Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Doom metal and such

VorteIX

Doom metal and such
April 06, 2008, 09:12:56 PM
I know doom metal  isn't generally looked around here, but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is worth listening to? which would be good recommendations?

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Doom metal and such
April 06, 2008, 10:19:02 PM
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday

As good as my favorite black metal albums. Crushing, and uncompromisingly sincere.

April 06, 2008, 10:24:06 PM
Early Candlemass and Skepticism are worth a listen. Skepticism, especially, manages to create profound and solemn atmospheres that reminds me of sylvan landscapes. Very well done, and surprisingly enough, it does not sound negative at all. It's like an ode to the silent forces of nature.

Those two (and a few others like Tergothon) have nothing to do with the depressive kind of doom metal la Nortt which is indeed boring. They do require a long attention span, however, but that shouldn't be a problem for most people around here.

shadowmystic

April 06, 2008, 11:21:28 PM
Ras Algethi

Much like the early works of black metal, this album defines itself by inducing a dreamlike state through repetition and gentle variation within patterns, much like erosion of undiscovered mountains and forgotten beaches. Stylistically, it is perhaps the finest expression of doom metal yet experienced, creating an atmosphere unrivaled in its acuity and consistency. It was overlooked by most because it uses clean vocals and actual singing in a style reminiscent of eccelsiastical chorales, and because it requires an attention span exceeding that of most popular music listeners.

etc...

April 07, 2008, 02:09:49 AM
Confessor
Saint Vitus
Trouble
(early) Anathema
(early) Paradise Lost
My Dying Bride
Electric Wizard
Sleep
Black Sabbath (you never get enough of this one)
and
Burzum's Filosofem?

April 07, 2008, 02:54:27 AM
i love Cathedral. Black Sabbath is of course mandatory. there are also those who combine doom with other genres, like Obituary or Winter.

the Melvins are an odd group that can churn out some crushing riffs.

Kyuss are also worth a mention, practically Sabbath worship.

April 07, 2008, 03:12:30 AM
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday

As good as my favorite black metal albums. Crushing, and uncompromisingly sincere.

This remains one of the most truly apocalyptic albums I've ever heard, though I know a lot of people on here wouldn't be too taken with something that mostly revolves around suicide.

A few others:
Black Sabbath (obviously)
Esoteric (highly recommend these guys)
Mournful Congregation
Skepticism
Thergothon
Ras Algethi
Pagan Altar
Disembowelment

Kyuss are also worth a mention

Kyuss are a stoner group, not Doom Metal

chrstphrbnntt

April 07, 2008, 03:51:05 AM
What Worship sings (growls) about doesn't really matter to me. Their music is metal at its peak, comparable to Burzum or At the Gates in its artistic relevance, passion, and poignancy. Profound despair can be a valuable inspiration in the process of making art -- as good as profound hate for the Church, et cetera.

Shape of Despair is worth investigating for fans of Worship.

edit: "Mad Max," the guy from Worship who committed suicide, is comparable to Ildjarn in his bleak outlook on life.

April 07, 2008, 10:43:58 AM
Tyranny from Finland impressed me a lot.

April 07, 2008, 06:05:21 PM

It can't be both? I've always considered most stoner rock/ metal to fall under the doom category. The majority of stoner bands that I've listened to are stylistically similar to doom and often have similar theme, I would assume from the common influence from bands like Black Sabbath and Flower Travelin' Band.

That said, what constitutes a doom band? Is it the music or the subject matter? It seems to me that doom is incredibly vast, with a lot of cross pollination from other genres.

April 07, 2008, 09:51:13 PM
Topic Format

Negligible fragment of knowledge, any 1 know?

Poster 1: Me too.

Poster 2: Me too.

Poster 3: Me too.

April 07, 2008, 11:20:14 PM

oops. well i still do enjoy them. i meant to imply that they are Sabbath influenced, and as such id say they have a bit of doominess in them. but you are right.

April 08, 2008, 12:29:58 AM
Saturnus' Paradise Belongs to You

It's full of evolving, black-metal structure, but doom metal at the core. Think of Ras Algethi.

April 08, 2008, 12:30:27 AM
Topic Format

Negligible fragment of knowledge, any 1 know?

Poster 1: Me too.

Poster 2: Me too.

Poster 3: Me too.

Hipsters are watching you

April 08, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
Saturnus' Paradise Belongs to You

It's full of evolving, black-metal structure, but doom metal at the core. Think of Ras Algethi.

Astral Dawn - kind of reminds me of 'My journey to the stars'.
The album is romantic, but is somewhat wayward.