Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 05, 2008, 10:21:38 AM
In Aeternum
Funebre

June 05, 2008, 02:50:43 PM
I second Luciferion. Very good band.

I think most people here are familiar with Timeghoul, but just in case I will recommend them as well.

June 05, 2008, 02:54:31 PM
Black Funeral - Empire of Blood

Pretty bland early Gay Midget Fecal Pr0n (GMFP), though a lot better than it's predecessor Vampyr. You'd be better off sticking to the Az-I-Dahak and Ordog.

How's the new Blut Aus Nord album compared to their other work?

June 05, 2008, 11:30:32 PM
Has anyone heard the Gorguts "Live in Rotterdam"?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 06, 2008, 02:13:49 AM

Pretty bland early Gay Midget Fecal Pr0n (GMFP), though a lot better than it's predecessor Vampyr. You'd be better off sticking to the Az-I-Dahak and Ordog.

How's the new Blut Aus Nord album compared to their other work?

once again, the word filters here are hilarious.

i liked Az-I-Dahak but i think that Empire of Blood is BF's best work (that i have heard). those vocals are simply evil in its true form, and the medieval vampyric atmosphere is very convincing. plus, an excellent assortment of tremolo melodies are abound throughout the tracks.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 06, 2008, 10:33:58 AM
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments & Retribution

June 06, 2008, 11:16:32 AM

i have Retribution. pretty decent album, though not really distinguishable from the crowd. the guitars are mixed far too low, and are overpowered by the drums. shame, as there are some tasty riffs on display.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 06, 2008, 01:44:12 PM
Gorath - Misotheism
Hermh?
Anti - The Insignificance of Life
Depravity - Silence Of The Centuries
Mordicus - Dances From Left
Necrosanct
Sacrosanct
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 06, 2008, 07:29:41 PM
Dark Tribe:  "In Jeraspunta - Die Rückkehr der Tollwütigen Bestie"
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!

June 06, 2008, 08:10:36 PM

This is some of the best SLAYER-ized death metal there is, showcasing the speed metal influence of Florida death metal most profoundly.  Together they represent the best by this band.  Both are intensely, violently rhyhtmic, though the first is much more frenetic than the latter.  I prefer The Ten Commandments in part for that reason.

Question: why are you asking for opinions about albums that are readily available for sampling?

June 06, 2008, 11:15:54 PM
In Aeternum

Typical "melodic," speed and heavy metal-influenced death metal.  Not worth the time.

Funebre

The album is cleaner than the early works, and has the organic Finnish sound (and indeed was one of the earliest Finnish DM acts).  Many of the riffs are starkly disconnected and juxtaposed, so it sounds somewhat incomplete.  Think AMORPHIS without the melody-narrative with some proto-DEMILICH type moments.  Probably worth further investigation.

June 06, 2008, 11:56:40 PM
Maniac butcher
Bone Awl
Taake

and maybe Man is the Bastard

Akitsa - I think this band is worth admiration as one of the few bands who use the black metal aesthetic as a medium for their various ideas, rather than playing for the sake of entering what typical black metal represents. On Goetie and Sang Nordique every song has it's own character yet fits in nicely with the others.  

June 07, 2008, 12:16:44 AM
Maniac butcher

Straight-ahead black metal; think a blasting Under a Funeral Moon plus Battles in the North.  Mid-to-late-nineties vintage.  Decent for a while but it doesn't last.

Bone Awl

Supposedly a "more-punkish" ILDJARN.  Pretty bland.

Taake

Johnny-come-lately Norsecore of the weakest variety.  Think SATYRICON, only the gig is they are cool again because "real" Norwegian black metal became unrespectable after Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.

June 07, 2008, 12:27:55 AM
Blut aus Nord

I've heard alot about them, but never heard anything by them. Any information on the band in general with specificly good or bad album to get or to avoid ?

June 07, 2008, 12:56:39 AM

This is some of the best SLAYER-ized death metal there is, showcasing the speed metal influence of Florida death metal most profoundly.  Together they represent the best by this band.  Both are intensely, violently rhyhtmic, though the first is much more frenetic than the latter.  I prefer The Ten Commandments in part for that reason.

Question: why are you asking for opinions about albums that are readily available for sampling?

Thanks for the second opinion, and the answer to your question: Sometimes I'm able to download albums before I mail order them at a record store nearby, other times I'm using a computer on which that isn't an option. Juggling school and work makes it hard to always get to my personal computer, so I save time by observing the criticism of respected peers.

*EDIT*
On second thought, this thread was created with newer bands specifically in mind. In that case I'll shift my questioning towards any recent material that has caught my interest. Sorry for the waste of time.