Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.

Nile577

Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.
February 18, 2008, 07:47:47 PM
Suspiciously similar metal riffs (earlier band first)

Slayer - Tormentor (opening riff) & Monstrosity - Horror Infinity (opening riff)

Kvist - MM Lekam Er Meg Blott En Byrde (2:49) & Deathspell Omega - Sola Fide Part II (1:34)

Angelcorpse - Christhammer (2:28.) & Hate Eternal - King of all Kings (2:24)

Entombed - Premature Autopsy (opening riff) & Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face (opening riff)

Any more?

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.
February 18, 2008, 10:22:45 PM
The main riff from Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" is a direct ripoff of the main riff from Strid's End Of Life. Immortal have something to owe to that song, too, mainly in the drumming department.

February 18, 2008, 10:53:56 PM
Bathory- Necromansy & Root- Pisen Pro Satana & Burzum- War

Stigma Diabolicum- Into the Promised Land & Thorns- Lovely Children & Mayhem- From the Dark Past

Mayhem- Life Eternal & Watain- I Am the Earth

February 19, 2008, 02:24:43 AM
Metallica - For whom the bell tolls(intro) , Emperor - the acclamation of bonds (4:12)

Emperor have riped themselves too,
'Beyond the Great Vast Forest' is the same as 'My Empire's Doom'.

Star Wars theme- I think its that Darth vader or some evil character's music ,  Immortal - Pure Holocaust................ (lol)

Most Nargaroth riffs seem to be ripped off either from Burzum or Darkthrone etc and some actually are. For eg. - 'Black Fucking Metal' is a mix- rip off of Gorgoroth's 'Possessed by Satan, and Darkthrone's,'Unhoy Black Metal' ("Once upon a time" lol). he's made a career out of ripping off and creating false 'kvlt'.
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

February 19, 2008, 05:24:01 AM
Bathory - Under the Runes (0:47) & Sentenced - Nepenthe (0:35)
I'm not sure as to whether Sentenced decided that Bathory isn't popular enough for anyone to notice, or was it thought out as some sort of tribute/reinterpretation. Then again, this might be a coincidence.

Angel Witch - Angel of Death (intro/main riff) & Manilla Road - Dreams of Eschaton (1:55)
This progression seems quite obvious and natural.

February 19, 2008, 06:54:24 AM
Therion-Cthulhu & Burzum-Det Som En Gang Var

shadowmystic

February 19, 2008, 07:57:55 AM
Star Wars Darth Vader music also ripped off Mar-Bringer of War from The Planets by Gustav Holst.  So Immortal could have been ripping off that.

February 19, 2008, 08:03:54 AM
i can't remember what exact songs but some of the Veles riffs are actually from Graveland material (or vice versa). still it sounds more like a variation on a theme than direct rip-off.

same thing i like about Ildjarn, in a sense it's all too alike, with similar riffs and drumming across all songs and albums.. but it's the fragmenting into variations of melody across each song that creates a bigger picture.

February 19, 2008, 12:27:03 PM
Star Wars Darth Vader music also ripped off Mar-Bringer of War from The Planets by Gustav Holst.  So Immortal could have been ripping off that.

but I think Abbath is a Star Wars fan  :P
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

shadowmystic

February 19, 2008, 07:08:42 PM
How could anyone not be?

February 20, 2008, 12:59:32 AM
Black Sabbath & [insert stoner/doom band name here]
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

February 20, 2008, 01:04:55 AM

You cant really suggest that the Darth Vader leitmotif "ripped" off Mars, the bringer of war by Holst. There are stylistic similarities between the various incarnations of Darth Vader's leitmotif and Mars but to claim plagiarism seems a bit harsh. I think one could say John Williams took influence from Mars but to say he blatantly copied the piece you might as well say any Folk metal song that isn't by Bathory is nothing more then a copy.

February 20, 2008, 04:14:15 AM
Bathory - Born for Burning opening riff and Gorgoroth - (Under) the Pagan Monolith at around 1:30, in particular the way both riffs really get going after the build-up with a gong/gong-like noise. Bathory is everywhere in black metal, but these are suspiciously similar...
You call yourself free? Let me hear your ruling thoughts, and not that you have escaped bondage. Are you one who deserved to escape from it?

shadowmystic

February 20, 2008, 08:51:48 AM

You cant really suggest that the Darth Vader leitmotif "ripped" off Mars, the bringer of war by Holst. There are stylistic similarities between the various incarnations of Darth Vader's leitmotif and Mars but to claim plagiarism seems a bit harsh. I think one could say John Williams took influence from Mars but to say he blatantly copied the piece you might as well say any Folk metal song that isn't by Bathory is nothing more then a copy.

There were sections of Mar-Bringer of War that were almost exactly the same as parts of the Star Wars sound track, I am not actually referring to the most famous part of the Imperial March or whatever it's called.

February 20, 2008, 09:49:02 AM
A simple and powerful theme along with constant percussion makes Mars eligible for reuse in soundtracks. Listen to its ending and compare with what's played during the destruction of the Death Star. You'll find Holst all over Star Wars, Star Trek, and any other space opera.