Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

last.fm sucks; here's a better alternative

last.fm sucks; here's a better alternative
April 27, 2008, 06:26:44 PM
Last.fm's fault is that it is socially-oriented (despite that you cannot socialize on a computer) as opposed to being musically-oriented.

Pandora, on the other hand, is the inverse of last.fm, and it's not so much for finding people who listen to the same music as you as it is for finding more music similar to what you listen to.

http://www.pandora.com/

I have used this site in the past, but be careful: especially regarding metal, it has been known to churn out all sorts of inane associations. If you type in Darkthrone, you might occasionally get Lamb of God or Sum 41.

last.fm is socially oriented only if you make it to be so.

its still a good tool for finding music.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

regarding metal, I haven't felt the need to look beyond  DLA and metal hall.
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

regarding metal, I haven't felt the need to look beyond  DLA and metal hall.

Quoted for truth.

I use lastfm to track my listening habits and that's about it, hence why I find the original post a bit naive to say the least.

Pandora doesn't work outside the US...

Last.fm is a decent tool for finding new music, but unlike sites like this, you have to dig through a lot of crap to find some gems. I guess the same thing can be said about the people there.

A good place to start:

ANUS at Last.fm
Corrupt at Last.fm

Reality is that services on the internet are integrating social aspects to bring in revenue and maintain people's interest within that environment.  It works.  Kinda like how ANUS has these forums.  Nobody forces us to participate, so that's not really a valid argument...

If Last.fm sucks, it is because it is not well thought out.  As an example look up "Absurd" and every artist with that name is thrown on one page with no distinction.  There is no clear organization of albums and tracks, all that matters is what tracks are the most popular with the masses.  And there is seemingly no authority, no moderation.

RateYourMusic is infinitely more useful and better organized.  All users are rated on musical compatibility with eachother, and after some time you can get weighted suggestions from this.  It is a good resource to look up details on albums and artists, and while anyone can contribute, there is a formal structure to be followed.

I got banned form Last fm because I was engaged in some Infoterrorism. Can anyone suggest how do I beat  it (fake email account ?) and sign up again ?
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

I got banned form Last fm because I was engaged in some Infoterrorism. Can anyone suggest how do I beat  it (fake email account ?) and sign up again ?

- Tor or proxy of some kind that works with https protocol
- Clear Cookies/Cache
- Mailinator

This is all in theory though. I've never tried it on last.fm, but that's how it's done anywhere else.

They don't IP ban, just clear your cookies and use another email address.

ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Yeah sure, epic. If you're 13 years old.

and this epic troll

Real thing that happened with me and Chuck Schuldiner

I know that guy.. we trolled the same people together.

I stole his avatar for my signature, in honor.

Was his name Terry Bull?

Was his name Terry Bull?

I think it was I.B. Gaenblak.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh