Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ritualistic sound

Ritualistic sound
March 24, 2008, 10:53:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a ritualistic or shamanistic "sound" in black metal?  If so, what bands?
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!

Re: Ritualistic sound
March 24, 2008, 11:36:09 PM
Beherit seems to be the obvious answer. You may also want to check out "Az-I-Dahak" by Black Funeral.

March 25, 2008, 02:02:11 PM
definitely Beherit - 'Drawing down the Moon' is actually a black magic term.

Besides that Burzum's En Ring Til aa Herske is interesting because if the ritualistic chantings and the lyrics.  
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

VorteIX

March 25, 2008, 04:53:49 PM

March 26, 2008, 12:15:30 AM
definitely Beherit - 'Drawing down the Moon' is actually a black magic term.

Besides that Burzum's En Ring Til aa Herske is interesting because if the ritualistic chantings and the lyrics.  

That is the first song that actually came to mind when I read the thread title.

Drawing Down the Moon, as far as an album is concerned, fits the bill well. As does most of Filosofem.

March 26, 2008, 12:33:06 AM
From this site's annals:

Maeror Tri - Meditamentum II
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Endura - Great God Pan
Fripp/Eno - Evening Star
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Burzum - Hvis Lysergic Tar Oss
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

March 26, 2008, 01:01:14 AM
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas, especially with the vocals on the last track.

March 26, 2008, 11:42:40 AM
You may also want to check out "Az-I-Dahak" by Black Funeral.

Black Funeral is one of the best black metal bands from the USA at this point. that release is superb.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 27, 2008, 02:50:58 AM
Most black metal I listen to seem to have this ritualistic vibe though I wouldn't consider them particularly Shamanistic by modern association of the term (Native American religion). The Polish pagan acts (Graveland, Infernum, Veles, Fullmoon) seem best at creating this sense of an ancient religion. Lord Wind's Forgotten Songs stands out in particular as well as Graveland's underrated Immortal Pride.

March 27, 2008, 06:21:27 PM
Most black metal I listen to seem to have this ritualistic vibe though I wouldn't consider them particularly Shamanistic by modern association of the term (Native American religion).

Actually:

Etymology:
ultimately from Evenki (Tungusic language of Siberia) šamān
Date:

From the ancestors of "native Americans" (term is broken, try "American Indian" instead).
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

March 28, 2008, 03:14:52 AM
Arkhanum... the album "Kampen" perhaps. At some places. Although in my opinion it fails since after a while the songs seems to go nowhere.
The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit.

March 29, 2008, 10:21:32 AM
Dark Tribe still stands out for me.

March 29, 2008, 10:52:20 AM
Later Inquisition does this the best. If you haven't already listened to them, really look into "Into the Infernal Regions of Ancient Cult" and "Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan." Those two albums emanate such an atmosphere you feel you are with them during their occult rituals. As has been said, Beherit would also fit this description well.

chrstphrbnntt

March 29, 2008, 02:20:27 PM
Later Inquisition does this the best. If you haven't already listened to them, really look into "Into the Infernal Regions of Ancient Cult" and "Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan." Those two albums emanate such an atmosphere you feel you with them during their occult rituals. As has been said, Beherit would also fit this description well.

Does anyone know what film(s) the spoken word samples on Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult are from? It wouldn't be the same album without them.

March 30, 2008, 07:35:35 PM
Is there such a thing as a ritualistic or shamanistic "sound" in black metal?  If so, what bands?

Can you please define what you do mean by Ritualistic or Shamanistic ?  Every ppl in here  are naming plenty of bands with mostly no similarities between them.
First when I read it Im thinking to beherit for the serious "barbaric-near-tribal-incantation" like sounding ,but I may be wrong .