Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What is a hipster?

Re: What is a hipster?
May 06, 2008, 07:32:26 PM
They are parasites who take on the appearance of understanding an artform, and use it to justify their own lives, and manipulate it for their own ends, replacing it with an inferior substitute.

Adding onto this, I'd say that hipsters are not concerned with an artform in itself, but rather with the ways in which said artform will contribute to their ego -- whether that means being incessantly smug or simply being boring and slackerish.

Hipsters don't care about art because they think they are the art. We are not supposed to praise their favorite bands; we are supposed to praise them for liking the bands. Since it's 'uncool' to actually care about anything, this mentality spreads like wildfire wherever it emerges.

May 06, 2008, 08:19:15 PM
I hate the whole bandana around the neck and the random tattoos on the neck and hands but no other tattoos on the body hipster styles. Stop trying so hard!

May 06, 2008, 08:21:22 PM
There are hipsters in every subculture, artform, political movement, and musical subgenre. The term can apply to both "fans" and particpants. Hipsters aren't simply outsiders and newcomers, or "poseurs", but just as commonly include experienced and knowledgable "veterans". This is what makes the hipster mentality so insidious. It does not apply to a type of individual so much as a state of mind which anyone can lapse into (and most of us have at one time or another). There has always been plenty of underconfidence and hence false elitism displayed by hessians. The amusing thing is how obvious this is to mainstreamers (people comfortable with their ordinariness).

May 07, 2008, 12:21:14 AM
spot the hipster

one is in college and the other is my uncle

May 09, 2008, 12:37:05 AM
I think the definition should include this:

Surface versus substance.

Hipsters look at the surface, and are actors who pretend to be profound to cover up the fact that they don't understand the substance.

They are parasites who take on the appearance of understanding an artform, and use it to justify their own lives, and manipulate it for their own ends, replacing it with an inferior substitute.

Image over substance.

That is certainly one possible interpretation and I think is true for some.

I think another thing we can say about one who is a hipster is that they have realized how, "normal" they actually are, and put on an act of enjoying, "alternative" things, in order to feel superior and to separate themselves from others, all while actually enjoying the very things they make fun of others for liking.

May 09, 2008, 12:41:32 AM

I'd be temped to say that the crusty 2-track black metal fan is a hipster, no?

I would agree.

I think it all ultimately comes down to being true to oneself. Does one do what they do because they genuinely enjoy it?

I think some, "hipsters" are so caught up in being, "different", that they find that it isn't so much what they scoff or praise at, but simply that they have found something to scoff and praise at.

May 09, 2008, 01:12:59 AM
True to oneself... but what if their true self is a boring dipshit?

I think, as a Nietzschean, I have to say that people don't become ordinary because they're hipsters... they become hipsters because they're ordinary and resent that fact. Striking back with passivity.

See also The Hype Cycle

May 09, 2008, 01:29:22 AM
True to oneself... but what if their true self is a boring dipshit?

I think, as a Nietzschean, I have to say that people don't become ordinary because they're hipsters... they become hipsters because they're ordinary and resent that fact. Striking back with passivity.

See also The Hype Cycle

One can be a boring dipshit and not be a hipster. The two aren't mutually exclusive. But then at that point, it's more about the things you enjoy versus those things others enjoy, and that's a cyclical argument not worth starting.

I think that one can become a hipster in many ways. Who knows just how many ways one comes to that point in their lives?

May 09, 2008, 05:48:06 AM
Hipsterism like any modern activity designed for people who have too much time on their hands, requires a collective base. Take blogging for example, everyone with half a brain is given the once in a lifetime chance to peep into somebody's mundane life whether its the guy brushing his teeth or he just shit his pants in the middle of traffic. Some people are voyeurs while the others act as the exhibitionists.

"Hey, the New York Times says No Country For Old Men was a great film worthy of an Oscar" or some other statement will have the wheels of hipsterism rolling in no time.

Pardon me but it seems even anus.com was somewhat guilty of a little hipsterism themselves every once in a while.

May 11, 2008, 04:01:50 PM
The term "hipster" is fucking stupid. I personally blame onan for the propagation of its usage here.

But that Cryptopsy bit is very accurate. The new album proves fans of that band don't even know why they listen to music or what they even truly like. The newest album is really no different musically than any other Crypto album since NSV, but the entire metal scene has disowned it thanks only to the presence of clean alternative rock vocals. If the entire album sounded like the first two or three songs all the way through, it would be another metal archives classic.

May 11, 2008, 05:55:00 PM
The term "hipster" is fucking stupid. I personally blame onan for the propagation of its usage here.

But that Cryptopsy bit is very accurate. The new album proves fans of that band don't even know why they listen to music or what they even truly like. The newest album is really no different musically than any other Crypto album since NSV, but the entire metal scene has disowned it thanks only to the presence of clean alternative rock vocals. If the entire album sounded like the first two or three songs all the way through, it would be another metal archives classic.

f you can listen to Once Was Not, and then the new album, and still tell me that they sound similar....then i really wont know what to say.

the Mike DiSalvo years were dismal, but i give the band credit for attempting to further themselves after the release of None So Vile. occasional moments (minus DiSalvo's terrible excuse for vocals) on the two albums were interesting.

honestly, i dont know what kind of shit you have clogging up your ears. the new Cryptopsy album is mall/deathcore to the bone. adding in random segments of clean vocals/guitars, an occasional keyboard bit, and some metalcore loser who sounds like hes getting fingered by an orangutan does not make you progressive.

it makes you fucking trendy garbage. and that is what the new Cryptopsy album is. trendy garbage.

May 11, 2008, 06:22:52 PM
I think the definition should include this:

Surface versus substance.

Hipsters look at the surface, and are actors who pretend to be profound to cover up the fact that they don't understand the substance.

Image over substance.

That's a good summary of it. This is usually also accompanied by a high level of insincerity expressed as cynicism, and a contempt for earnestness on anyone elses part.

Oh yeah, add impenetrable character armor thing. Hipsters can never admit to being wrong - they never have more to learn, they never have further to develop, so on and so forth. The hipster stance is one of jaded invulnerability.

May 11, 2008, 11:30:36 PM

I'd be temped to say that the crusty 2-track black metal fan is a hipster, no?

Yes indeed. Xasthur fans are invariably hipsters.

May 11, 2008, 11:35:11 PM

Yes indeed. Xasthur fans are invariably hipsters.

In many cases they are literally outsider hipsters turned "black metal fans."

May 12, 2008, 03:21:51 AM
Hipsters = fans of whatsoever.

I won't strat a new topic but "what is a fan" ?