Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is this band unretarded?

Is this band unretarded?
May 28, 2008, 02:06:40 PM
Been prowling message boards this week, seeing what people are listening to. Other than the obvious total garbage for morons (TGFM, examples: 36 Crazyfists, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Ulver, Levi-athan, As I Lay Dying) there are some I haven't heard and would like a few words on from qualified sources before I dismiss them outright.

Are these bands NOT retarded or TGFM?

- Tulus
- Wolves in the Throne Room
- Hail of Bullets

Just to calibrate the answers of those who are replying, what do you think of the following?

- Summoning
- Dead Infection
- Necrophagist
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Re: Is this band unretarded?
May 28, 2008, 02:20:40 PM
Haven't heard Tulus, Hail of Bullets, or Dead Infection.

Wolves in the Throne Room seemed like they would be good at first. Turns out their ambient intros were better than their actual songs which seemed to just melt and congeal into a few minutes of monotonous mediocrity. The drums are just continuous blasting, but  don't create that rhythmic cadence we associate with ambient black metal. Often this is because the blasts are interrupted with useless fills or just don't fit the riffs well. The vocalist is also prone to burst into clean vocals occasionally which show creeping influences of emotive hardcore. This assessment is based almost entirely on Diadem of 12 Stars. It has a few shining moments, but they get washed over by all the filler. Their next album The Two Hunters sounded a bit more promising but I've only heard small portions of a couple tracks.

Summoning is great and seems to be a parallel to newer Graveland. I think they put too much emphasis on their LOTR influence, though. My favorite songs of theirs are on Stronghold, which is where they stray farthest from that niche, despite a few lyrical references. I think that their approach and sound is a fertile womb for the future of black metal. It's something that needs to be elaborated on with more intensity. All that aside, I enjoy their music greatly and listen to them often.

Necrophagist is a great of example of how too much emphasis on technical prowess can ruin a band. As musicians they are great, but their compositions are bland and devoid of any high meaning. No point wasting your time on this band.

May 28, 2008, 03:03:13 PM
I agree with the previous post; Necrophagist is pretty much worthless. They essentially take pop structured songs and drench them in technique. I haven't heard Dead Infection or Tulus to be honest, but if I remember right Tulus is one of those gimmicky power/folk metal groups. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hail of Bullets is decent; at most a throwback to Asphyx and Bolt Thrower, but not an unimaginative listen unlike some other modern "oldschool" death metal bands. Summoning is fantastic in my opinion, and as stated already are moving in a direction that carries much potential for black metal.

Oh, and I forgot Wolves in the Throneroom. They're basically a mixture of the black metal bands that shamelessly plagiarize the Norwegian scene in an attempt to force validity and the experimental movement that justifies the content of their music with radical aesthetic variation. All in all they sound like they could create something wonderful, but fall short of the goal. Perhaps too much political intent permeates their art?

May 28, 2008, 04:31:23 PM
I can only speak for WITTR.

I have had many conversations with another person from here about the validity of this band. Two Hunters is their only work worth listening to, and has been criticised by many here. I however enjoy it; immense reverence for nature; galloping, lively melodies and well placed ambient passages that provide reflective dynamics. It is dripping with romance, but I do not think it ever decays into sap. I can distinguish them too easily to accuse them of any plagiarism.

I only know Summoning from the second list. I think Oath Bound is their strongest work, but it's the only one I've really listened to. Nightshade Forests bored me quickly.

Trauco

May 28, 2008, 06:28:27 PM
http://www.myspace.com/hailoffuckenbullets

I wasn't impressed at all with Hail of Bullets. To me, it sounds like boring thrash mixed with watered down  Asphyx-styled doomy riffs and melodic moments which sound suspiciously Gothenburg (as in "melodic" "death" "metal" a la Arch Enemy, In Flames and the like). TGFM, if you ask me.

Summoning, I know only their Lugburz and Dol Goldur albums and I found them pretty damn impressive. I specially like the latter which has a take on black metal I haven't heard on any other band. I like to approach this one like I approach ambient albums.

May 28, 2008, 07:48:39 PM
Been prowling message boards this week, seeing what people are listening to. Other than the obvious total garbage for morons (TGFM, examples: 36 Crazyfists, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Ulver, Levi-athan, As I Lay Dying) there are some I haven't heard and would like a few words on from qualified sources before I dismiss them outright.

Are these bands NOT retarded or TGFM?

- Tulus
- Wolves in the Throne Room
- Hail of Bullets

Just to calibrate the answers of those who are replying, what do you think of the following?

