Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Anal sex, Wikipedia and Metal Forums

Anal sex, Wikipedia and Metal Forums
May 21, 2008, 11:42:52 AM
I've always found it odd that when I go to Wikipedia for a philosophical definition, I get the boiled-down community college/Cliff's notes summary of the idea. But when I go to Wikipedia for video game or indie rock information, it's literally the best source of information on earth.

There's something similar in internet forums... it's the revenge of those who don't have degrees, don't own companies, and don't have public prestige. By pretending that they do, and banding together, they can appear to be experts and even confuse others into thinking that.

It's a lot like Hollywood, don't you think? "This is important because we made a movie about it, because we think it's important." What relevance does Mississippi Burning have toward global warming? Or Sophie's Choice toward the continued decline of humanity's intelligence? Or Fast Times at Ridgemont High toward the ongoing boredom slope of human relations? Non-issues trumpeted as issues!

People in internet forums do a lot of trumpeting, but I think it's time we get back to resources verified over time by the best minds among us. We don't want to be Wikipedia, because wikipedia is a trend like funk metal. We want to be the primary resource.

Here are some good starters:

Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy - cost of 2 bad black metal CDs

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - free

Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - free

Other things I found:

Philosophy of Mind Dictionary - takes submissions, for the wikiminded.

Dictionary of Philosophy - good focus on ancients.

Re: Anal sex, Wikipedia and Metal Forums
May 22, 2008, 12:40:23 AM
Duuuude, books are hard.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

MLK

May 22, 2008, 01:21:16 PM
Duuuude, books are hard.

good for throwing at people.

May 22, 2008, 01:25:59 PM
what are these books you speak of?

clearly, i have not heard of them. ive been too busy watching LOST and listening to the latest indie pop band.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

chb

May 22, 2008, 05:11:30 PM
These are useful links. Thank you very much.

May 22, 2008, 10:22:24 PM
These are useful links. Thank you very much.

What do you have against LOST. Actually it puts you in the right mood for anal sex.
The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit.

VorteIX

May 22, 2008, 10:32:36 PM
Wikipedia proves us that the most futile and stupid issue can look "academic".

It explains at the same time why there're so much useless research projects at universities.

May 23, 2008, 10:42:06 AM
Wikipedia proves us that the most futile and stupid issue can look "academic".

I don't think you understand how important it is to be able to tell the difference between a series A Star Wars figurine and the more recent, less desireable series C which is useless to collectors and trufans alike.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh