Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.

Re: Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.
February 25, 2008, 08:49:03 PM
Immortal's Tyrants sounds really similar to Kashmir from Led Zeppelin. I don't know if it's really close but I grew up with Kashmir and when I heard the first riff to Tyrants, it clicked with me.

Re: Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.
February 26, 2008, 05:32:16 PM
One riff bothered me since a early age,

Beherit - Salomon's Gate (1:44-2:20) and  Darkthrone - Cromlech (ending riff). It is the exact same thing but used a bit differently.

Dak

There is the possibility that these riffs sound similar because one of the bands is trying to pay tribute to the other's song. Or it could just be because there is a finate number of riffs possible to be played. I wish i could cite some examples, but my mind is hazy at the moment.

Bathory - Under the Runes (0:47) & Sentenced - Nepenthe (0:35)
I'm not sure as to whether Sentenced decided that Bathory isn't popular enough for anyone to notice, or was it thought out as some sort of tribute/reinterpretation. Then again, this might be a coincidence.

Angel Witch - Angel of Death (intro/main riff) & Manilla Road - Dreams of Eschaton (1:55)
This progression seems quite obvious and natural.

Yea the Bathory riff and the  Sentenced one looks similar,but I think it goes far back to the 70's ,as it sounds like some Led Zeppelin and some other bluesy-rock bands ! It is a popular 4 chords pattern among about every music styles so I doubt it was copied...

We all listen to music of the past ,and there is so much music to listen to. Our subconscious may often   release an idea already done ,and liking the sound of it ,we simply take credit of it without knowing where it is from ..

Angel Witch - Angel of Death (intro/main riff) & Manilla Road - Dreams of Eschaton (1:55)
This progression seems quite obvious and natural.

Exactly. Many progressions are purely intuitive.

There are so many reasons of similarities:
Unconscious usage of reproductive memory.
Intentional usage of reproductive memory: paying homage, ripping off.
Or simply: lack of knowledge of greater context, intuitive creating, lack of creativity or being unable to overcome primary influences, emotional factors like jealousy.

So we gathered that knowledge. What now?

nothing new .. I just said it ;D

The opening riff in Drowned by Entombed sounds a lot like Cenotaph by Bolt Thrower at about 2:20, but the songs were written in a pretty close time frame so no suspicion of fowl play

Exactly. Many progressions are purely intuitive.

How much do you hope to find out from four notes in sequence? Four closely-placed notes on the bottom two strings...

The ancient Greeks knew it best. Music was not the rhythms or the progressions, but how these were assembled into pieces that told a story.

It's only in the modern time that we've dumbed down music so much that a four note progression defines songs.

Like "People of the Lie" and "Carnal Forge"

It's only in the modern time that we've dumbed down music so much that a four note progression defines songs.

I wonder how many people simply lack the attention span to understand metal.

TH1S BEHERIT ALBUM IS NOTHING BUT NOISe!

Listen deeper, says the metal listener... listen deeper.

The beginning of genocidal confessions by torchure and just about any lamb of god song. I think torchure might be too obscure for log to have heard of them, so it's probably coincidence that they sound alike. It just goes to show that even though it's an unusual riff, two people can think of it individually of each other.

like minded writers, no doubt

Napalm Death - Control

Amebix - The Power Remains

listen to the opening riffs in each. pretty much the exact same thing. just Amebix's version isnt as fast.

Bathory "Golden Walls of Heaven" and Slayer  "Hell Awaits".

chrstphrbnntt

Burzum - "Det som en gang var" -> Moonblood - "In a Blood Night of Fullmoon"

Pretty good song, though.

Me farting -> any black metal after 1996

Shower noises -> Von