- Summoning
- Dead Infection
- Necrophagist

Necrophagist is terrible, i think theres been enough time wasted on them.

Summoning are quite good, although sometimes they seem a bit awkward in introducing different layers into their songs. all in all, i really have enjoyed all of their material i have heard. Minas Morgul is my favorite so far.

Wolves In The Throne Room frustrate me. allow me to explain. on their new album Two Hunters, there is a track "I Will Lay Down..." (some long title) of which the first 5 or so minutes are just completely uninteresting. then at the 6 minute mark, it hits an ambient passage, which segways into a buildup of drums and droning guitar, and then it explodes in blasting fury after about 2 minutes. it is excellent usage of dynamics, and the rest of the song (the remaining 10 minutes) is well structured. the song is 18 minutes, of which only 12 is worth listening to. they shouldve just began the song with the ambient passage, and left out the 5 minutes of zzzz.

if WITTR would learn to "trim the fat", so to speak, i think that they would be a much better band.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

May 28, 2008, 08:13:55 PM
Necrophagist is terrible, i think theres been enough time wasted on them.

He wasn't trying to waste anymore time on them, he is just using peoples opinions on those bands to figure out whether the opinions on the first three bands are remotely valid.

May 28, 2008, 10:16:31 PM
- Tulus: "Groovy" black metal, rock influenced. I don't mind them, but I'd put my money on everyone else here disliking them.

- WITTR: Boring, everyone who likes them tends to be from the Agalloch/Ulver/Arcturus/Regressive Metal crowd

- HoB: Haven't heard

- Summoning: Good

- Necrophagist: Bad

- Dead Infection: Haven't heard

May 29, 2008, 12:26:58 AM
Summoning is probably the best band at invoking my imagination, so I will undoubtedly recommended them.

Dol Guldur is their best, as it's the most consistent album in it's sound. The other two albums I would recommend you search for are Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing your Fame.

May 29, 2008, 01:02:58 PM
Good and interesting responses. Looks like the best way to enjoy many of these bands is to let others listen to them.

Still looking for good metal, as always, so listed a few...

Cronian - Terra
Ajattara - Itse
Aphotic - Stillness Grows
Apocalyptica - anything but the Metallica covers
Arhont - Arhont
Avsky - Malignant
Avulsion - Indoctrination into the Cult of Death
Azure - King Of Stars-Bearer Of Dark

I'm surrounded by catalogues and web sites here, and some of this stuff makes me crack up laughing, but I'm trying to pick the bands that do not show outrageously bad judgment in cover, name, or what they told these guys to write for their reviews. But it's still hard to tell.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

May 29, 2008, 06:20:22 PM
Of that trio, I've only heard Wolves in the Throne Room - which is black metal in form only, but e-m-o in the spirit it communicates: sentimentality, emotive "loss", etc... it's feminine in all of the negative senses without any of the positive.

The thing that is sinister about this band is that it represents the ultimate infiltration of "hipster" (alternative/i-n-d-y/etc) elements into the world of metal, but no one realizes it because of its mastery of basic black metal sonic techniques.

This, more than anything, proves the necessity of making the distinction between form and content in metal.

May 30, 2008, 09:36:52 AM
Avsky - Malignant

Only one from the second list I've heard, this one is "suicidal" bullshit that is following the Xasthur trend.

For the calibration responses:
Summoning:  I like "Minas Morgul" and "Dol Guldur", but their later material is too constantly triumphant and bombastic with no variation in mood, making it largely disposable.

Necrophagist:  Brick stupid "death metal" that borders on metalcore with its emphasis on groove and rhythmic expectation, hidden behind a layer of sweeps and pinch arppegios.

Dead Infection:  Haven't heard.

May 30, 2008, 09:41:37 AM
Of that trio, I've only heard Wolves in the Throne Room - which is black metal in form only, but e-m-o in the spirit it communicates: sentimentality, emotive "loss", etc... it's feminine in all of the negative senses without any of the positive.

I don't speak for Diadem of the 12 Stars but taking Two Hunters at face value and lyrical content alone without regard to the personal stance of the musicians, I would find it really hard to come to that assessment.

I think Two Hunters shows that this band made up of "outside" individuals are learning more about the music as they continue to play it.

BTW: You bring a up an interesting point about femininity in metal. Had that ever been discussed here?

May 30, 2008, 10:29:23 AM
Anyone care enough to comment on Sunn O))) ? I thought I'd give it a try.
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

May 30, 2008, 11:36:27 AM
Anyone care enough to comment on Sunn O))) ? I thought I'd give it a try.

I would advise against that.