Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What is a hipster?

Re: What is a hipster?
February 05, 2009, 12:31:32 AM
Early Cradle of Filth is just heavy metal. People like it for the same reason they like later Metallica. However, such people also want black metal to be dumbed down into heavy metal, and so they're destructive idiots who open the door for the hipster -- because the hipster only can act on music that is like all other music except in aesthetic.

To understand aesthetic as different from structure, make a version of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" using distorted power chords and fast rhythms, distortion and black metal vocals. Does it sound like Velvet Caccoon? Indeed.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

February 05, 2009, 09:24:38 PM
What irritates me the most about hipsters is that they put on a facade that they don't really care about anything, and that nothing is serious to them. They are personas, not personalities, and they do things they could care less about (because they don't care about anything, right) in order to impress people. They are amongst us for the time being, but their interest will fade and they will move on to the "next big thing".

Hipsters are just attention whores. They are the very definition of what a poser is. What you typed just proved my argument.

February 05, 2009, 09:52:45 PM
Early Cradle of Filth is just heavy metal. People like it for the same reason they like later Metallica. However, such people also want black metal to be dumbed down into heavy metal, and so they're destructive idiots who open the door for the hipster -- because the hipster only can act on music that is like all other music except in aesthetic.

To understand aesthetic as different from structure, make a version of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" using distorted power chords and fast rhythms, distortion and black metal vocals. Does it sound like Velvet Caccoon? Indeed.
Saying that an album like Dusk and her Embrace is pure heavy metal is absolute rubbish. Cradle of Filth is Gothic Metal (their own form, indeed) and never has been Black Metal in any sense. I would much prefer the elaborate victorian and romantic aesthetic of their early albums to some shit kvlt 666 band named SatanMisanthropy who records their album in a windtunnel in one day. You'll argue that Dusk and her Embrace is older Metallica because of production but than so is Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse, Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. All of these albums use clear guitar tones.

February 05, 2009, 11:20:03 PM
"Dusk and Her Embrace" is a good album.  Cradle of Filth turned down the "Metal" and turned up the "music".  However, it wasn't popular enough, so in subsequent releases they appear to have, annoyingly, changed direction significantly - fully reversed, in fact.

I own all of their albums and DVDs, through my own purchase (the earlier albums) or as gifts from well meaning family and friends (the later garbage), and of all of the music they have ever created, they were never so good as when they were not trying to play Metal, and were simply creating music (read: "Vempire" and "Dusk...").

I agree with Mr. Woods, in that the "elaborate victorian and romantic æsthetic" was, by far, the most interesting and captivating aspect of their music.  "Dusk", especially, has an undefinable feeling to it, especially when considering the entire package - the music, cover, and booklet, and the images used in the last two, create a definably "English" atmosphere, which is not present in any other British Black Metal.  On the back of the booklet, to be precise, there is a picture of a Graveyard, which is so picturesque, especially after its photo manipulation, as to seem to be the inspiration for every good bit of music in the entire album.

But that's enough about Cradle of Filth.  There was a trend, recently, for despising them purely because of their recent music - the trend, now, is to like them for their early output.  Being not a follower of trends, I can merely assert that I have always liked their early work, and will always like it, even when it becomes unfashinable.

Praeteritio over.  Hipsters can suck a cock.

February 06, 2009, 12:30:48 AM
Saying that an album like Dusk and her Embrace is pure heavy metal is absolute rubbish. Cradle of Filth is Gothic Metal (their own form, indeed) and never has been Black Metal in any sense. I would much prefer the elaborate victorian and romantic aesthetic of their early albums to some shit kvlt 666 band named SatanMisanthropy who records their album in a windtunnel in one day. You'll argue that Dusk and her Embrace is older Metallica because of production but than so is Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse, Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. All of these albums use clear guitar tones.

Nobody cares about similar "guitar tones" among albums here.  You are barking up the wrong tree.

February 06, 2009, 01:52:24 PM
What I think ASBO meant by heavy metal (correct me if I am wrong) is that he was using it as a blanket term for rock-oriented metal music, which "gothic" metal (ugh) falls under.

Cradle of Filth has never been close to black metal, though at one time on their demos they were content with dishing out subpar death metal.

It is also my opinion that Cradle of Filth has never been close to good music, either.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

NHA

February 28, 2009, 05:40:34 AM
Surprise guest appearance by der Führer at the end there.

February 28, 2009, 04:13:05 PM
Surprise guest appearance by der Führer at the end there.

HAHAHA!  niiiice
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!

March 01, 2009, 04:03:21 PM
Cradle of Filth has never been close to black metal, though at one time on their demos they were content with dishing out subpar death metal.

It is also my opinion that Cradle of Filth has never been close to good music, either.

My thoughts exactly. COF is just a big musical clusterfuck... for hipsters.

March 28, 2009, 07:31:13 PM
A hipster is anyone who believes all things are essentially the same, because they are essentially indistinctive, and as a result demands that we adorn ourselves with external symbols in random combinations in order to be "different" and thus, valuable socially.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

May 21, 2011, 01:00:57 PM
Theory:

Hipster is an updated form of poseur.

What is a poseur? Someone who uses authenticity as a credential for their own selfish ends.

Authenticity: realism in a time of denial; usually accompanied by political activism, dropping out from society, not being in denial about death, suffering and how utterly useless most of these people (grown like grapes on the vine of supermarkets and free medical care) are.

Hipster is just a slick form of poseur; the poseurs banded together, and decided that inauthenticity was the true authenticity. It's like postmodernism turned inside out.

They are the ultimate Crowdists, and no act of eugenic violence against them is too extreme. If we pitch all the hipsters, poseurs, scenesters and pedophiles into tree chippers, we are left with an audience of normal people.

Most of them will not be contributors, or all that exciting, but they will also not be diehard liars...

June 23, 2011, 04:34:17 AM
http://hipsterhitler.com/
-This is one of the most astute webcomics that I've seen in a while and a great answer to the question of the title of this thread.

September 11, 2011, 07:35:34 PM
At this point the definition of the hipster has been so popularised by internet memes that it has almost no value other than the most simplistic: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions. Most people only recognize its surface manifestations (as highlighted by many of the sites already mentioned) and so believe that avoiding certain pop culture preferences, thought expressions (ex: "I liked ___ before it was popular"), and clothing choices is what saves oneself from the dreaded label.

I think the idea of the hipster should be considered more like a thought process that can be compared to a healthy alternative like this:

Q: How do you define yourself as an individual?

Hipster: I love black metal, horror films, and martial arts. I don't know anyone else who enjoys these things as much as I do so I'm pretty individualistic in that sense.
(surface level preferences and selfish individualism)

Healthy alternative: I realize that I am part of a larger process that doesn't promote me based on how "unique" I am, but rather by how effectively I define and enact my role in it. Black metal, horror films and martial arts are methods I use to better understand and be inspired by this philosophy.
(internal preferences and selfless individualism)

Edit: Word choice.