Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pestilence-Malleus Malficarum to be Remastered

Pestilence is considered one of the most important icons of the technical metal scene. Known for mixing various influences, from thrash to jazz and fusion with classic death metal, the band became a legend a long time before their final split-up in 1993. Now, with the exclusive re-release of Pestilence’s debut album "Malleus Malficarum", metal fans may once again witness the sheer genius of this truly unique formation…

“Malleus Malficarum” is definitely an album worth picking up by any metal enthusiast. It delivers a solid thrash/death metal assault and marks the beginning of Pestilence’s artistic journey through a brutal world of damnation. If you’re a true fan of technical death metal, be sure to include yourself in that voyage!

New digipak edition limited to 2000 copies will be released by Metal Mind Productions on 19th May 2008 in Europe (except for Benelux) and on 8th July 2008 in USA (via MVD). Digitally remastered using 24-Bit process on golden disc.

Metal Mind Website

Wasn't this reissued in the late 90s?  I picked up a copy for about $8 on eBay a few years ago, and it seemed to be in good condition, if not completely new.

Isn't Metal Mind known for doing rather sub-standard re-issues?  I recall the Sadus ones being poorly received.

Wasn't this reissued in the late 90s?.

It was.

Isn't Metal Mind known for doing rather sub-standard re-issues?  I recall the Sadus ones being poorly received.

They are.

For the record, this album doesn't seem to hold up all that well today, anyway.

I think the demos they added to the original reissue actually have better versions of most of the songs that appear on the LP. Reason being, the production style on the LP just sucks all the life and energy out of the band.

I think the demos they added to the original reissue actually have better versions of most of the songs that appear on the LP. Reason being, the production style on the LP just sucks all the life and energy out of the band.

I think the album holds up well if you can listen past the production, which is a necessary skill in metal.

The producer went for a heavy metal sound in a speed metal/death metal era, so it's low on bass and often sounds tinny as a result when played quickly.

However, with an equalizer, you can do an ad hoc "remaster" of your own that works well. Peak the mids, up the bass 50%, and drop the high end about 25%.

Always loved the album, but I think "Consuming Impulse" is more flattering.