Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Hall author spotting

Re: Metal Hall author spotting
March 29, 2008, 12:46:53 AM
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2002/03/50820#

with a picture

haha.  That was an awesome read.  I laughed a couple of times.

"But Bunnell noted that if pot has been smoked at Apple, it could account for the machine's relatively sluggish performance.

"Maybe that's why Macs have been slower all these years," he said."

March 29, 2008, 01:52:19 PM
The one really cool thing about Macs is that they believe in making technology into a tool that normal people can use. The problem is that they get caught up in their identity as "progressive," and so they miss out on some things they need to do.

I also like the way Steve Jobs is a total fucking fascist. I don't like the rock star aspects of his persona. It seems every Buddhist from California I know can be summarized as "I have transcended the ego, don't you wish you were as cool as me?" (Yes, we're trying to avoid that here!)

For that reason, I'd like to ask that commentary on specific ANUS/CORRUPT authors be redirected toward their work and not whoever they are, which is probably far less interesting.

March 31, 2008, 07:26:48 PM
It seems every Buddhist from California I know can be summarized as "I have transcended the ego, don't you wish you were as cool as me?" (Yes, we're trying to avoid that here!)

I don't really thing ego is necessary, but you could say just about any important fascist mindset could have transcended ego, and is just hyper productive.  You could do things like that for ego, or your could do them because they're efficient.  I don't really associate the two.

April 02, 2008, 03:30:40 AM
The one really cool thing about Macs is that they believe in making technology into a tool that normal people can use. The problem is that they get caught up in their identity as "progressive," and so they miss out on some things they need to do.

One thing that they should look into is making their products last longer than a year or two.

Unfortunately, that's not so profitable, and planned obsolescence is usually to the detriment of the environment, and the consumer who is looking for a reliable, sturdy tool. Their target buyer is only concerned about Radiohead, the environment on a superficial level, and isn't concerned about reliability over the sake of image.

A new iPod gets released every year so the kids will have a new gadget to discover under the tree at Christmastime. What happens to last year's model? It goes to the landfill, and all of that toxic shit goes into the groundwater.

Anyway, I enjoyed the bong article, I recall that same one mentioned in The Undiscovered Country. At least it reuses their old junk.

April 02, 2008, 12:50:27 PM

One thing that they should look into is making their products last longer than a year or two.

Unfortunately, that's not so profitable, and planned obsolescence is usually to the detriment of the environment, and the consumer who is looking for a reliable, sturdy tool. Their target buyer is only concerned about Radiohead, the environment on a superficial level, and isn't concerned about reliability over the sake of image.

A new iPod gets released every year so the kids will have a new gadget to discover under the tree at Christmastime. What happens to last year's model? It goes to the landfill, and all of that toxic shit goes into the groundwater.

Anyway, I enjoyed the bong article, I recall that same one mentioned in The Undiscovered Country. At least it reuses their old junk.

It might seem strange to defend Apple products here, but of all my computer experience, the Apple products I had were the ones that lasted longer. For example, I had my iPod, which I do not over-use, since 2005 and never had any kind of problems. Nevertheless, it is true that Apple do not emphasize longevity by releasing new iPods and laptops every year.

April 03, 2008, 02:29:54 PM
I had my iPod, which I do not over-use, since 2005 and never had any kind of problems. Nevertheless, it is true that Apple do not emphasize longevity by releasing new iPods and laptops every year.

True, I've heard of people who have had their iPods for upward to two years. Apple does have good ideas, but much like Chinese pseudo-communism, they stole them from someone else, and there is a lot more that you lose than you gain in the long run.

http://thetyee.ca/Books/2006/08/01/MadeToBreak/

It's mentioned in this article that the iPod is designed to be a throwaway product.

A relative purchased me an iPod nano a month ago as a joke, and I accepted it without complaint, so I took the opportunity to check out Apple's quality product, seeing how my Creative Zen of 3 years let some hard drive failure put it out of work. (It had a BIOS and a diagnostic recovery mode apparently; reminiscent of a tiny computer ^.^)

So far: The screen is crooked, the album art gets corrupted into some green glitchy crap after I upload it, duplicate album entries (Two Karelian Isthmuses), sometimes the album art gets set to all one image (Every band gets the Filosofem cover), the iPod sets off store alarms when I take it with me, and the iPod likes to reset itself even when I'm sitting completely still. It also crashes when I scroll through cover flow mode. The 3rd party software works better than iTunes. iTunes requires you to have a membership in order for it to update album art automatically, and to sign up for membership, you need a credit card number, and I don't use that shit. I have also had to reformat the iPod twice for whatever reason.

It does play music and store data, but it seems that it's too much of a hassle and it's not worth the money.