungs via the lower throat.

Then again, do what's natural to you. That leads to the best sound you'll get out of your body."