Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"Blackened" Death Metal

"Blackened" Death Metal
June 01, 2008, 12:33:12 PM
Is this a legit term or was it invented by hipsters?  What bands are considered blackened death metal?
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!

chrstphrbnntt

Re: "Blackened" Death Metal
June 01, 2008, 02:35:01 PM
It has to be one of the worst genre tags ever, but I suppose it'd be a good way to describe bands like The Funeral Pyre, Portal and Dissection.

June 01, 2008, 04:14:13 PM
Is this a legit term or was it invented by hipsters?  What bands are considered blackened death metal?

I think it's application is generally via commoners. It refers to a style largely revolving around Dark Funeral styled music, or generic death metal music with some tremolo riffing akin to black metal.

However, music that's like Hail, Profanatica, Goatlord, Throneum, etc can be referred to as black/death metal as well, but that's usually because their music lies within the boundary between the two genres. I think these bands generally are of the understanding that death and black metal are two sides of the same coin, whereas the blackened death metal bands discussed earlier (Behemoth et al) are bands that consider the two genres to be mutually exclusive.

June 02, 2008, 04:26:09 AM
Why not call it "Killed" Black Metal.
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

June 02, 2008, 10:16:55 AM
I think it's clear it's a marketing term.

It came about around the time when Century Media released their "Blackened" compilation, which featured a lot of classic black metal and some recently-converted DM bands.

Thread must die.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh