Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Immolation

Immolation
June 23, 2005, 06:59:04 PM
The last of the old school... and continuing. If they have a fault, perhaps, it's trying too hard to be current and not enough of the guitary/compositional mystery magic seen on the second album. Yet still strong: one of the few death metal bands left that delivers an impressive presence alongside music for the brain.

Excellent fansite with complete information:
http://www.everlastingfire.com/

"Whatís kept Immolation going all these years?We love what we do, plain and simple. It hasnít been the easiest road to travel down and for almost 18 years... sometimes I think we certainly must be nuts, but then there is nothing else I would rather be doing. That includes every aspect of what we do, from writing, to recording, to rehearsing, to touring and traveling and meeting people all over the world. I stop and think about how fortunate we are to still be doing this and to still really enjoy it and thatís all that matters in the end."

http://www.modernfix.com/features/47/immolation.htm

Re: Immolation
June 24, 2005, 01:05:56 AM
This band has been slowly backsliding since "Close to a World Below". I don't hold out much hope for this band in the future.

June 24, 2005, 09:08:52 AM
I consider that Dawn Of Possession is their best album. The later material by Immolation, while being technically proficient lacks something that was on their first album. And with each new album, due to abuse of technicality, they sound less an less Death Metal.

TC

June 24, 2005, 11:28:04 AM
excellent concert review.  had me laughing as always.

i really like immolation, always have.  there were a couple albums that i really didn't pay attention to, but their newer album has some great stuff on it.  they are without question one of the only bands left doing anything original in death metal, in fact one of the only real death metal bands left imo.  

that being said, the video for the title track shows their drummer wearing a baseball cap backwards throughout, and that was really fucking annoying.  wtf is that about?

i've got video files of them from a mini-tour of FL we did back when craig was still the drummer, from the first album.  i will always remember how fucking good they were live.  last time i saw them was probably 1997, wish they'd come back this way, but as usual the midwest is bereft of any decent shows...

June 24, 2005, 01:36:21 PM
best work: dawn of possession, failures for gods, close to a world below.

*sigh*

June 25, 2005, 06:36:24 AM
I always found Here In After and on to have a polished sound absent on Dawn Of Possession, for that I wouldn't say their debut is their "best" since mainly they've just been rehashing an original idea with different sounds, which is now finally wearing out in my opinion.

June 26, 2005, 04:17:50 PM
This band has been slowly backsliding since "Close to a World Below". I don't hold out much hope for this band in the future.

Agreed, Here in after and Failures for gods were their peak albums.

August 28, 2005, 06:19:47 AM
I wouldn't write these guys off yet. They're still better than all but a handful of metal bands.

August 29, 2005, 09:06:50 AM
I always found Here In After and on to have a polished sound absent on Dawn Of Possession, for that I wouldn't say their debut is their "best" since mainly they've just been rehashing an original idea with different sounds, which is now finally wearing out in my opinion.

I cited them for their variety over Immolation's career. Dawn of Possession is great for it's proximity to Incantation style dirty-ness

August 29, 2005, 11:49:14 PM
Dawn of Possession is a shredding album, but if you listen to their demos, they used to sound like an American version of Pestilence or Kreator, so even Dawn is a big jump for them. This band keeps evolving, they're great, people who write them off already are making a mistake.

August 31, 2005, 05:20:42 PM
Dawn of Possession is a shredding album, but if you listen to their demos, they used to sound like an American version of Pestilence or Kreator, so even Dawn is a big jump for them. This band keeps evolving, they're great, people who write them off already are making a mistake.

Agreed. One of the greats who don't  substitute speed and agression for originality.

September 02, 2005, 05:09:48 PM
These guys consistently destroy live. I saw them recently in support of the new album and the new crop of material actually caused more damage onstage than on disc. Great band, smart people, worth supporting.

March 18, 2007, 06:20:28 PM
They're going to release a new one soon. Never sold out yet. I've got to hear it.

March 19, 2007, 01:40:04 AM
The first album i ever bought was Failures for Gods.  It actually took me an entire year to really ingest that album, just like all of the other great albums (for me, at least).  

I'd say that Immolation taught me how to really "listen" to music.  It wasn't about tasteless, abrupt hooks or flashy production.  The music really takes you somewhere.  

Listening to Immolation is a lot like listening to Gorgoroth for me.  The riffs always reminded me of different states of mind occurring in a unique order to declare the meaning of each piece.  I love that album.  

It goes without question that their early albums where incredible.  I also enjoyed Unholy Cult, which is an album i don't hear too many people mention these days.  No surprise, really.