Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal music listeners more intelligent?

Notice how higher-IQ European countries like Sweden, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. have more metalheads, while mixed-caste low-IQ shitholes like the USA, Canada, and England have few and treat their metalheads with scorn.

Questions for those who disagree:

1. What's the percentage of people who listen to metal in the countries mention, and the average IQs of each?

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/NationalIQs.aspx

2. How are metalheads viewed in American popular culture, versus the culture of other nations?

3. What are the chances an American could get elected president if he or she admitted liking heavy metal, especially the growly kind?

Send your answers in before Sept 11, and win a free prize.

How about those who learn a classical instrument?

http://inductivist.blogspot.com/2007/03/opera-fans-are-smartest-rap-fans-are.html

Opera fans are the smartest, rap fans are the dumbest: Following Jason Malloy's comments and analysis, I calculated the mean IQ for people who said they really like the following types of music:

Mean IQs

Opera 108.6
New Age 107.0
Classical 106.5
Showtunes 106.3
Big Band 104.2
Blues 103.8
Jazz 103.7
Folk 103.2
Oldies 101.6
Contemporary Rock 100.6
Easy Listening 99.4
Latin 99.3
Heavy Metal 99.1
Bluegrass 97.9
Reggae 97.2
Country 96.3
Gospel 94.4
Rap 91.1

No real surprises here, apart from demonstrating how IQ doesn't correlate very well with intelligence, it shows us that despite a few rare metalheads being intelligent, the majority are dumbasses.  I don't know why that is difficult to accept.

There is a factor that may be distorting the results a bit: are the IQs adjusted for age?  Other than that, the data indeed suggests that metal-heads as a group may be the laggards.  However, I would like to know what the margin of error is in the study before drawing any conclusions.

Also, the data seems to indicate a bias toward IQs for those who listen to music outside of the mainstream, though methinks the exceptions of reggae and gospel could be attributed to racial IQ differences, though compared to an average population with the same racial composition, I would wager it would be higher.

Digressing, is there an introductory thread?

If we look at more obvious ideals expressed within metal-esque music we can see hate, anger, frustration and in certain examples despair. I can be assumed that these more apparent facets of metal and metal like music is what draws many towards it.

I think that those who feel alienated do so for a reason, which could very well be in some cases a higher intelligence. But of course not always, and is probably more of a case of poor family relations and lack of values that bring many to metal.

It should be made a point that it is not what one listens to but why that is important. I do not think it is important that intelligent people listen to metal unless for the same reasons we here do.

http://inductivist.blogspot.com/2007/03/opera-fans-are-smartest-rap-fans-are.html

Opera fans are the smartest, rap fans are the dumbest: Following Jason Malloy's comments and analysis, I calculated the mean IQ for people who said they really like the following types of music:

Mean IQs

Opera 108.6
New Age 107.0
Classical 106.5
Showtunes 106.3
Big Band 104.2
Blues 103.8
Jazz 103.7
Folk 103.2
Oldies 101.6
Contemporary Rock 100.6
Easy Listening 99.4
Latin 99.3
Heavy Metal 99.1
Bluegrass 97.9
Reggae 97.2
Country 96.3
Gospel 94.4
Rap 91.1

No real surprises here, apart from demonstrating how IQ doesn't correlate very well with intelligence, it shows us that despite a few rare metalheads being intelligent, the majority are dumbasses.  I don't know why that is difficult to accept.

His actual raw data is unavailable, and his methodology is totally unexplained.  Not to mention, that this is a blog entry.  

No doubt it is highly unreliable, but then again, so is any study of this sort.  Statistical data is not actually very useful, but people seem to like it so I provided some.

I think the figures for rap were correct. The New Age stats are suspect.

The fact remains that metal is caste-divided:

25% intelligent Demilich fans
75% bloviating Cannibal Corpse fans

I think the figures for rap were correct. The New Age stats are suspect.

The fact remains that metal is caste-divided:

25% intelligent Demilich fans
75% bloviating Cannibal Corpse fans

Assuming those percentages are correct, let's do some estimating...

If the average IQ of a Demilich fan is 120 and the average Cannibal Corpse fan is around 95, then with those percentages the average IQ of metalheads is 101.25, a little above average.  If Demilich fans managed to score an average IQ of 125 then the total mean would come out at 102.5.  However, if Cannibal Corpse fans were a little dumber than I estimated say, 93, that brings us back to 101.

Now, if as I suspect, the Cannibal Corpse fans actually outnumber the Demilich fans by far more than what you have said, say 9 : 1, then metalheads are struggling to make 100.

This is also assuming that an average listener of Demilich is any more intelligent then an average listener of Cannibal Corpse.

Surely now the epileptoids who lack the mental balls to work as a cashier or an accountant for a multinational company are blushing. They're obviously more intelligent because they happen to listen to shitty Morbid Angel and Deicide albums, haha. First, you must define what you think as intelligent because there are two types of what we think of as intelligent.
There is the geek type of intelligent, you know the overeducated type who buries himself in a ton of books and never seems to see real life beyond the halls of academe. People of this sort choose to find solutions to problems through the creation of theories.
Then we have the person who solves problems in real time because this type of individual choose to live in the real world than to hide like a maggot in a university library.
Who do you think of the two is smarter?

Surely now the epileptoids who lack the mental balls to work as a cashier or an accountant for a multinational company are blushing. They're obviously more intelligent because they happen to listen to shitty Morbid Angel and Deicide albums, haha. First, you must define what you think as intelligent because there are two types of what we think of as intelligent.
There is the geek type of intelligent, you know the overeducated type who buries himself in a ton of books and never seems to see real life beyond the halls of academe. People of this sort choose to find solutions to problems through the creation of theories.
Then we have the person who solves problems in real time because this type of individual choose to live in the real world than to hide like a maggot in a university library.

You have a point, but created a false distinction. Surely library worms exist, and realists exist, but the groups are not exclusive. Proof: Thomas Aquinas.

Academic myopia sucks, though.

We must distinguish between a male and female type of metal listener. The male kind discriminates, promotes the best metal and laughs at or ignores the rest.

The female kind has no means of discrimination, and listens to everything as long as it fits a scheme that has been provided by others. Example: br00tal, true, underground, etc.

Neither. Intelligence describes reasoning power, which is unrelated to what one chooses to do with that power. A good example is the politician, who attempts to solve real problems but is most often a moron.

'Intelligence' is the ability to grasp reality.

The other thing you mentioned is rational ability. The two correlate, but are not necessarily the same thing, because intelligence is not limited to the rational faculty.