Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Bands worth hearing thread
June 01, 2008, 07:42:03 PM
This is, like all things, an experiment.

Based on the success of other threads here, I'd like to start one for finding out if new bands have any advocates.

Pattern:

Person1: posts band and/or album names.
Person2-∞: posts one-line assessment of the band

Example:

Person1: Deicide - Stench of Redemption

Person2: Not like their earlier work, more like a hybrid of Van Halen, old Deicide, and Broken Hope -- seek out their first three albums instead.

Let's give it a try.

Tulus
Wolves in the Throne Room
Hail of Bullets
 Cronian - Terra
Ajattara - Itse
Aphotic - Stillness Grows
Apocalyptica - anything but the Metallica covers
Arhont - Arhont
Sunn O)))
Avsky - Malignant
Avulsion - Indoctrination into the Cult of Death
Azure - King Of Stars-Bearer Of Dark

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 02, 2008, 10:01:39 AM
Kataklysm - Sorcery

June 02, 2008, 05:47:40 PM
Wolves in the Throne Room- Two Hunters

Listening to this album right now. Reminds me of Ulver and Vinterrikitt and maybe a little bit of Abyssic Hate. Not original by any means but it does have its merits. The drummer is really tight. Their ambient passages really stand out to me. I Like what I'm hearing.

Sunn O))))-Black One is really the only album from them that is worth checking out. Listen to Nadja or Moss or Black Boned Angel instead.

Band and Album that I recommend worth checking out is:

Thou - Tyrant and Peasant LPs. Hell all of their albums are worth checking out. Great band from New Orleans. There website has all of there music for download for free. Great Black Doom/Sludge band. They remind me of Eyehategod, Jesu and ISIS. Don't let that description keep you from checking them out. Their Website is http://noladiy.org/thou. (The site is down right now.)

Septicemia

June 02, 2008, 06:27:37 PM
Kataklysm - Sorcery

[EDIT]Despite being technically impressive, Kataklysm always lacked subtlety, and this shines through on "Sorcery". They disregard the sort of chaotic rhythmic tension that made "The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation" entertaining, and instead attempt creating more stable pieces based moreso in hardcore and grindcore compositional stylings which they fail to contrast sufficiently with melodic passages and rhythmic inflection. Aesthetically, it's interesting, and coherent, but content-wise not worth your while.

In short: [/EDIT] Imagine an incredibly boring "Mystical Gate" with less variation and brand of ambition.

Basically the only good (read: not terrible) Kataklysm out there was generated around the same time as the material off of Mystical Gate, and is hard to come by if not off of re-issues. That amounts to "The Vortex of Resurrection", and "The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation/The Death Gate Cycle of Reincarnation". Also, if you can handle the cheesiness of "Temple of Knowledge", there are 3-4 unreleased tracks from that era compiled on the dual re-release of Sorcery/Mystical Gate (I think this may be the version I uploaded on audiofile previously, but I'm not sure if its still active).

+++

Wondering about the band: Azhubham Haani

June 02, 2008, 06:44:18 PM

Imagine an incredibly boring "Mystical Gate" without any of its compositional merit and originality.

Someone asking about Sorcery probably hasn't heard Mystical Gate.... †I think we have to be more broad with the short assessments in a thread like this assuming background knowledge varies.

June 02, 2008, 07:02:11 PM
Misery's Omen

Septicemia

June 02, 2008, 10:06:33 PM

Someone asking about Sorcery probably hasn't heard Mystical Gate....  I think we have to be more broad with the short assessments in a thread like this assuming background knowledge varies.

Revised.

June 02, 2008, 10:46:42 PM
Deathevokation- Chalice of ages
Nominon- Terra Necrosis
Obliteration- Perpetual Decay
Evocation - Tales From The Tomb
Obliteration - Perpetual Decay
Malevolent Creation - Doomsday-X
Fleshcrawl - Structures of Death
Gorefest - Rise to ruin
Denial Fiend - They Rise
Nunslaughter - Hex
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Demonical - Servants of the Unlight
Aeon - Rise to Dominate
Inveracity - Extermination of Millions
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 03, 2008, 06:42:55 AM
Another opinion on WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM:

Musically copying GY!BE and Xasthur, although more predictable and overall worse than those bands, if not only for their hipster-ness, including leftist political statements of anti-fascism during concerts. Terribly bland music.

June 03, 2008, 09:36:55 AM
Wolves in the Throne Room- Two Hunters

Reminds me of Ulver and maybe a little bit of Abyssic Hate.

That is a really, really bad combination.

