Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS / CORRUPT meeting in Europe

ANUS / CORRUPT meeting in Europe
March 08, 2008, 04:03:26 PM
Destination: Mount Rosa in the heart of the Swiss Alps. More specifically, we will be hiking to a large glacier at its north western base where Julius Evola's ashes were scattered.

Duration: Thursday April 10th – Sunday April 13, 2008
More details to be posted this coming Monday.

I would appreciate it if people interested in this event contact me: guildofthegrail@gmail.com. Please note: this is not a mountaineering expedition but a beautiful hike:

Re: ANUS / CORRUPT meeting in Europe
March 10, 2008, 05:14:04 PM

Traveling

We will be meeting at a small town near Mt Rosa called “Zermantt” I have found that the cheapest way to reach Mt Rosa is by flying to Zurich (a flight from Berlin to Zurich costs 50 EUR) and then taking the train to Zermatt, which costs about 70EUR with the Swiss train service SBB. A normal train ticket is not that much more expensive though and environmentally friendlier. Ofcourse, it is up to you whether you want to travel over Thursday night or already leave for Zermatt on Wednesday. I personally sugget the latter. In case something happens. I am hoping for us to start the hike Thursday morning.

Hiking Route

We will meet in front of the Zermatt trainstation where the two roads “Bahnhofplatz” and “Getwingstrasse” intersect on Thursday morning (April 10th). Here is a google map page of the location: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=zermatt&sll=51.124213,10.546875&sspn=12.203179,29.882813&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023847,7.749063&spn=0.003293,0.007296&t=h&z=17  We could then visit a café or something for breakfast.  I will present to everyone the route I personally suggest we take to Mt Rosa. There are a number of possible trails to follow all of which leave from the town Zermatt. Which ever route we choose, it will take 2 or 3 days to hike into the mountains to reach Mt Rosa’s glacier where we will leave a tribute to Evola.

General Comments

I suggest looking up “Zermant” on google maps to get a sense of its location in relation to other major city centres.
If you have a cellphone and want to take it with (which might be a good idea; perhaps you will miss a train and don’t want to be left behind), check your provider to see what you need to do to have reception in Swizerland.

Equipment

According to wetter.de the current temperature in Zermatt ist -1*C. Although we will only be hiking in April, the Mt Rosa glacier does lie about 1000m above Zermatt, so a warm jacket as well as comfortable water resistent shoes are key. If it starts snowing you don’t want to get wet feet. I wont pretend that I have a lot of experience hiking in mountains. I don’t. I am also not taking any responsibility in case something goes wrong but the valleys near the mountains we will be walking through are relatively well populated. People hike these trails all the time. Otherwise you will need a sleeping bag and the general hiking outfit. There are huts on the trail which might be free (I am still looking into this) but we should have enough tents to accommodate everyone who attends. Either way, the Alps are amazing and this should be a great oppurtunity to get outside as well as meet some interesting people.

General Information

Good general info on Zermatt:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g188098-Zermatt_Valais_Swiss_Alps-Vacations.html

A list of hostels; “Hotel Bahnhof” looks like the most affordable and conveniently located near the train station.  
http://www.hostelz.com/hostels/Switzerland/Valais/Zermatt

I suggest you google map “Zermatt” to get a sense of where what is. It’s a really small town:
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=zermatt&sll=51.124213,10.546875&sspn=12.203179,29.882813&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023847,7.749063&spn=0.003293,0.007296&t=h&z=17

April 03, 2008, 03:36:11 PM
Oh man! I am not it L'Italia now! This is a shame for me to be in America these days!

April 03, 2008, 03:54:24 PM

The meeting will be postponed till somewhere in August (not many people can make it). I´m not the organizer, I suggest you contact him.

Hope to see you all there  ;)
The tapestry of this planet is my muse. - Paul Speckmann

April 03, 2008, 08:27:11 PM
If you get plane tickets on standby, they are a lot cheaper.

If you get a hostel pass, it's not hard to find places to stay. It's a fun adventure. If anything screws up, stay in train stations. These sometimes even have security workers.

You can eat by going to local grocery stores and buying bread, meat and cheese. It is a good way to learn the language.

Bravery, mein sofamenschen!
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

April 04, 2008, 12:55:54 PM
E VERO! SONO D'ACCORDO! BRAVISSIMO AMICI!