Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Careers

Careers
March 16, 2008, 09:53:48 AM
Although "careers" like "jail" is sort of a dirty word, we all need them because at some point we have to at the very least pay for our large metal collections and internet access (if you can't laugh at yourself...).

Good careers for metalheads include computer programmer, teacher, professor, military, audio engineer, engineer, gigolo, and more but I can't think of them.

There's gotta be a way to carve out a sensible living in this place for more good people, because the idiots seem at home.

Re: Careers
March 16, 2008, 10:11:58 AM
I personally think being a security guard that watches over some building at night is an excellent job. you are basically paid to read. the vast majority of great minds have in some form or another been autodidactic. seen from an intellectual perspective such a vocation is truly the freest i can think of!

March 16, 2008, 10:33:11 AM
 :)

March 16, 2008, 12:58:54 PM
Good careers for metalheads include computer programmer, teacher, professor, military, audio engineer, engineer, GIGOLO, and more but I can't think of them.

i had a good laugh at that.

i am currently pursuing an associates degree in history education. from there i will go onto my bachelors, and then my masters.

chrstphrbnntt

March 16, 2008, 04:11:15 PM
Teaching music is a good one. You can make $3000 a month from teaching guitar out of a music store. $3000 is more than enough to live for a year if you're smart with your money.

I'll either be playing in an orchestra or teaching band.

edit: For anyone interested in teaching music, I highly recommend reading Teaching Music With Passion and Teaching Music With Purpose by Peter Boonshaft. Moving Beyond Tradition by Alan Gumm is a good one, also.

March 17, 2008, 12:37:18 AM
I'm currently studying to become an exercise physiologist/strength coach/dietician, or something within the field of health science depending on where my degree takes me. My people have become fat, lazy, weak and crippled by diseases, and my resolve has become to do whatever I can to reverse it. Education is usually an effective approach, but it's unfortunately something the stupid have developed an immunity to.

VorteIX

March 17, 2008, 02:06:31 AM
Teaching music is a good one. You can make $3000 a month from teaching guitar out of a music store. $3000 is more than enough to live for a year if you're smart with your money.

I'll either be playing in an orchestra or teaching band.

edit: For anyone interested in teaching music, I highly recommend reading Teaching Music With Passion and Teaching Music With Purpose by Peter Boonshaft. Moving Beyond Tradition by Alan Gumm is a good one, also.

The difference between a professional musician/artist and a technical lender, strikes in Passion, Purpose and Tradition.

We need professional artists of music in metal.

March 17, 2008, 07:22:27 AM
i'll do the odd jobs where the world and it's horrors isn't too draining on my energies. something that isn't overtly destructive to the environment and/or directly serving corporate judeo-fatcats.

March 17, 2008, 07:34:38 AM
A security guard seems interesting the way Towardstitan put it. But I'm taking the path of some sort of engineer. I haven't searched myself enough to tell what kind of job I'd want, so I might as well try make enough money to support my interests and future children.

March 18, 2008, 02:06:19 AM
I personally think being a security guard that watches over some building at night is an excellent job. you are basically paid to read. the vast majority of great minds have in some form or another been autodidactic. seen from an intellectual perspective such a vocation is truly the freest i can think of!

im actually a part time security guard. i work days, and spend my downtime (which is pretty much 7 hours out of my 8 hour shift) reading and thinking, as well as doing schoolwork. i couldnt ask for a more cushy job.

March 18, 2008, 09:59:25 AM
Jobs tend to be *cough* morally ambivalent. Compare guarding a neighbourhood to guarding a butt plug manufacturing plant.

Getting the 'right' job isn't as crucial as properly relating it to the rest of your life. After ending a short-term desk job involving accountancy and auditing I was genuinely sick of correcting mistakes and digging through heaps of paper which would've smaller at least by half, had the other employees done their work with some wit. Currently, I'm translating computer manuals of the softcore variety (graphics editors, XML), which is both enjoyable (flexible schedule, no contact with idiots) and instructive (you tend to do some research on the topic).

Seemingly destructive jobs, such as advertising, might be quite useful, once you think about it. Hint: is trolling really that far away?

March 18, 2008, 12:23:09 PM
Trolling, trolling and trolling...
Any media related job would be suitable then, in my opinion. Once you reach a point in which you have the ability to spread your ideas of course.

March 19, 2008, 01:41:38 AM
I'm about to leave school and are having problems choosing a career path. I agree that a job as a computer programmer would be good or a web designer, maybe a job in digital multimedia.
Those jobs are very relaxed and you can express your creativity which is something I enjoy.

March 19, 2008, 02:18:53 AM
I'm about to leave school and are having problems choosing a career path. I agree that a job as a computer programmer would be good or a web designer, maybe a job in digital multimedia.
Those jobs are very relaxed and you can express your creativity which is something I enjoy.

Do you really want to be sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day? It seems very unnatural to be doing anything for that length of time for every day. I'd suggest a more varied job, preferably one that involves both exercise and thought, but jobs of this type are increasingly rare.

March 19, 2008, 08:03:24 PM
The whole point of being good at something is not to have a job but a skill, so that you can pick more of how you spend your days.

Computer programming isn't all cranking code. There's a lot of finding out what you should write, dealing with other people, and if you do it well, you can escape early :)