Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 07, 2008, 03:49:21 AM
Blut aus Nord

I've heard alot about them, but never heard anything by them. Any information on the band in general with specificly good or bad album to get or to avoid ?

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB.cgi?board=deathmetal;action=display;num=1194183716;start=10#10

June 07, 2008, 10:51:22 AM
On second thought, this thread was created with newer bands specifically in mind. In that case I'll shift my questioning towards any recent material that has caught my interest. Sorry for the waste of time.

No waste of time, but you're probably right that "newer"/unknown bands and albums are better served by this format.  It's still fun to try to summarize classics in three sentences.

June 07, 2008, 11:40:25 AM
Taake

and maybe Man is the Bastard

Taake has some good ideas, and some good riffs. Theyre not at all like Satyricon (nothing can be that bland), but they need some tightening up in the songwriting department, judging from Doedevskad (the only album i own by them).

Man is the Bastard is pretty unique grindcore. the fact that they dont employ guitars makes them like a punk Necromantia. not bad at all. there was a lot of good stuff coming out of the early 1990s "powerviolence" scene, such as Spazz, Infest, Dropdead, and Capitalist Casualties. you just have to focus on the music and leave out the preachyness (or in Spazz's case, get past the fact that they were a bunch of goofs).

chrstphrbnntt

June 07, 2008, 12:15:19 PM
SPAZZ is an example of how not to use a sampler.

Random Profanatica and D.R.I. samples with tons of other random movie/TV sound bytes. Kind of annoying.

Infest, No Comment, Bucket Full of Teeth, and Yacopsae are the powerviolence bands I'd recommend.

---

Anything by The Monolith Deathcult
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred

June 07, 2008, 01:08:54 PM
Sometimes I'm able to download albums before I mail order them at a record store nearby, other times I'm using a computer on which that isn't an option. Juggling school and work makes it hard to always get to my personal computer, so I save time by observing the criticism of respected peers.

Would it save people time if *samplers* were made that featured one track from each band? Download, and/or burn, sample, then come back for the ones that were interesting.

Often, the old ways were best... because they were the smartest. This method would be more like tape-trading or the old CD samplers JL Amerika used to make.

June 07, 2008, 01:08:59 PM
SPAZZ is an example of how not to use a sampler.

Random Profanatica and D.R.I. samples with tons of other random movie/TV sound bytes. Kind of annoying.

Infest, No Comment, Bucket Full of Teeth, and Yacopsae are the powerviolence bands I'd recommend.

Yacopsae is pretty good. and yeah sometimes Spazz go overboard with the samples. some are pretty funny.

where does Spazz use Profanatica samples? id like to see if i have the songs.

June 07, 2008, 01:09:42 PM
Gorath - Misotheism

Belgian band with a Somewhat "Ukranian" sound for the most part. In other words: high-octane riffs that follow each other in an intuitive/predictable (delete as perception dictates) procession, which sometimes drop to half-pace sections or pianissimo acoustic/folk guitar parts. The basslines show prog-rock influences when they play counter-melodies not root notes.  There are definite production traces on this album of the Thorns/Emperor split. Metaphysics themes.

chrstphrbnntt

June 07, 2008, 02:56:29 PM

Yacopsae is pretty good. and yeah sometimes Spazz go overboard with the samples. some are pretty funny.

where does Spazz use Profanatica samples? id like to see if i have the songs.

"Gary Monardo's Record Vault Shirt" from Crush, Kill Destroy samples everyone's favorite "Weeping In Heaven" lyric.

Raise_the_Dead

June 07, 2008, 04:20:09 PM
Wormphlegm - In an Excruciating Way... demo

June 07, 2008, 05:23:03 PM
I think the absurdist humor in "powerviolence" is kind of analogous to the way black metal overdoes their evil imagery and death metal uses gore in hyperbole, though bands like spazz and charles bronson are more subversive.

Infest and no comment are the antithesis of Metallic grindcore, just stripped down fast hardcore. Even if they are preachy, the lyrics are pretty accurate.

June 07, 2008, 10:47:02 PM
I think the absurdist humor in "powerviolence" is kind of analogous to the way black metal overdoes their evil imagery and death metal uses gore in hyperbole, though bands like spazz and charles bronson are more subversive.

Infest and no comment are the antithesis of Metallic grindcore, just stripped down fast hardcore. Even if they are preachy, the lyrics are pretty accurate.

i like how you use the term "powerviolence" in quotes. i dont regard it as a serious term. i think one of the dudes from MITB said it as a joke when describing their music, and it caught on. personally i just call it all grindcore.

and ive never really got the hype about Charles Bronson. theyre just your typical fast hardcore band with one of the most annoying singers i have ever heard.

chrstphrbnntt

June 07, 2008, 11:35:48 PM
I think we should take the powerviolence / grindcore / whatever the fuck you want to call it discussion back to this thread, as we're getting a bit off-topic.

June 08, 2008, 01:16:14 AM

"Gary Monardo's Record Vault Shirt" from Crush, Kill Destroy samples everyone's favorite "Weeping In Heaven" lyric.

haha, i just listened to that song, youre right. i never noticed it before.

thats a great album though. serious music meets nonserious lyrical content.

and youre right, back on topic. thoughts on?

Agathocles - Mincer
Abigor - Orkblut - The Retaliation
Revenge - Infiltration.Downfall.Death

June 08, 2008, 01:38:43 AM
WORMPHLEGM - In an Excruciating Way...

Finnish death doom with an evil edge.  Passing comparisons can be made to Thergothon or maybe Shape of Despair.  Enjoyable, but it becomes painfully obvious they ran out of ideas by the half-way point (and there is still 15 minutes to go).

ABIGOR - Orkblut

Likely their finest album.  The compositions are much tighter than the first while avoiding the self-indulgence of the third.  Unfortunately, at only 24 minutes it is rather short.

June 08, 2008, 02:18:25 AM
I second the request for opinions on AJATTARA.