Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Atheist reissues are finally coming!

Wolfbane

The Atheist reissues are finally coming!
June 20, 2005, 06:28:57 PM
Relapse Records has announced the forthcoming reissue of the entire recorded works of seminal technical metal pioneers ATHEIST.

ATHEIST was one of the first truly adventurous bands to break out of the late '80s death metal underground. In addition to ATHEIST's albums (1989's "Piece of Time", 1992's "Unquestionable Presence", and 1993's "Elements") being benchmarks of quality and progression, the band's musical vision directly influenced many noteworthy artists both past (CYNIC, later-era DEATH, PESTILENCE) and present (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, NECROPHAGIST, SPIRAL ARCHITECT).

"I am overwhelmed with joy to see the re-release of the entire ATHEIST catalog after so many years," commented guitarist/vocalist and founding member Kelly Shaefer. Shaefer continues, "I've toured extensively since making these records, and everywhere I go I run into people who were not just into ATHEIST, but who praised the band's uniqueness and how much it forced them to progress as musicians and push the boundaries as players."

"I have been hunting for a label that would treat the catalog with the respect it deserves and whose goal is the same as ours: to turn the new generation of extreme metal and prog metal heads onto ATHEIST. Relapse is that label as it has a true understanding of where ATHEIST helped to rewrite the timeline of metal."

Relapse will start by issuing a limited edition, foil-stamped box set containing LP versions of each of the ATHEIST full-lengths, as well as the R.A.V.A.G.E. (pre-ATHEIST) "On They Slay" 7" EP exclusive to this edition. The LP box will be strictly limited to 1,000 copies and surface in July. The CD re-issues will follow in the late summer/early fall, starting with "Elements" on August 30 (U.S.) and September 5 (Europe).  

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=38313

Great news indeed.

Let's tighten that up a bit..

Relapse Records has announced the forthcoming reissue of the entire recorded works of seminal technical metal pioneers ATHEIST, starting with a limited edition, foil-stamped box set containing LP versions of each of the ATHEIST full-lengths, as well as the R.A.V.A.G.E. (pre-ATHEIST) "On They Slay" 7" EP exclusive to this edition. The LP box will be strictly limited to 1,000 copies and surface in July. The CD re-issues will follow in the late summer/early fall, starting with "Elements" on August 30 (U.S.) and September 5 (Europe).  
   http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article &newsitemID=38313

HOW COULD U LEAVE OUT DILANGER ESCPAE PLAN????//

edit: glad i sold my originals before these were released...

Dillinger Escape Plan is moron music. Their like Pink Frothy AIDS. Composition means nothing to these idiots.

I'm looking forward to this.

euronymous

Thanx for posting this.

:o

Wolfbane

Who are you guys trying to convince that dillinger escape plan is shit?

Anyway this is great news since now you don't have to pay 50 bucks for a used cd. My only question is what took them so long?

euronymous

Who are you guys trying to convince that dillinger escape plan is shit?

Anyway this is great news since now you don't have to pay 50 bucks for a used cd. My only question is what took them so long?

What is dillinger escape plan?

What is dillinger escape plan?

A bad band name?

I don't know.

euronymous

A bad band name?

I don't know.

:)

Re: The Atheist reissues are finally coming!
November 01, 2005, 09:07:18 PM
http://www.progressiveworld.net/atheist.html

first review of the reissues here

as was inevitable:

There will be contention amongst the cognoscenti concerning the worth of the remixes. As a musician and recording enthusiast, I can assure you that there is a difference between the old versions and the new. Huge? No. Audible? Yes. Better? I think so.

Purists will complain but it doesn't sound it will be as major as the megadeth remixes(or greedo shooting first). I'm just glad I'll finally be able to get a hard copy of each

euronymous

November 13, 2005, 03:18:38 PM
http://www.progressiveworld.net/atheist.html

first review of the reissues here

as was inevitable:

Purists will complain but it doesn't sound it will be as major as the megadeth remixes(or greedo shooting first). I'm just glad I'll finally be able to get a hard copy of each

Exactly; I've only bought UP and it sounds great, far better than mp3's. And what to say about the bonus tracks...

euronymous

November 13, 2005, 06:16:21 PM
btw, the same day I bought UP I saw the reissue of Suffocation's Human Waste (with 2 bonus tracks from the Reincremation demo); I didn't know it had been reissued and I picked it also.

January 04, 2006, 01:46:50 PM
Picked it up and bought it, or just picked it up? :D

Any word on the quality of "remaster" for these reissues?

January 04, 2006, 11:59:38 PM
Picked it up and bought it, or just picked it up? :D

Any word on the quality of "remaster" for these reissues?

I wouldn't be able to compare it to the original releases (for obvious reasons), but I believe that they (Relapse? Doing something right for a change?!?)  did a wonderful job remastering the CDs. It complements the years-ahead-of-their-time vision and sound of Atheist...very rich and full...I'm not one to write technically about recording quality, but I know I wish I had been around to see some of the great shows that were going on during those times...

R.I.P. Death Metal (1985-1993)