Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal music listeners more intelligent?

Metal music listeners more intelligent?
May 16, 2008, 08:14:26 PM
http://kevindoran.blogspot.com/2007/03/metal-music-of-intelligent.html

I don't know how valid this is, but after listening to my dose of Immolation, Burzum and Vader i could relate to it.

Trauco

I stopped reading after "Slipknot"...

But for the sake of starting a discussion on this: I think not. Of course, I can only talk based on my personal experience, but the amount of metalheads that are of above average intelligence round up to a very small percentage. I'd also say that the gifted-to-normal intelligence ratio in metal circles isn't too far from the rest of society at large.

Oh, and 99.9% of metalheads are completely dysfunctional and quite an amount of them could not get in life the "respect" they have on their moronic social circle. Having a genius-IQ can't help you if you are a fucking tool.

I think it depends on the type of metal one listens to.

I have found that people who listen to mainstream bands because they find it "cool" or "in style" have the intelligence of a doorknob.  

Some of the people who listen to metal look for the bands they enjoy for themselves, and I think that could account for those "intelligent" ones.  Those that don't really have care for the mainstream crap put out today might actually have the capability to think for themselves, which makes them different, thus making them intelligent in the eyes of modern society.

VorteIX

No.

Classical listeners are more intelligent. A lot of classical listeners enjoy metal because they both share a same spirit.

Sadly, listening metal doesn't makes you a classical listener.

These kinds of surveys and news articles never actually treat metal with any respect. They commend it as being favored by bright students, sure, but they praise it for its therapeutic qualities and as an aid for anger/stress relief, rather than acknowledging that it is in fact a form of art. (Never mind the fact that all they think of when they hear the term "metal" is Slipknot, Tool, and whatever other rock garbage that's topping the charts these days.)

I've seen many actual metal musicians express this kind of sentiment as well, usually seemingly in a way to try and "justify" the angry/violent sound of their music, willingly lowering the meaning of their music to it being merely something you put on after you come home from a long day at work so you can get all your frustrations out in a way that won't bother anyone else, and are ready for another day of mindless labor in your cubicle. See? It's totally harmless!

The article would have been more convincing if different bands were mentioned, slipknot, Pink Frothy AIDS, sikth, none of which are listened to by more intelligent metallers.
In a state of permanent Abyss

This got reported on in News a year or so ago, and debated to death then.

My conclusions:

Most metalheads are idiots, but gifted children are drawn to honest music, so more of the gifted are metalheads than the population at large.

Notice how higher-IQ European countries like Sweden, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. have more metalheads, while mixed-caste low-IQ shitholes like the USA, Canada, and England have few and treat their metalheads with scorn.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Notice how higher-IQ European countries like Sweden, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. have more metalheads, while mixed-caste low-IQ shitholes like the USA, Canada, and England have few and treat their metalheads with scorn.

You have an inferiority complex, clearly. Please tell me your evidence for the following:

a) That your "higher IQ" nations have more metalheads

b) The "lower IQ" countries have less

c) That England is more caste mixed than Scandinavia, Holland and Germany (this is laughable, I would expect every dumb foreigner to at least know the practical existence of a class system here)

d) That metalheads are treated better and worse respectively in both countries

In fact from my experience of Europe (have you ever been here?) Austria is far more metallised than its northern neighbour Germany, and significantly more mixed. I believe chart evidence will back this up plenty.

Since when has the class system in England been based on in intelligence. It is purely economical.
In a state of permanent Abyss

Please tell me your evidence for the following:

a) That your "higher IQ" nations have more metalheads

b) The "lower IQ" countries have less

Please tell me your contrary evidence.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.
advertisement

Stuart Cadwallader, a psychologist at the University of Warwick, will present the findings at the British Psychological Society conference in York today.

He said: "There is a perception of gifted and talented students as being into classical music and spending a lot of time reading. I think that is an inaccurate stereotype. There is literature that links heavy metal to poor academic performance and delinquency but we found a group that contradicts that.

"We are looking at a group with lower than average self-esteem that does not feel quite as well adjusted. They feel more stressed out and turn to heavy metal as a way of relieving that stress.

"Participants said they appreciated the complex and sometimes political themes of heavy metal music more than perhaps the average pop song. It has a tendency to worry adults a bit but I think it is just a cathartic thing. It does not indicate problems."

The researchers surveyed 1,057 members of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth - a body whose 120,000 student members are within the top five per cent academically in the 11-19 age range.

Asked for their favourite type of music, 39 per cent said rock, 18 per cent R&B and 14 per cent pop. Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres.

The heavy metal fans in the study had lower self-esteem and more difficulties in family relationships and friendships.

Mr Cadwallader then held an online discussion involving 19 members of the academy, 17 of whom were heavy metal fans. They spoke of listening to bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force, Forward Russia and In Flames when they were in a bad mood and using it to work off frustrations and anger.

One student said: "It helps me with stress. It's the general thrashiness of it. You can't really jump your anger into the floor and listen to your music at the same time with other types of music."

Mr Cadwallader added: "Perhaps gifted people experience more pressure than their peers and use the music to purge this negativity."

Dan Silver, assistant editor of the music magazine NME who has worked for Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, said: "Many themes of heavy metal are about alienation. If you have these kinds of feelings there is a lot you can get out of the music and the community of fans who are into it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/03/21/nmetal21.xml

again, the implication of bands like System of Down, Dragonforce, Slipknot etc.. raises questions to the 'research's' merits  as to what breed of people they were dealing with there but there you go.

Yet... that's what's available for heavy metal now. I'd rather listen to Slipknot than what's popular in black metal now, where what was popular in black metal in the 1990s was far better than Slipknot.

How we decay...
ASBO

Please tell me your contrary evidence.

The burden of proof is on you, bruh. Anyway my last paragraph will do again:

"In fact from my experience of Europe (have you ever been here?) Austria is far more metallised than its northern neighbour Germany, and significantly more mixed. I believe chart evidence will back this up plenty."

Mixed = lower IQ, right?

The burden of proof is on you, bruh.

Just to interject here:

People have a style of "internet arguing" that makes little sense.

There's no burden of proof on him; his observations were anecdotal, and then you claimed a contrary anecdotal evidence thread in an absolute context.

You two are wasting our time.