Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Averse Sefira

Averse Sefira
March 26, 2008, 12:25:25 AM
Their new one, Advent Parallax, pretty much rocks from a technical standpoint. It seems to me parallel to Battle's Clarion.

Their previous one, Tetragrammatical Astygmata, reminds me of Altars of Madness without the offtime work.

Before that, Homecoming's March has to be the lost Graveland album as made by British art-rockers.

And then there's the demo, which is my favorite. Why? It is the shortest path between artist and vision. It has zero pretense, and lots of artistry. It captures the high drama of early Emperor with the me-too-ego of later Emperor.

I probably should actually buy these at some point instead of relying on these battered, scratched, partially melted MP3s.

Re: Averse Sefira
March 26, 2008, 11:51:20 AM
i really like the artwork for "Battle's Clarion". blasphemous, yet still beautiful in some respects.

the only time ive ever even seen a CD of theirs is when i picked up aforementioned "Battle's Clarion" at a Suffocation show. but i suppose one would have to search online for them.

March 26, 2008, 12:09:36 PM
I just e-mailed them the other day and they still have Tetragrammatical Astygmata CDs for sale - $10 plus $3 shipping for U.S., $5 worldwide.  Go to their myspace for their address.

March 26, 2008, 01:56:45 PM
Evil Music still has "Battle's Clarion" for $10 and "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" for $8 with free shipping to US customers.

EDIT: Looks like the latter of the two is out of stock, actually.

March 27, 2008, 08:51:26 PM
you can also get them from standard places like amazon, but it's more expensive.  for those not fascinated with hard copies, amazon and itunes (and presumably others) have mp3 album downloads that are entirely listenable--that's how i got Advent Parallax.

speaking of that album, it struck me that while the songs taken individually were not quite as impressive/standoutish as those on Tetragrammatical Astygmata (Sonance Innumberate, anyone?), the album works together as a whole better than anything they've ever done before.  there is a synergy to it that makes it far more than the sum of its parts.

Late

April 04, 2008, 04:16:11 PM
Hierophant Disgorging is a fave of mine, I don't have the rest of the albums because I'm a late bloomer and not that keen on warez and the little materialist in me rejoices at the pleasing presentation of "Tetragrammatical.."  <- vinyl nerd

June 15, 2008, 12:34:48 AM
Music writing seems to be tied inextricably to Newton, in that if something goes up, it must come down (or vice versa.) There is also a high instance of "riff A goes three times and on the fourth time put in riff B." The only beings that have come near to writing music interwoven with Quantum Physics are Acerbus. I am amazed that people are even able to write music at all, and I have no idea how they do it. I operate with modular components that I call "sets." A set is usually two or more riffs that compliment each other in somewhat of a logical fashion, there is a great deal of the process based on that great unquantifable: "feeling." Being modular, these components can be dropped in anywhere in a song and form the basic themes for the composition. They can repeat any number of times with variation imposed as required, say when the song is approaching summation, set A returns, but is played backwards, lower, whathaveyou.

I also think of the songs relative to the shapes that the themes form around. Things like StiGr.39s or the distorted bones of a skinned xtain, celestials on fire, these images are evocative in translation to musical form. One thing I am experimenting with is structuring sets akin to DNA constructions: riff sets on the guitar forming one helical half combining with riff sets on the bass forming the other helical half and the drums acting as sugars linking it all together. Perhaps the construction of an automaton or golem is also an appropriate metaphor: part is bone, part is muscle, part is flesh and part is the electricity powering it. Something that the occult bands often aspire to, or should, is to try and capture in music the essence of what they are summoning/conjuring/opening, not just play Rock and say that it is the embodiment of ritual. Although again, that would explain the obsession with twos and fours... Black Metal is after all, Black Magic but music.

Averse Sefira interview

This band does credit to all metalheads with such articulate answers.

June 29, 2008, 09:31:40 PM
The Averse Sefira interview is a great read; their intelligence really shines through.  I own Tetragrammatical Astygmata only, so I need to listen to their other albums.

Is it known if the band members frequented ANUS prior to the interview, or is their outlook on life the natural end-result of a high intellect?  Their views are remarkably similar to those held by many at this site.

July 02, 2008, 05:24:20 AM
I feel that the new direction is rather questionable to myself but one thing really stood out to me was the communication of vocals to myself,no loss for unknown\clandestine cosmic knowledge but now it takes longer to understand.  Advent Parallax deserves replay for you to understand. Does anyone feel that the vocals are supposed to over lap the riffs while it waits for more communication or is it the other way around?

July 03, 2008, 02:45:58 PM
Their views are remarkably similar to those held by many at this site.
[/quote

Metal --> Romanticism --> transcendental idealism, which is both modernism and a vision of the supernatural as immanent properties of matter and form.

We're all going to arrive at the same place if we keep thinking. When you get there --

GOOD: You're in the company of Blake, Eckhart, Siddhartha Guatama, Beethoven, etc.
BAD: You're also in the company of Hitler, Plato, Aristotle and other "fascists."

It's an enlightened form of realism, and metal has led many to it -- past the wall of delusion that is modern consensual, crowd-based reality.

July 09, 2008, 03:46:49 AM
I've heard people troll the new release because it sounds like DSO now but the comments were pretty vague.

July 09, 2008, 06:24:28 AM
The more I listen to this band, the more I realise tha they are worthy of praise.  The new album, whilst it has its flat moments, ultimately triumphs as a coherent organisation of ideas structured around a metaphysical concept.  In this sense, the comparison to DSO isn't  entirely unfair, what has really happened is that Averse Sefira, with the new album, have succeeded in doing what Deathspell Omega have never managed.  It seems that Averse Sefira have done a better job of matching their ambition with what they are capable of achieving at the time, whereas DSO, with their last 2 albums have been over ambitious and so have been lacking in consistency and coherence.  That said, the actual goals of the two bands are similar, but with the new album Averse Sefira have proved that they are more capable of realising those goals than their French counterparts.

July 10, 2008, 11:06:26 PM
Every once and awhile some beauty shines through in the music, but I still think they are largely overrated.

July 12, 2008, 11:05:36 AM
Every once and awhile some beauty shines through in the music, but I still think they are largely overrated.

The beauty in their works seems to me fairly evident, perhaps not so much in their individual riffs as in the structures that are built from them.  Most bands do not possess the ability to 'design' songs in the way that Averse Sefira can whilst still retaining an artistic inspiration as their central motivation.  It may be that you are not recognising that central light in their works because of their tendancy to focus on these very outward aspects of composition, perhaps you would enjoy their demo, as it is 'the shortest path between artist and vision' to quote the OP.  Averse Sefira may be the opposite of a band the very primitive bands like early Mayhem, Hellhammer, and such, in the sense that those bands seemed to have an artistic motivation and not much else.  It seems to me that Averse Sefira's consistency lies in the fact that they are able to manage all levels of composition, and therefore they can put their central inspiration to greater use, producing multiple works of value, unlike earlier bands who tended to be burnt out after 1 or 2 albums.