Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Death to Groove Metal, death in the ovens!

Death to Groove Metal, death in the ovens!
May 22, 2008, 10:45:20 AM
Also, nothing overwhelms me with boredom more than the groove-centered metal bands you mentioned at the end of your post. That's a different topic though...

You're right.

Groove metal would be bands like Skinless, Pantera, even Cannibal Corpse, Slipknot... basically rock-metal.

It's an attempt to assimilate metal into the mainstream and make it safe. "See! It's just loud rock! I'm not learning anything at all! Not subversive! Safe! Equal, even!"

Who needs it... also because it's for people who want safe not adventure it's generally moron music. Listening to Skinless might actually lower someone's IQ.

While i believe there is nothing wrong with having some parts in songs which have a "groove", so to speak, bands who center themselves around this concept are more often than not rock bands masquerading as metal.

yeahhhh man, kick back and listen to the fuckin groooooves man.

or how about not? assholes.

The quest for musical catchiness usually precludes artistic integrity.

The very best artists can transcend this trap. Beethoven, for example.

The problem about catchiness is it gets to our imagination, making us think that we actually like the music for a split second before we catch ourselves.

Trauco

The problem about catchiness is it gets to our imagination, making us think that we actually like the music for a split second before we catch ourselves.

I've been there so many times....not with mainstream "metal", but with the "true UG bands" who try to sell their content-less crap by recycling known formulas, appealing to nostalgia.

We cannot talk about catchiness per se in this case, but the principle is similar: the use (and abuse) of aesthetic elements which have been previously proven right by superior bands, aesthetics that appeal to a certain market, the underground scene in this case. Nocturnal Graves, anyone?

catchiness always ropes people in, but its always a five minute wonder. Music you have to work for becomes more induring and will be able to withstand repeated listens without becomeing dull.

VorteIX

One does wonder what role groove or "catchiness" plays in moshing.  Are they tied?

Maybe, both should be sent to the oven.

You're right.

Groove metal would be bands like Skinless, Pantera, even Cannibal Corpse, Slipknot... basically rock-metal.

It's an attempt to assimilate metal into the mainstream and make it safe. "See! It's just loud rock! I'm not learning anything at all! Not subversive! Safe! Equal, even!"

Who needs it... also because it's for people who want safe not adventure it's generally moron music. Listening to Skinless might actually lower someone's IQ.

Can someone explain the groove elements of Cannibal Corpse?

We cannot talk about catchiness per se in this case, but the principle is similar: the use (and abuse) of aesthetic elements which have been previously proven right by superior bands, aesthetics that appeal to a certain market, the underground scene in this case. Nocturnal Graves, anyone?

So we're caught between hipsters (poseur faux artists) and mass taste morons, with only a few people who "get it."

Sounds like cause for secession. Nietzsche urges you to create the ueberHessian.

Generally speaking the ovens' utility came into play post-mortem...but that's nitpickery isn't it.  8)

Marching bad groove death metal bands straight into the flames is a more satisfying mental image however...

Marching bad groove death metal bands straight into the flames is a more satisfying mental image however...

It is at that!!

Add Behemoth and Deicide to the death list.