Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Punk that rules

Punk that rules
April 03, 2008, 10:54:52 PM
There's some punk music out there that rules. But I've found that, as in metal, there are a few bands who define the genre, and then a horde of hipsters and shitheads come in and adulterate it.

POP PUNK
Descendants
Agent Orange
Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols

PUNK HARDCORE
Discharge
Amebix
Minor Threat

GRINDCORE
Repulsion
Terrorizer

THRASH
D.R.I.
dead horse
Cryptic Slaughter

The stuff that came after just combines these styles, but also has nothing important to say, like it's repeating ideas not just in form but in content.

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Punk that rules
April 03, 2008, 11:22:05 PM
The stuff that came after just combines these styles, but also has nothing important to say, like it's repeating ideas not just in form but in content.

I don't like this attitude. Just because a band came later doesn't mean their music is passionless and insincere, or inferior for whatever other reasons. If you don't like No Comment, Siege, Infest, Crossed Out, et al, that's fine... I don't like The Sex Pistols and think Terrorizer gets boring after 2 songs -- but stating your opinion as fact is irritating. That sort of stuff lends to the general antipathy most metalheads have towards ANUS.

April 03, 2008, 11:30:01 PM

I don't like this attitude. Just because a band came later doesn't mean their music is passionless and insincere, or inferior for whatever other reasons. If you don't like No Comment, Siege, Infest, Crossed Out, et al, that's fine... I don't like The Sex Pistols and think Terrorizer gets boring after 2 songs -- but stating your opinion as fact is irritating. That sort of stuff lends to the general antipathy most metalheads have towards ANUS.

It came after because by definition it was temporally later, but that doesn't mean necessarily that the general observation about form over content is false.

Let's please not kill discussions wholesale with the tossing around of "opinions."

April 03, 2008, 11:38:35 PM
Most punks will generally agree that the pistols were a fraud.

Don't forget about the Oi, man.

Gotta be picky with the punk nowadays. Just like black metal.

April 04, 2008, 12:39:57 AM
http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/crisis.htm

Late 70's punk, members later started the neo-folk genre (DIJ, sol invictus)

April 04, 2008, 01:29:04 AM
Just because a band came later doesn't mean their music is passionless and insincere, or inferior for whatever other reasons.

You fail at reading comprehension.

There was no causal relationship of that nature implied!

April 04, 2008, 08:59:24 AM
Black Flag are worthy of appreciation.

Are there any quality punk(or derivative) bands around today, or are we unanimously agreed that this genre has been deceased for at least a decade or two?

April 04, 2008, 03:45:33 PM
I agree about Black Flag. I think their frontman has a great personality. Back to topic, would more experimental bands like Minutemen and Wire fit under your definition of punk, onan? And how about present-day Darkthrone?

chrstphrbnntt

April 04, 2008, 04:01:14 PM
Black Flag are worthy of appreciation.

Are there any quality punk(or derivative) bands around today, or are we unanimously agreed that this genre has been deceased for at least a decade or two?

9 times out of 10 I'd rather listen to D.R.I., but Municipal Waste is a good crossover band. Worth seeing live -- they're touring with At the Gates soon.

April 04, 2008, 08:06:10 PM
i hate the Sex Pistols. nothing but a fabricated boy band put together by a fashion designer.

the Exploited and GBH did what they did, but faster, meaner, and with much better quality songwriting.

im partial to a lot of punk, though i must admit that the genre has become a complete parody of itself.

Municipal Waste is a load of fun live.

April 05, 2008, 05:51:18 AM
What about the new punk/trash bands as bludwulf and toxic holocaust ? Their lyrics might be too fictional but they still got that old and raw demo sound.

April 05, 2008, 07:02:03 AM
What about the new punk/trash bands as bludwulf and toxic holocaust ? Their lyrics might be too fictional but they still got that old and raw demo sound.

I haven't listened to them, but punk is dead. Punk remains dead. And we have killed it. It died with the onslaught of that gay 80's hair and glam metal; whatever was left of punk gave its last dying breath to thrash metal. (Thrash metal died too, and passed its energies to death metal.)

The bands you mention are probably what I like to call "recreational" bands. They came way after punk and thrash died, so they're milking a dead cow. Like Toxic Narcotic (the only one I've listened to).

I would recommend that you stay away from these, because they aren't as great as their progenitors.

Listen to this man:

Any band can emulate a sound, even the low-fi production style. But few bands are intelligent enough to convey brilliant ideas with a particular sound.

April 05, 2008, 09:27:17 AM
i think he meant Toxic Holocaust. Toxic Narcotic is a totally different band.

while Toxic Holocaust do have that "old raw demo sound", their songwriting leaves a lot to be desired. nothing about them is bad, but after the first song ends i wonder if i am still listening to the same song when the next track starts. it fails to keep your attention.

i will agree that punk is dead, but there are still a few "zombie bands" which are of interest.

April 05, 2008, 11:50:45 AM
I`m surprised that no one has yet mentioned His Hero is Gone and Tragedy, they sound like a well made Amebix update.

April 05, 2008, 02:29:18 PM
His Hero is Gone combines overt melody and crust punk. two things that really should not be together, in my view. theyre pretty boring.

time would be better spent listening to Doom or Extreme Noise Terror, if one wishes for a crust punk fix.