Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Suspiciously similar riffs in metal music.

"Into the Pit" by Testament and Lamb of God's "Laid to Rest"... Terrible rip-off.

Me farting -> any black metal after 1996

Shower noises -> Von

You highly disappoint me, sir... I thought you fart in a more manly way

The most brazen and obvious rip off ever in metal was Kreator stealing riffs, vocal patterns, and even lyrics to an extent from Exodus's song Strike of the Beast, for usage on the song Total Death, off their debut. That fact is interesting to me too, considering early Kreator usually had more awesome and bad ass riffs per single song than most other speed metal bands have on an entire album. The rest of that album and Pleasure to Kill save that band from losing all credibility.

Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods main theme is stolen from the intro/The Well of Souls off Candlemass - Nightfall. This isn't a coincidence, unless the theme originally comes from somewhere else entirely.

Savage Death, who were a pre-Morpheus Descends early 80's DM band in the vein of the other bands of that era blatantly steal the opening riff of Death's Infernal Death on the song Evil Dead from the 1985 Mass Genocide demo.

The Terrorizer song Resurrection is pretty blatant in its origin as a reworked Zombie Ritual spliced with some other stuff from the first Death album.

Suffocation is a bit liberal in their usage of the riff at 0:31 of Napalm Death's Vision Conquest for the opening riff of the song Mass Obliteration.

There is a riff on the Windham Hell song God Swallow around 1:54 that's ripped from something but I can't remember what, but it's something I've heard a lot of. That always drives me fucking nuts when I run across a riff I can't place like that. Someone listen to that and tell me what that's from.

Bathory "Golden Walls of Heaven" and Slayer  "Hell Awaits".

An incredible rip-off the whole album is. I like later Bathory works ,but this one should be ignored for Slayer made it all already

I think of it as a tribute to Slayer, like Judas Priest's Painkiller.

Borrowed melodies
April 05, 2009, 01:05:48 AM
1. Morbid Angel - instrumental from FFF
2. Dead Can Dance - Xavier

I think this is borrowed from elsewhere as well.

Re: Borrowed melodies
April 05, 2009, 05:26:23 AM
I've often wondered how much of an influence Dead Can Dance has had on metal musicians. Australia's Abramelin had a cover of "Cantara" at the end of their first album. Even if the band's direct influence was minimal overall, it's hard to listen to something like Drawing Down the Moon or Ritual of Infinity without thinking back to DCD. That could simply be a personal bias, though - I've loved DCD for far longer than I've loved metal.

In a lot of instances, of course, what may seem borrowed melodies can simply be OBVIOUS melodies discovered independently by different people. I wouldn't expect this of anything more than the more basic ones, of course - a few weeks ago I heard an awful indie rock-dance fag use a melodic line that was an exact copy of one Orbital had used, but since it was just a three-note melody I didn't think too much of it.

April 05, 2009, 02:01:58 PM
An oft-cited one is:

BURZUM - "War" from ROOT - "Píseň pro Satana"

Also:

IMMORTAL - "Pure Holocaust" from the Star Wars "Imperial March"

I've never noticed anything in metal directly from DCD; all but the most ambient black metal is probably too frenetic to capture it without making it unrecognizable.

April 05, 2009, 06:43:26 PM

That can go back to Bathory's "Necromansy" though.  There was an early Burzum interview in which Varg states "it's a song to remind people of Bathory", or something to that effect.  They probably both got inspiration from that song.

April 05, 2009, 08:00:20 PM
Here's an obvious one:

Amorphis - In the Beginning (I think)  (from Tales From the Thousand Lakes)

Dead Can Dance - The Host of Seraphim (from The Serpent's Egg)

http://www.divshare.com/download/6146915-8ec

April 05, 2009, 09:26:58 PM
An oft-cited one is:

Also:

IMMORTAL - "Pure Holocaust" from the Star Wars "Imperial March"

I've never noticed anything in metal directly from DCD; all but the most ambient black metal is probably too frenetic to capture it without making it unrecognizable.

The Immortal one is so blatantly obvious, that it always makes me chuckle.

For the user who said that Desolate Ways reminded him of a DCD song. Which song would that be exactly? Thanks.

April 05, 2009, 09:41:36 PM

That can go back to Bathory's "Necromansy" though.  There was an early Burzum interview in which Varg states "it's a song to remind people of Bathory", or something to that effect.  They probably both got inspiration from that song.

I'd almost forgotten about that one. I remember noticing the similarity to Bathory the first time i heard it; I just assumed it was an informal tribute song.

I don't find "Desolate Ways" to be very similar to DCD's music at all. In "sound," maybe, but I don't see much of a compositional similarity. The rest of Blessed Are the Sick, though, has reminded of DCD right from the start - "Fall from Grace" is very similar to "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove," the title track is similar to "Xavier," "Day of Suffering" and "Rebel Lands" remind of some of the stuff on Aion.. etc. "The Ancient Ones" certainly conveys the same sense of majestic vistas found in some of DCD's best work in the Within the Realm of A Dying Sun / The Serpent's Egg period.

April 07, 2009, 03:37:11 AM
Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie >>>> Thorns - Aerie Descent
Darkthrone - To Walk the Infernal Fields >>>> Bathory - Enter the Eternal Fire

just came across this last night: Candlemass - Black Stone Wielder (the riff that starts at 01:12) <---> Autopsy - Severed Survival (the riff that starts at 01:48)

Mortuary - 'Abyss Angel' the "phrase/riff" starting @ 2:20 and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly "theme."  Am I off on this one?  At the very least it REMINDS me of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.