Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Trauco

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 03, 2008, 09:15:40 PM

Root-Kargeras

Concept album. Heavy metal with lots of influences from rock and metal acts of the 70s and some doom metal thrown in. Really solid work, IMO, I like what these guys managed to do with this aesthetic. I like it, although not as much as "The Temple in the Underworld" by the same band. The album is in audiofile if you want to check it out.

Absu-Tera

I think you meant "Tara". It's their most praised album, but I think it falls short comparing it to the two previous albums. I prefer "The Third Storm of Cythraul", to name an album with similar aesthetic and better composition.

Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites

slow-to-midpaced Death Metal a-la Autopsy, Goatlord and similar acts. I liked their "Grave Damnation" MCD, but this is just more of the same and without the rotten, dead-like feel of the MCD. Also, it's too long for its own good, maybe this guys' style works better for shorter albums?

chrstphrbnntt

June 04, 2008, 02:55:18 AM
...any of these NOT suck?

S.V.E.S.T. - Urfaust is all kinds of good. Its production is near-impenetrable, but is a rewarding album for the attentive listener. So many layers of guitar fuzz... I hear touches of Thousand Swords-era Graveland underneath the cacophony. The user who recommended it to me likened the experience to a nighttime sandstorm.
---
Deeds of Flesh - Mark of the Legion
Gorgasm - Neurotripsicks
Mareridt - Mors Angelorum
Kadenzza - Into the Oriental Phantasma
Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death
Dolorian - Voidwards
Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
HelcaraxŽ - Triumph and Revenge
Shaarimoth - Current 11

June 04, 2008, 04:33:37 AM
I agree about SVEST. †Urfaust and Averse Sefira's releases mark the highest achievements of post-96 black metal.  Compositionally I found this less chaotic than most people say, despite using intense layering and rather strange melodies the thematic statements lead into epic climactic sections with ease and lasting grandeur before crashing back down on themselves.  Intelligent yet passionate music.

June 04, 2008, 08:48:19 AM
Gorgasm - Neurotripsicks - This band makes rock-styled music with extremely bouncy grooves. Guitar playing is similar to Necrophagist, suitable for running through exercises but otherwise meaningless.

Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death Melodic black metal with sometimes cheesy symphonic, although there are moments where the music feels like it drags on, there are some great moments of genuine mystery and adventure on this record provoking a sense of the epic. They have a Mutiilation aesthetic but with a more Graveland approach.

June 04, 2008, 09:00:26 AM
Deeds of Flesh - Mark of the Legion

This might actually be my favorite DEEDS OF FLESH. †It continues with the speed metal influence of Path..., though with stronger song and riff writing. †Impressive flow for a band whose early works are quite fractured.

June 04, 2008, 10:01:17 AM
Melechesh?

June 04, 2008, 10:24:39 AM
Xibalba - Ancients. Just heard these MP3s: more awkwardly-played, simpler versions of the album songs and some other stuff I don't recognize but don't want to listen to either. It's not bad but like early Sodom, so simplistic after a while you want to go play outside. It could ruin the mystique of the full length Xibalba album (Ah Dzam Poop Ek).

Trauco

June 04, 2008, 12:53:42 PM
Vomit (Nor) - Still Rotting

chrstphrbnntt

June 04, 2008, 06:44:35 PM
Darkspace - III

June 04, 2008, 07:30:57 PM
Darkspace - III

The album is boring and doesn't contain any sort of emotions in it. While on the earlier albums the dark, bleak nature of space or the unfaltering entropy of the universe were well represented by the music itself, this time I don't see what they're trying to do with the music. It just seems like a collection of meaningless synth, drum machine noise and other stereotypical black metal aesthetics.

June 04, 2008, 07:34:34 PM
Melechesh?

Releases since year 2000 [Have not heard material prior to that time period]: Bouncy and full of catchy Middle-Eastern melodies, it lacks a coherent concept beyond its 'unique' mix of black metal vocals and basic rock-metal structure. Stick to more rewarding material.

Of the Fallen?

June 04, 2008, 07:56:17 PM
Not new, but interested in hearing opinions:

Necrophobic - DEMOS (any, all)

June 04, 2008, 08:46:48 PM
Luciferion - The Apostate

June 04, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
Black Funeral - Empire of Blood

June 05, 2008, 01:45:20 AM
Luciferion - The Apostate

This is a decent album, but not nearly as powerful as "The Demonification", which to my ears, sounds almost like a perfection of the essences that Deicide attempted to communicate in "Legion": raw Luciferian vitality and dark heroism. Vir.