Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Root - Hell Symphony

Root - Hell Symphony
April 19, 2008, 01:46:25 PM
What is the general opinion of the Czech black metal band Root? I think that Hell Symphony is an interesting album and also I read that they were one of the early bands to circulate black metal demos in the early 90's.
Anyone know about this?

Re: Root Hell Symphony
April 22, 2008, 12:14:30 AM
Wow, never heard of these guys before. Think you could post that album in Audiofile?

Re: Root Hell Symphony
April 22, 2008, 01:17:05 AM
What do you mean by "in the early 90s?"  They were recording/distributing demos in the late 80s, but they generally had as much in common with what came to be known as "black metal" circa 1991 as MERCYFUL FATE did -- probably further removed from the "refined" definition than MASTER'S HAMMER (who I also consider superior).

Fun fact: people often claim BURZUM to have lifted the main riff for "War" from ROOT's "Pisen pro satana" from the Reap of Hell demo. Another "suspiciously similar moment," more likely.

Re: Root - Hell Symphony
April 27, 2008, 11:28:50 PM

Trauco

May 10, 2008, 09:09:49 PM
Root started playing the style of Black Metal that wasn't far removed from other czech exponents of the time, like Törr and early Master's Hammer, albeit Big Boss' vocals gave them a more bizarre twist.

From "The Temple in the Underworld" onwards, they changed their style towards something more influenced by doom and traditional metal, adding it up with the more complex structuring introduced in "Hell Symphony". I'm particularly fond of their "Temple" and "Kärgeräs" album for their consistency and emotional content.

I'll add these albums later to the Audiofile section.

May 14, 2008, 05:54:55 PM
Thanks, that's just the clarification I needed. This is the the best second hand metal source on the net. Kudos!

May 15, 2008, 12:40:19 AM
Root is a great band, if you can get past Big Bosses vocalism's. They are quite the acquired taste. Don't get me wrong though, his vocals do work in a strangely satisfying way. I bought the Hell Symphony/Kargeras double album a long time ago and it is still refreshing to listen to them both. I tend to champion Kargeras namely for the masterful guitar work Blackie does on the whole album. His musicianship is awe inspiring. Kargeras has some of the best guitar riffs and solos to ever be recorded. I always listen to this album when I go on long road trips.  And the music always stays with me long after I have listened to it. I really recommend this album.

Trauco

May 15, 2008, 12:58:04 AM
Root is a great band, if you can get past Big Bosses vocalism's. They are quite the acquired taste. Don't get me wrong though, his vocals do work in a strangely satisfying way. I bought the Hell Symphony/Kargeras double album a long time ago and it is still refreshing to listen to them both. I tend to champion Kargeras namely for the masterful guitar work Blackie does on the whole album. His musicianship is awe inspiring. Kargeras has some of the best guitar riffs and solos to ever be recorded. I always listen to this album when I go on long road trips.  And the music always stays with me long after I have listened to it. I really recommend this album.

I suggest you go for "The Temple in the Underworld" next. The riffs and structures are a bit more obvious than the ones on Kärgeräs, yet is a lot more monumental and heavy aesthetically speaking.