Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Better Death Metal scene?

Better Death Metal scene?
May 30, 2008, 10:57:27 AM
Sweden, Finland, or other?  I'm talking about in their prime, not currently.  I don't feel too well-informed about this so I won't comment myself, I just want to throw it out there to you experts.  I've been spending the last six months or so studying and sampling Black Metal so now I'm thinking about dipping into some Death Metal, too.  From the little I've read about and listened to, Finland actually intrigues me more - Demilich and Adramelech, specifically.  As far as Sweden goes, Therion is the only band that's really caught on with me.  But let me get some information from you grizzled veterans:  Finland or Sweden?

Re: Better Death Metal scene?
May 30, 2008, 11:34:15 AM
Florida

Why must your quest to discover good death metal be limited by scenes?

May 30, 2008, 11:53:48 AM
The 'scene' isn't important as much as the individuals who make up the band. There could be a huge scene with zero great bands; there could also be a non-scene with the best band in the world. From experience: don't look for a scene, look for bands. Start with this list:

B E S T   E V E R
1. Massacra - Final Holocaust
2. Deicide - Legion
3. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
4. Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
5. Sepultura - Morbid Visions
6. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
7. Morpheus Descends - Ritual of Infinity
8. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
9. Obituary - Cause of Death
10. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
11. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
12. Dismember - Like an Ever-Flowing Stream
13. Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
14. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
15. Demilich - Nespithe
16. Asphyx - The Rack

I'm sure you can find all of the above albums in the audiofile section. Also check out the individual bands' review pages for more excellent death metal to listen to.

May 30, 2008, 01:09:38 PM
I'm not trying to LIMIT my quest to scenes, I realize that there is good death metal everywhere just like there is good black metal everywhere.  But I guess I see what you guys are saying - I phrased my question like a beginner.  I'm already very familiar with the "Best Ofs," so don't bother, but thank you.  I'm trying to look a little deeper at this point.  

Let me re-orient the discussion:  rather than what is the "better" or "best" scene, please explain to me what make Finnish Death Metal different from Swedish Death Metal, in their primes?  Also, is it safe to say that Finland and Sweden had a more vibrant DM scene whereas Norway did not?  If so, why?

May 30, 2008, 02:58:39 PM
Similar to cultural differences in representation of black metal (i.e. Sacramentum vs. Beherit), Finland and Sweden offer varying perspectives on death metal as well.

SWEDISH DEATH METAL

This genre is characterized by a propensity towards highly melodic passages. Most Swedish death metal bands share in common with Entombed a love of Iron Maiden, and subsequently a desire to leave little room for ambiguous musical space, except by way of reverb.

Excepting what's already been mentioned by other posters (i.e. Dismember, At The Gates), exemplars include:

Afflicted -  Prodigal Sun
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Hypocrisy -  Penetralia, Osculum Obscenum
Seance - Fornever Laid To Rest, Saltrubbed Eyes
Unanimated - In The Forest Of The Dreaming Dead
Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells, Shadows In The Deep

FINNISH DEATH METAL

A reflection of the local black metal scene, Finnish death metal incorporates geometric structures and a dark sense of humor into their compositions. In addition to Demilich and Adramalech, you should invest in the following:

Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Sentenced - Shadows Of The Past, North From Here (especially the latter; a highly underrated album)
...?

Unfortunately, early Finnish metal is not as well marketed as the rest of the Scandinavian catalogue. I'll have to look further into this myself!

May 30, 2008, 04:40:45 PM
FINNISH DEATH METAL

A reflection of the local black metal scene, Finnish death metal incorporates geometric structures and a dark sense of humor into their compositions. In addition to Demilich and Adramalech, you should invest in the following:

Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Sentenced - Shadows Of The Past, North From Here (especially the latter; a highly underrated album)
...?

Unfortunately, early Finnish metal is not as well marketed as the rest of the Scandinavian catalogue. I'll have to look further into this myself!

Cartilage - The Fragile Concept of Affection (their side of the Altar/Cartilage split)
Pentacle - ...Rides The Moonstorm
Depravity - Remasquerade (Silence of the Centuries has a better production, but Remasquerade is the better although both are really good)
Convulse - World Without God

There are some other ok bands from the region like Purtenance and Xysma. I wouldn't really bother with Sweden as most of their metal is forgettable 3rd rate material that all sounds like Grave and Dismember. The ones that didn't mostly sounded like Florida or Incantation-variety death metal. They did have a few stand-out bands, mainly At The Gates and God Macabre. Afflicted has some interesting music, but it's not that great.

Speaking of which, Holland produced some good metal as well, although the best are still Floridan bands along with Morpheus Descends, Suffocation, Incantation, Immolation, etc.