Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pop music with meaning

VorteIX

Pop music with meaning
March 17, 2008, 03:15:04 AM
Pop structured music, but spite of, with meaning... does exists?

Re: Pop music with meaning
March 17, 2008, 07:14:17 AM
not really. i thought kraftwerk for a second, then piper at the gates of dawn. but neither are spiteful and both are anti-pop in structure.

chrstphrbnntt

March 17, 2008, 04:26:20 PM
Define pop music. Under many definitions, most metal is popular music, as opposed to erudite or traditional music.

March 17, 2008, 11:11:06 PM
Some Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, New Order or Talking Heads perhaps?

chrstphrbnntt

March 17, 2008, 11:23:16 PM
Some Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, New Order or Talking Heads perhaps?

Gary Numan, David Bowie, and Cabaret Voltaire would all fit in there.

March 18, 2008, 01:32:30 AM
Devo

March 18, 2008, 01:45:16 AM
One could argue Pink Floyd has meaning since they speak of insanity and the society around them. Other prog rock bands fall into the genre of pop music but there is a lack significan meaning in their music.

VorteIX

March 18, 2008, 03:32:19 AM
One could argue Pink Floyd has meaning since they speak of insanity and the society around them. Other prog rock bands fall into the genre of pop music but there is a lack significan meaning in their music.

One could argue that Pink Floyd isn't so pop structured, and at the same time, their meaning is only that we need just less oppression and more opportunities.

March 18, 2008, 07:22:34 AM
Pink Floyd are meaningful in the same way that Tool are: They identify a problem which anyone over the age of 15 realises, but don't offer anything deeper or more subtle than that.

March 18, 2008, 01:54:49 PM
How about bands which usually appear under the definition of popular music, but which break so hard the common rules of popular songwriting, that they should consider to be anti-music in that context. Often people define these bands to be avant-garde.

I mean artists like:
Frank Zappa
Captain Beefheart
Faust
Soft Machine
Swans... etc.

I think some "avant-garde rock bands", or how you want to call them, are very distinguished.

chrstphrbnntt

March 18, 2008, 04:23:17 PM
I think putting some sort of barrier between metal and "normal" popular music -- avant-rock and the like -- is a bit ridiculous. What makes Darkthrone so much more special than, say, Magma?

VorteIX

March 18, 2008, 06:01:49 PM
In this forum, someone said, that Jazz was the greatest achievement of popular music.

I think metal is.

chrstphrbnntt

March 18, 2008, 06:30:51 PM
In this forum, someone said, that Jazz was the greatest achievement of popular music.

I think metal is.

Metal is my favorite form of popular music, too, but that doesn't mean it isn't popular music. "Popular music aside from metal with meaning" would be more correct.

VorteIX

March 18, 2008, 08:12:44 PM

Metal is my favorite form of popular music, too, but that doesn't mean it isn't popular music. "Popular music aside from metal with meaning" would be more correct.

Metal is derivated from popular music, but, necessarily pop structured?

I'm interested in structures of pop music used to actually tell something worthy.

Anyhow, is understandable.

March 20, 2008, 12:14:57 AM
I think putting some sort of barrier between metal and "normal" popular music -- avant-rock and the like -- is a bit ridiculous. What makes Darkthrone so much more special than, say, Magma?

I would not be surprise to see ANUS' musical horizons expand, but we'd all have to put our hands to it (look at the slow growth of the classical section for example).