Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Allow me to introduce myself

Allow me to introduce myself
June 09, 2008, 07:14:47 PM
I am MorbidInvasion. But please read this post before you decide whether or not I can stay here.

I signed up as MorbidInvasion with the sole intention of 'trolling' this forum, but while doing so, I found that this place:

a) is not 'as bad' as what I thought originally
b) there is a good amount of metal knowledge here and good metal discussion

And now, instead of trolling, I want to participate in the discussion. I am not a nihilist, and I don't align myself with the hessian movement, but I'm going to respect those who are/do. What I want to do is discuss music, without trying to sound arrogant, I reckon I have a pretty extensive knowledge of extreme metal and could bring alot to the table.

So, in short:

Apologies to all for my 'invasion' of this forum, and I want now to discuss music without, as Satan is my Stewardess put it, 'being a dick'. If that's alright with you, Mr. Administrator, whoever you are :D

Re: Allow me to introduce myself
June 09, 2008, 07:44:39 PM
Cool, thanks for coming back. I think you contribute a lot to this community.

Now to find those threads and reply ;)

June 09, 2008, 08:01:20 PM
I was no nihilists before either, but beware, thanks to Vijay and his suggested Nietzsche readings, I became one!  ;)

(kidding)

June 09, 2008, 08:04:39 PM
I can't say I've 'classified' my outlook on life or even given thought to doing so. Generally, I act as I see fit in reaction to situations that arise, or proactively as I want to. According to a friend, that was 'theorised and discussed' by Hobbes, so I must be a hobbit (where's the laugh emoticon).

Anyway I'm only a teenager so I would think that my outlook on life will change drastically in even the next 5 years. I'm interested to read up on these philosophers even if I probably won't agree with them. I know my mother has a few Nietzsche books among others.

June 09, 2008, 11:49:23 PM
...I, am Count Dracula.

all joking aside, welcome to the forums. now for the traditional hazing and demands of alcohol from other members.

June 10, 2008, 02:03:10 AM
I've also taken it upon myself to register as well.

I will admit that I have a very limited knowledge of Nihilism, as the only Nihilist work I've read is Thus Spoke Zarathustra. But I'm looking forward to learning more of the philosophy.

June 10, 2008, 03:51:15 AM
"Thus Spake Zarathustra" isn't nihilism and neither is this site. Nihilism =/= Existentialism

June 10, 2008, 04:34:43 AM
"Thus Spake Zarathustra" isn't nihilism and neither is this site. Nihilism =/= Existentialism

Existentialism = Nietzschean nihilism + postwar French despair and Gallic gallows humor.  So it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.

June 10, 2008, 05:00:12 AM

Pardon my ignorance on the subject matter then.

This may be a bit general, but could anyone give me some recommendations of  literary works that align with the views of this site?

June 10, 2008, 09:14:43 AM
While we're on the topic of Existentialism, what do you guys think about the book, The Outsider (The Stranger in some countries) by Albert Camus. We had to study it this year in English and I found it refreshing compared to the garbage they normally force us to read.

June 10, 2008, 09:40:49 AM
While we're on the topic of Existentialism, what do you guys think about the book, The Outsider (The Stranger in some countries) by Albert Camus. We had to study it this year in English and I found it refreshing compared to the garbage they normally force us to read.

I love it. Camus's 2nd best work.

June 10, 2008, 09:47:19 AM
Pardon my ignorance on the subject matter then.

This may be a bit general, but could anyone give me some recommendations of  literary works that align with the views of this site?

That is fine, many impressionable teenagers come onto this site with the belief that they are now a "nihilist" (I was one of them), when really, they are something more like an existentialist/nationalist (never have to define yourself in labels though).

I read the Plague by Camus and was thoroughly disappointed, well, actually, I read the first half of it and was so bored by the ordinariness of the story that I ended up returning it.

Personally, I'd start with anything by Dostoevsky, his works are genius, Notes From Underground, The Idiot or Brothers Karamazov are all good starters (Crime and Punishment only becomes interesting during the second half of the novel). Nietzsche is an obvious choice too.

Frankenstein is often recommended here, but not that good of a book in my opinion, too gothicy and melodramatic, the only thing I found interesting were the few pages of monologue from the fiend. The whole "technology getting out of control" thing is done to death now and can't redeem an otherwise silly novel.

June 10, 2008, 09:53:33 AM

Existentialism = Nietzschean nihilism + postwar French despair and Gallic gallows humor.  So it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.

"Existentialism" is not a French movement, it's only now that it's a popular word thanks to Sartre, who is something of a Britney Spears of philosophy. Kiergaard, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky (Notes From Underground particularly) and Heidegger dealt with existential issues before Camus/Sartre.

How is Nietzsche a nihilist? Nietzsche wanted a transvaluation of values, not an end to all values. Zarathustra is the antithesis to nihilism.

June 10, 2008, 10:36:25 AM
I read the Plague by Camus and was thoroughly disappointed, well, actually, I read the first half of it and was so bored by the ordinariness of the story that I ended up returning it.  

Yeah, I can agree with that in the context of The Outsider. The story was quite ordinary, but I enjoyed it because I found it had a lot to communicate with the reader. I think that's just Camus's writing style. Taking an accesible style of writing, presenting an alternative viewpoint and arguing it.

However, i'm not sure whether the accesible style is actually a good thing when seen in relevance to Metal.

July 10, 2008, 11:51:33 AM
As a newcomer, it is advised that you please observe the way things are done around here for a few weeks before posting, then things will be less problematic.

However, you've already gone way ahead of yourself, this is usually how posts are deleted and how bans are issued.

Here is a bit of old wisdom: Lurk and read.

Do not post right away without skimming the topic, and especially without deciding whether you have anything thoughtful to offer.

Otherwise, enjoy the forum!