Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Australia

Australia
May 13, 2008, 09:58:09 PM
Doing a bit of travelling at the moment, from the uk originally. Just wondered out of shear curiosity if there was anyone from australia here who knows of any aussy bands. I've never heard anything of an Australian scene in metal, but i thought it would be interesting to ask.

Re: Australia
May 14, 2008, 03:50:48 AM
Spear of Longinus
Armoured Angel
Dead Can Dance (not metal)

May 14, 2008, 04:46:10 AM
For some reason I keep forgetting that Dead Can Dance are Australian. Perhaps because they don't receive as much attention as Silverchair in the mainstream press, but anyway.

There's not that much good Australian metal, diSEMBOWELMENT is quite good, but I believe they've broken up, Nazxul are decent black metal but nothing revolutionary, Reverand Kriss Hades' of Nazxul has his own solo ambient/black metal project worth checking out, Psycroptic are OK, I saw them live and was very impressed, but typical grindcore/death metal.

Avoid The Amenta like AIDS, they were pretty popular a few years ago, heard the album, was average, saw them live, was dreadful.

Hm, that's about it, there's a reason why Australia is considered a cultural wasteland.  :(

May 14, 2008, 06:35:43 AM
Hm, that's about it, there's a reason why Australia is considered a cultural wasteland.  :(

Yeah. I'm gonna move to Europe.

Some more good Australian bands:
-Astriaal (a little generic, but good - try catch them live if you go to Brisbane)
-Destroyer 666 (living in Europe now though)
-Portal
Stay away from Striborg and Abyssic Hate.

How many Australians are on this site? Rollcall plz?

May 14, 2008, 08:16:13 AM
God, I am brain dead, completely forgot about those bands that you mentioned.

Striborg would actually be OK if he knew how to play drums, didn't use the terrible sounding reverb on his voice and didn't stretch out every song.

Abyssic Hate is a boring Burzum clone, comes up with one catchy riff and repeats it for 15 minutes.

chrstphrbnntt

May 14, 2008, 08:16:18 AM
Mournful Congregation is a good funeral doom band.

May 14, 2008, 08:20:25 AM
How many Australians are on this site? Rollcall plz?

Word up.

For starters, Dead Can Dance is the best music this country has produced, bar none.

As for the local metal acts, the good: Destroyer 666, Portal, Stargazer, Kriss Hades, dISEMBOWELMENT, Mournful Congregation.

Nazxul and GoTH are alright, but aren't the same bands they used to be. I'd rather not waste time mentioning the garbage, of which there is no short supply.

Don't expect much of a live scene when you get here. Most of the better bands have either broken up, moved overseas or rarely/never play live. I can't say I blame them really. Spend your time at the beach or something instead.

shadowmystic

May 14, 2008, 08:38:38 AM
http://australia.corrupt.org/

There are reviews for some Australian bands here, hopefully there'll be more in the future.

May 14, 2008, 08:56:14 PM
http://australia.corrupt.org/

There are reviews for some Australian bands here, hopefully there'll be more in the future.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1769/imagear2.jpg

?? Seems to be a problem with it and Firefox

May 14, 2008, 10:38:20 PM
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1769/imagear2.jpg

?? Seems to be a problem with it and Firefox

Yeah, unfortunately the pages with a lot of text have to be viewed using IE for the time being.

The forum works fine though. Any posters here, apart from Moses?

May 15, 2008, 09:43:47 AM

The Any posters here, apart from Moses?

Yeah, i'm an Aussie. I wouldn't exactly call myself a poster though.

I live over in Perth. If Austalia is a cultural wasteland and Eastern Australia is apparently our "cultural centre" then Perth can be likened to a small hole in the ground with an Australian flag poking out the top.

Let me make an example of this. When Slayer played a gig over here. (for the first time ever I believe) They played in a shed which is normally the farm animal house during the Perth Royal Show.

May 31, 2008, 12:26:27 AM

Yeah, i'm an Aussie. I wouldn't exactly call myself a poster though.

I live over in Perth. If Austalia is a cultural wasteland and Eastern Australia is apparently our "cultural centre" then Perth can be likened to a small hole in the ground with an Australian flag poking out the top.

Let me make an example of this. When Slayer played a gig over here. (for the first time ever I believe) They played in a shed which is normally the farm animal house during the Perth Royal Show.

Hi, and LOL.

There's more Australian posters than this...
It would be nice to get a bit organized, find out where each other are, and plan meetings like the European/American ANUSheads do.

Also... did Moses get banned or something?

May 31, 2008, 01:15:22 AM
It would seem so...  :(

May 31, 2008, 01:24:06 AM
A few bands to add to those already mentioned would be Bestial Warlust and the rather under-recognized Psychrist.

May 31, 2008, 11:02:23 AM
Sadistik Exekution  ;D

not that great of a band, but from what i have heard of their live antics, probably a great show.