Misery's Omen

Their early was was promising, being progressively-bent black metal with some theatrical elements borrowed from doom metal. Their debut LP was just released, and I've been meaning to get myself a copy of it. However, if it turns out to be more of the same I'll likely find myself rather disappointed.

Like early Bethlehem, but much better.

June 03, 2008, 01:11:17 PM
What about?

Aškon KŽŽtrŽh
Akitsa
Alcest
Ancestral
Austere
Avichi
Bael
Bilskirnir - In Flames Of Purification
Blodsrit - Helveteshymner
Chaos Omen
Christicide
Dodsferd
Drudkh
A Forest Of Stars
Endstille - Operation Wintersturm
Funeral Mist
Glorio Belli
Hate Forest
Heresi
Hypothermia
Inferni- Shores Of Sorrow
Ipsissimus
Ithdabquth Qliphoth
Koldbrann
Kroda
Locus Mortis
L'Acephale
Malign
Mgla
Massemord
Mutiilation
Merrimack
Mortuus
Nattefrost
Nachtmystium
Negator (Germany)
Nortt
Nyktalgia
Ofermod
Ondskapt
Obscurus Advocam
Ordo Templi Aeternae Lucis
Paragon Impure
Peste Noire
Qliphoth
Quintessence
Rex Mundi
The Ruins Of Beverast
Reverorum Ib Malacht
Sadomator
Sargeist
Slidhr
Skitliv
Striborg
SVEST
Symphonia Sacrosancta Phasmatum
Twilight
Triumphator
Walknut
Wold

...any of these NOT suck?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 03, 2008, 01:11:42 PM
That is a really, really bad combination.

Their early was was promising, being progressively-bent black metal with some theatrical elements borrowed from doom metal. Their debut LP was just released, and I've been meaning to get myself a copy of it. However, if it turns out to be more of the same I'll likely find myself rather disappointed.

Like early Bethlehem, but much better.

Bereft,
Too each his own....
Bands and  Albums

Root-Kargeras
In the Woods-Heart of the Ages
Absu-Tera
Ameseours-3 song EP

June 03, 2008, 01:12:18 PM
Drudkh: Autumn Aurora

Great black metal album from Ukraine. I haven't heard the other releases.

June 03, 2008, 06:47:06 PM
Drudkh: Autumn Aurora

Great black metal album from Ukraine. I haven't heard the other releases.

Can we please be more descriptive than this?  It doesn't take much time and adds immense value.

Example:
DRUKDH - Autumn Aurora
Painfully boring, BUZRUM-inspired droning black metal; runs each and every song through a tacked-on folk aesthetic with three similar riffs and two moods.

June 03, 2008, 08:52:55 PM
HAIL OF BULLETS

A completely unnecessary attempt to recapture the glory of early '90s death metal that falls flat.  At first, it's nice to hear van Drunen at the mic again but it wears thin rapidly to be replaced by tedium.

WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM

Similar to almost all the other Southern Lord acts (ie. endless drone in a feeble attempt to create a hypnotic atmosphere).  At times, they seem to wish they were WEAKLING but don't have the compositional skill.

APHOTIC

Meaningless atmospheric/gothic doom metal that adds nothing to a genre saturated with cheese.

MERRIMACK

Their early work (Ashes of Purification) sometimes reminds me of the early Antaeus.  Antaeus tried to develop a modern take on black metal that was cold in a synthetic sounding way, Merrimack achieves some of the same.  Enjoyable in sporadic doses.

AKITSA

Raw as hell but gets old fast.  The little that I have heard seems to be a mix between Ildjarn, Absurd and Judas Iscariot (not all at the same time).  "Goetie" still gets the odd spin but is far from being an essential piece of work.

IN THE WOODS - HEart of the Ages

An album that can't seem to decide if it wants to engage in Pink Floyd inspired doom or shrieking black metal.  The contrast creates a fair bit of tension in the album but is enjoyable overall to my ears.  Their following album "Omnio" drops the black metal and is a superior piece of work in all respects.

THE RUINS OF BEVERAST

Similar complaints as those registered for WITTR apply.

M‹TIILATION

Their early work is legendary and reviewed extensively elsewhere.  I disagree with the DLA take on "Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)" and contend that it will likely be the last BM album to attempt a new atmosphere in the genre.  The combination of organic riff structure with extremely synthetic sound mixed with bizarre lyrical content creates a sick and unwholesome atmosphere I find truly compelling.  Material after this gets caught up with modern trends and drowns itself.
"Love thy neighbour" is a fucking joke, for few are worthy of my love.