Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pig Destroyer

Re: Pig Destroyer
March 28, 2008, 10:23:11 PM

Nothing like what you've done here, right?

Listen to, read, watch, do whatever you want, but don't expect sympathy because you feel insulted by some impersonal comments.

I don't listen to tool, and I am not personally insulted by the comment, I'm just pointing out that cheap shots aren't getting this forum anywhere, and it seems like there are certain posters more concerned with looking cool than contributing.  If there is anything more hipsterish than that, I am unaware of its existence.

I come for discussion, and I contribute to the Wiki on occasion.  It's not like I have a vendetta against ANUS.  I like what you guys are doing for the most part, I just feel like some people are making it hard for you guys to be taken seriously.

March 29, 2008, 12:46:45 PM
Yet the complaints against the "supposed" "elitists" is nothing more than a veiled attempt to put yourself above them. You're engaging in the same friggin' behaviour, and you're making it public, which doesn't aid the problem you're apparently trying to aid - it only adds to it.

Now let's all of us quit fagging up this thread, that's already HIV++++++, and move on to other more important matters.

March 29, 2008, 01:48:34 PM
the ignorance on this board is overwhelming some times.  we get it, you think you are less of a plague than us other feeble humans, and your shit doesnt stink.

The point of this board is growth, which requires ignorance as a starting state.

Some people are going to get it wrong and always will. Help them along, otherwise, you're doing what you accuse them of (as others have hinted).

I'd like us not to bicker over this or at least to have a thread about it. I'd also encourage anyone who wants change here to get off the fucking sofa and work with us.

March 29, 2008, 02:41:43 PM
Another thread derailing...

Concerning the first post. There's a lot of bands that attract hipsters... The band should in any case not be blamed for this.
Hell, I've seen hipsters talking about Burzum as well. Does that means Burzum is for morons?

I personally don't know this band. But as someone else already stated it: There's a lot of passion going on there, which is what really matters, no?

March 29, 2008, 04:11:04 PM
A lot of christians are very passionate....

March 29, 2008, 04:21:45 PM
A lot of Christians disagree with modern society as well... your point was?

March 29, 2008, 05:11:46 PM
There's a lot of passion going on there, which is what really matters, no?

March 29, 2008, 05:25:06 PM
Do not mistake passion for obsession

March 29, 2008, 09:07:59 PM
There's a lot of passion going on there, which is what really matters, no?

words to take to heart.

March 30, 2008, 01:15:48 AM

words to take to heart.

One can be passionate about anything.

March 30, 2008, 01:25:46 AM
I'm passionate about crack.

I'd like us not to bicker over this or at least to have a thread about it.

Making a thread for people to argue this shit out seems like a better idea than destroying threads.

July 26, 2010, 10:24:17 PM
The ultimate hipster bands are all "ironic" grindcore. Social conscience with a side of self-importance, yo.

Pig Destroyer has always seemed to me to be of this ilk, from the fanbase, but I've never heard them. There's a correlation between my lack of will to hear them and the PD fans I've met.

When will grindcore renovate itself? It's dead now, at least to its original ideals, and any sense of musical quality.

they do appeal to a hipster crowd, and i for one think it is a shame that their early material is almost completely ignored in favor of their last 2 albums. most of their "fans" don't realize that PD has been around for over 10 years, and simply think they are br00tal based on their recent releases.

i dont know how much of a grindcore fan you are, but give "Explosions in Ward 6" or "Prowler in the Yard" a try. theyre not the best grindcore band around, but i think those works have some merit.

"Prowler in the Yard" is a disk I find myself returning to every now and then. There's so many good ideas that went into that record, and I think it's appeal is that there's excellent, competent, coherent riffing played to drums that are either punishingly fast or very bouncy in the hardcore-bombast style of Napalm Death and narrated by a barking madman. Something like a band that Ron Atkins' anti-hero whore-mangler Harry Russo would find himself at home in.

It has a lot of similarities to metalcore though, and many of those good ideas that masquerade the said 'core are so plentiful but microscopic and thus they are forgettable. They manifest and then go away too quickly: GRINDCORE. Unfortunately, this damns Pig Destroyer to be welcomed by two types of people: Grindcore fans and Hipsters. Grindcore fans because it's good grind, and hipsters because they mistake artistry for irony.

If they had more focus and less madness I'd probably consider that album alone to be among the more memorable CD's I own; unfortunately I think the "madness" of their music is part of the wider appeal. It's kind of like an exercise in being "almost there."