Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Mortiis

Re: Mortiis
June 01, 2008, 02:02:22 AM
Mortiis did Black Metal a massive service in his contributions to Emperor. And write a song this great and then mock Immortal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-73S_XOCs

June 01, 2008, 01:51:24 PM
Whenever I look at what black metal fans are rambling about on the internet, I see people listening to a laundry list of recent bands and ignorant of the classics.

You don't go wrong with:

Immortal
Burzum
Graveland
Gorgoroth
Enslaved
Emperor
Impaled Nazarene
Belial
Beherit
Havohej
Mayhem
Darkthrone
Sacramentum
Varathron
Bathory
Hellhammer
Merciless
Dissection
Sarcofago
Samael
Throne of Ahaz

They're musically and artistically better than all but a handful of the newer bands: Demoncy, Averse Sefira, Summoning, Ancient, etc.

Trauco

June 01, 2008, 03:35:37 PM
Any self-respecting black metal fanboy know most of the bands you listed. The problem is the lack of focus on content, which makes them think that the new crap they listen to is somewhat of value solely because it sounds like black metal.

June 02, 2008, 12:20:48 AM
Any self-respecting black metal fanboy know most of the bands you listed.

I would think so, but apparently, they don't, or these people are lying to me (I am at a loss as to why they would).

June 02, 2008, 12:36:14 AM
Throne of Ahaz

Only the first one; the second LP was a clunker.

June 02, 2008, 01:24:22 AM
How the hell did the conversation change to this?  

June 02, 2008, 12:00:51 PM
How the hell did the conversation change to this?  

Dunno... people like to discuss what is familiar to them I guess. Anyway, I went back to re-appraise the older stuff after my post, and my opinion has changed a bit (the memory fades).

The first three full albums were all sets of two 30 minute tracks. The first two (Født til å Herske & Ånden Som Gjorde Opprør) are actually quite boring. He has an annoying habit of taking two quite different movements and cutting between them at seemingly arbitrary moments. A bit distracting overall. The last of this trilogy (Keiser av en Dimension Ukjent) was as good as I remembered it though.

The multiple-track albums that followed have some very good content: Passing By An Old and Raped Village on The Stargate is Mortiis at his best.

I find it funny that, for someone so clearly desperate for the rock star fame & fortune, Mortiis has completely balls-ed up every chance he has had at receiving wider recognition...

First he had a run-in with Faust and got booted from one of the only stadium-filler black metal bands, after penning their most famous lines. So then he turns his hand to ambient/folk stuff but only releases his best work post-'97, when everybody is sick to death of the pagan-synthesizer type music.

Finally, he drops all black metal aesthetic altogether and jumps (late) at the nu-metal pig in about 2000, just minutes before everything vaguely BM-related becomes ultra hip. Poor sod.