Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Moshing

Re: Moshing
May 10, 2008, 12:32:15 AM
Reject society's norms, and conform to what we think. yep, i dont see the irony there at all.

May 10, 2008, 02:15:31 AM
This always happens that you get two extreme ends of the spectrum on these stupid thrreads that turn into arguments. Moshing can be an interesting way of expressing ones enjoyement at a gig. But it is practiced by a lot of morons and can interrrupt other peoples gig who do not want to mosh. If you want do it, if you don't want, don't do it. It seems obvious when i put it like that but it so often forgotten.

I do not mosh because if i am really at a gig for the music i will be listenning to it. But i got no problem with others moshing. And guys, yes, don't conform to the norms of society, but it doens't mean you have to do what falco said. He's not telling what to do, we're all here for the same reason and the same goal, and if you're not then fuck off right now. We're here to discuss how we acheive that goal.

May 10, 2008, 05:52:39 AM
Reject society's norms, and conform to what we think. yep, i dont see the irony there at all.

Because, as we all know, acting like a shithead should be encouraged, so as to make sure all the individuals feel included.  Fuck that.

May 10, 2008, 06:44:37 AM
unlike Pink Frothy AIDS fans/late 90s metal, punks seem like they're moshing for real. yeah i could imagine doing a shitload of speed and getting my brain dislodged in the fuckin pit, seems better at times than holding down a day job. .. having a neat and tidy cd collection... etect etc .well i guess everyone escapes in their own way..

May 10, 2008, 11:29:46 AM
It is a personal choice if you want to mosh.

The personal choice argument translates to: don't think about reality, just do what you prefer, even if that is uninformed and stupid. Do you see why so many of us here hate the "personal choice" argument?

May 10, 2008, 07:23:15 PM
I do not mosh because if i am really at a gig for the music i will be listenning to it.

I can see the benefit of body passivity with respect to improvised music, or music that has not been heard by the concert attendee before. When you know Angel of Death note for note, this doesn't really apply. It's possible to do both.

Quote from: onan
link=board=deathmetal;num=1210218919;start=15#16 date=05/09/08 at 22:15:31

The personal choice argument translates to: don't think about reality, just do what you prefer, even if that is uninformed and stupid. Do you see why so many of us here hate the "personal choice" argument?

Well, let's assess the reality - is moshing a rational choice? I think we need to set apart moshing (headbanging and rhythmic body movements) and slamdancing.

Moshing is rhythm oriented, like dancing. But dancing makes more sense - a waltz has a set structure so the dancer can anticipate rhythmic changes. Metal is also somewhat predictable because if a riff is played, it's likely to be played again. Most metal moshers are listening to a version of a song that's inside their head - if there are any unexpected changes, they will look and feel foolish. Everyone has seen those front row kids still headbanging seconds after a riff or song has finished.

I've never done it, but I think the slamdance sounds much more sensible -  the responsive buildup of chaos is more adapted to metal than rhythmic body movements.

May 11, 2008, 01:28:30 AM

In regards to the straightedge discussion, I'm not sure that I would categorize choosing to remain in a lucid state as being uninformed and stupid, or that I would lump it in with being a  pedophile or a Christian either, those things serve no one but the self, and more importantly are often, or always, as the case may be, harmful to others. I fail to see how staying sober negatively impacts anyone. There are exceptions as with anything else though, those assholes that will beat up people for smoking or drinking are a waste of life and a detriment to everyone, and there are undoubtedly people that have come up with incredibly beneficial ideas while intoxicated in some way.

May 12, 2008, 10:56:12 AM
Exactly. When I first brought up the personal choice thing, I had no intention of it becoming a defense for any otherwise unjustifiable behavior. Only that in the end, it's up to the members of the audience which is why this issue will always remain divided. Some people find reason and meaning in it while others don't. Some people can't bring themselves to do something so ridiculous and other people can't go to a show without it.

My mistake TFP.

May 12, 2008, 05:45:02 PM
Only in the in-depth analysis of dance can the act or possible art of moshing be justified and enacted. But as a far as I know it,  moshing is more of a way of letting out frustrations from "the Real World" than it is a dance. Perhaps we are hinting at a way of forming a new metal-lic dance?  Just as long as it doesn't turn out to be an "original", hipster-ish dance like the stupid ninja-stuff they do at Cryptopsy shows.  

May 12, 2008, 08:12:53 PM
you said it before I could, Pathologist. Who got the crazy notion that moshing was a dance anyway?

May 13, 2008, 01:01:57 AM
Of course it's a dance. It's the movement of the body to music.

May 13, 2008, 01:17:41 AM
So is tapping your toe, but no one calls it dancing.

May 13, 2008, 06:17:40 AM
Go to a rave and express your beautiful self through the art of dance.

May 14, 2008, 07:13:54 AM
 I like to mosh.However, I know what TFP is talking about, which are the dipshits who ruin mosh pits.

May 24, 2008, 08:52:40 PM
It came out of the punk scene, and it reeks of the faggotry that always infested that social circle.

Bottom line: you can't listen to the music and mosh (ergo, missing the point) and it disturbs other concert goers (making it a selfish act).  There's a reason the only people you see moshing at metal shows are the shorthairs with trucker hats and bookbags.  The few that aren't actively straightedge (monks in other words - blech) drink PBR and Miller High Life exclusively.  What homos.

Methinks if the venue wishes to take on the liability (yes, there could well be a liability if security decides not to apprehend and expel an injuring party) the zone should be designated so that those who wish to avoid injury may do so.  Otherwise, such persons ought to have their asses kicked non-recreationally.

At Pagnfest in Raleigh, I noticed that of the participants of the pit that took place not far from the stage, where I had the privilege of being near front and centre.  Their appearance was reminiscant of the punk scene of old; how they wound up at at the event I do not know.  However, after a few slams against the stage, my legs gave out on account of the ensuing pain and I had to withdraw to the facilities and rehydrate.  Being quite skinny, there was not much cushion and the area wound up bruising.  :-/

Should I write the management or are such things to be anticipated?