Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Moshing

Moshing
May 08, 2008, 12:55:19 AM
Real heshers do not mosh. - The False Profit

I've always been divided on this issue. Moshing can be a lot of fun if done in the "slamdance" sense and not the goofy, poseur-y. But that applies to all of metal. Suffocation... or Behemoth. Caste divisions appear.

Re: Moshing
May 08, 2008, 04:51:58 AM
It came out of the punk scene, and it reeks of the faggotry that always infested that social circle.

Bottom line: you can't listen to the music and mosh (ergo, missing the point) and it disturbs other concert goers (making it a selfish act).  There's a reason the only people you see moshing at metal shows are the shorthairs with trucker hats and bookbags.  The few that aren't actively straightedge (monks in other words - blech) drink PBR and Miller High Life exclusively.  What homos.

May 08, 2008, 07:43:02 AM
I understand where you're coming from. Instead of listening to the music, these poser fags do nothing but fuck up the scene from behind. From hair metal to grunge, to nu metal and now emo, they'd suck up anything.

May 08, 2008, 08:16:10 PM
I find moshing quite revolting.  The only people I speak to who find moshing fun are posers.  It is a lousy destraction from what people go to concerts to do - listen to bands.

May 08, 2008, 08:34:00 PM
Moshing was a violently enjoyable novelty for me that lasted about five-minutes back in the mid-1980's when I was a teenager. It got old with breathtaking swiftness. It would seem roughly the time it began being called "moshing" the realization of just how foolish it all was hit home.
It appears only to have grown exponentially more asinine since then...

May 08, 2008, 11:15:15 PM
i used to a lot more, however, my back has been getting worse these past few years (im only 20...). so it is something i rarely do.

once in a while though, it can be fun.

May 09, 2008, 12:21:46 AM
Personally, I follow my feeling. It is impossible for me not to get excited for Slayer, a band which I cherish.

May 09, 2008, 01:26:29 AM
I like to mosh. However, I know what TFP is talking about, which are the dipshits who ruin mosh pits.

Intelligent moshing is like any aerobic exercise, collaborative, and it's not any more violent than most contact sports, and less so than many (lacrosse, football, racial reconciliation).

A lot of good things came from punk. True, with it came a fairly pointless ideology, but that has ensnared many generations because it sounds good until you consider the nth consequences in a causal succession.

May 09, 2008, 06:53:02 PM
I have a problem with moshing when it becomes a macho man, who-can-knock-down-who contest, or when the scene kids come and swing at the air. Can't we just leave it as a personal choice like whether or not to use drugs or whether or not to lubricate? It's right for some people and not for others. What makes it any more stupid than headbanging, other than the fact that The False Profit pointed out, that it disturbs other concert goers? If you don't want to mosh, chances are you won't stand anywhere near the mosh pit, which can still be very enjoyable. I've been to many shows standing in the very front row and not being disturbed my moshers... and others where I was in the front and had my knees ground to a pulp on the 2 foot high stage (worth it).

Moshing, for some, can maximize the experience of being at a show where fast and angry music is being played, and nothing more. And for others, it's just stupidity. I can see where both sides are coming from, but at least have the sense to know that both are right and both are wrong

May 09, 2008, 07:06:29 PM
It came out of the punk scene, and it reeks of the faggotry that always infested that social circle.

that's a hard card to play. D-Beats suck but Gorgoroth still uses them. 3 notes in a song sucks but Von still does it.

Crossover/thrash and grindcore both came from the punk scene, do they reek of this faggotry you speak of?

May 09, 2008, 07:26:37 PM
Can't we just leave it as a personal choice like whether or not to use drugs or whether or not to lubricate?

It is a personal choice to eat feces.

We are known by the rationality of our choices.

I don't think moshing is dumb, unless done stupidly.

May 09, 2008, 09:19:38 PM
I think that Apocalyptic Raves's point was very good.  It is a personal choice if you want to mosh.  Heavy music's symbolism is sometimes best expressed by body motion, it is in these motions that the meaning of the music comes alive for some people.  Maybe this explanation is a little too thoughtful or coherent, the best and most genuine cause for dancing is when you simply have no control, and in this it is not a choice, you are commanded, you are at the mercy of the music, it controls you.  There is a parallel between this idea and  taste in music, sometimes taste is not a choice for the listener or aficionado, I don't necessarily feel as though I choose the music I like, I feel as though it chooses me.  This idea is the same with moving your body to it, sometimes it just has to be done.  In the words of Crowley:
Do What Thou Wilt.  And if what you do makes your blood boil than keep doing it, it is a pretentious assumption that music is better not danced to.  I think it is a failure when beliefs and inhibitions hold you back from the true embodiment of inner desires.  This is the essence of Satanic Philosophy to me.

May 09, 2008, 09:33:15 PM
Intelligent moshing is like any aerobic exercise, collaborative, and it's not any more violent than most contact sports, and less so than many (lacrosse, football, racial reconciliation).

This is correct.

Do you ever find yourself moving your head in response to metal? Your hands, or legs? "Moshing", correctly done, is just an increased expression of  this, on a sort of collective level - violence resulting from it is only incidental. This is never something I've found impossible to do while paying attention to the music, either, especially if it is music I am already intimately familiar with.

I detect an element of covert hipster bullshit in this thread. Whining about the "state of the scene" and such tends to denote the condition of being a "scenester", as does making observations based on hair-length and conformity to stupid subcultural norms. Transcend this ass-babble or rot in hipster Hell.

May 09, 2008, 11:39:12 PM

that's a hard card to play. D-Beats suck but Gorgoroth still uses them. 3 notes in a song sucks but Von still does it.

Crossover/thrash and grindcore both came from the punk scene, do they reek of this faggotry you speak of?

What part of 'social circle' sounds like a reference to musical technique to you, genius?

May 09, 2008, 11:56:52 PM

This is correct.

Do you ever find yourself moving your head in response to metal? Your hands, or legs? "Moshing", correctly done, is just an increased expression of  this, on a sort of collective level - violence resulting from it is only incidental. This is never something I've found impossible to do while paying attention to the music, either, especially if it is music I am already intimately familiar with.

Bullshit.  If you're flinging yourself into others, you're not listening to the music, at least not with the attentiveness that great music demands.  And, if it ain't great music, why are you there in the first place?  Add in the fact that it is distracting to other concertgoers and dangerous when practiced by morons (99% of the people in any given mosh pit), and there is no defensible reason for engaging in the practice.  None.  

I detect an element of covert hipster bullshit in this thread. Whining about the "state of the scene" and such tends to denote the condition of being a "scenester", as does making observations based on hair-length and conformity to stupid subcultural norms.

The whole point of the DLA and these forums has been, from the very beginning, to establish and uphold the social and artistic values of the Hessian Subculture.  Now, you may feel that this mission is somehow advanced by giving spastic asshats free reign to be spastic asshats and ruin the concert experience for everyone else, but that just makes you yet another liberal puking back socially inculcated mantras about personal freedom and individual expression.  This is metal, kids, either get with the program and reject mainstream social norms and gestures, or go find another genre to pollute with your voyeuristic dillettantism.