Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 11, 2008, 07:50:19 PM
Amenthis - Dualism

Sample here:
http://www.genocide.com.br/conteudo/lancamentos/mp3/01-Intro Amenthis - Dualism.mp3
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 12, 2008, 12:47:51 AM
Merciless - Merciless (2003)

Anyone heard this one? Everything else from this band has been tasty.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 12, 2008, 01:02:59 AM
Someone asked about Macabre Omen on the previous page. From what I have heard (2005's "The Ancient Returns"), they are above average black metal in a style not unlike mid to late Graveland. Worth checking out if you can tolerate the occasional melodic (cheesy) flourishes and subtle folk elements.

June 12, 2008, 07:45:24 PM
Moss - Cthonic Rites
Catacombs - Into the Depths of R'Lyeh

June 13, 2008, 02:33:01 AM
ARCKANUM

One of the few reasonable black metal acts to have emerged from Sweden.  While the music breaks no new ground, I enjoy the atmosphere it evokes.  In my mind, the only "cold" black metal that truly conjures images of being in the woods, knee-deep in snow.

SILENCER

An attempt to do what Bethlehem already did better on "Dictius te Necare".

CATACOMBS

Another hanger-on in the so-called "funeral doom" scene.  Everything to be done in this area has already been done by the likes of Skepticism, Thergothon, etc.  All in all, not required listening.
"Love thy neighbour" is a fucking joke, for few are worthy of my love.

June 13, 2008, 03:25:52 AM
on Wintersun - ill admit i have a soft spot for Ensiferum, and i think Jari's talents serve him better in that band.

on the album itself, i got it when it first came about about 4 years ago. there are some good ideas throughout, and the only track which is COB-ish is the first track. keyboards are heavily used in an ambient kind of role, and they arent ever really done distastefully. the only problem is the album drags on and the lyrics to some of the songs are pretty bad.

id give Wintersun a 5/10. nothing too bad, but nothing that jumps out at you.

on Arckanum, have never been able to get into them because of the HORRIBLE vocals.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 13, 2008, 03:32:11 AM
Cataplexy

June 13, 2008, 09:40:10 AM
I'll differ on Arckanum -- like Keep of Kalessin, this band focuses so hard on aesthetic they completely miss content and become entirely boring. It's like a big black metal flavored drone, might as well be named "Sounds of my car trip to Florida, redone as folkisch kitsch." Nein, danke. Nein squared.
ASBO

June 14, 2008, 10:21:59 AM
Some I'd never heard of, from an interview:

Spawn of Possession - Cabinet and Noctambulant
Augury - Concealed
Anata - Under A Stone With No Inscription
Psycroptic - The Scepter Of The Ancients
Defeated Sanity - Prelude To The Tragedy
ASBO

June 14, 2008, 05:56:34 PM
Sargeist
Horna
Torgeist
Troll
Manes
Fleurety

June 14, 2008, 05:58:34 PM
Some I'd never heard of, from an interview:

Spawn of Possession - Cabinet and Noctambulant
Augury - Concealed
Anata - Under A Stone With No Inscription
Psycroptic - The Scepter Of The Ancients
Defeated Sanity - Prelude To The Tragedy

SoP is your generic tech death. All the soul of a Necrophagist, with slightly less wankery.

Psycroptic's only good point is that their drummer is in The Amenta, who are pretty decent.

I found Anata to be overrated, as hype i heard proclaimed them to be an ideal mix of technical and melodic death metal. "Under A Stone With No Inscription" was by no means a terrible album, but again, nothing really stood out. Enjoyable for a song or two.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 14, 2008, 11:34:23 PM
(deadite, thanks for the feedback -- I think our tastes are similar in these regards)

A few more I've run into that "looked interesting" but am uncertain about patronizing yet:

Abominant
Abrasive
Adversary - Lord of Chaos
Apoplexy - Life, Thoughts & Destiny
Autumnal - Grey Universe
Biovore - Scientific Proof
Blood Ritual - Black Grimoire
Datura - The Darkest Hours
Demoncy - Empire of the Fallen Angel
Disinter - Welcome to Oblivion
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Ouroboros - Critical Perspective
Mactatus - Blot
Secrecy - Dictums of Power
Slavarc - Structural Damage in the Blueprint of Humanity
Tenebrous - Arias Toward the Black Sun
Teratism - Invocatum Furae Diabolis
Transcendence - Eternal Stream
Torturer - The Flames of Purification
Vargulf - Invading the Throne
Vlad Tepes - Black Legions Spirits
Wallachia - From Behind the Light
Massacre - Tyrants of Death
ASBO

Raise_the_Dead

June 15, 2008, 12:51:54 AM
I second deadite's opinion on Spawn of Possession, Psycroptic, and Anata.  With art I always say stick with the original - in my opinion you're better off with Suffocation, Deeds of Flesh, Cryptopsy, et al.

Any of these worth a shot?

High on Fire
Sleep
Asbestos Death
Axegrinder
His Hero is Gone
Acid Bath
Funeral

June 15, 2008, 01:05:12 AM
Ride For Revenge - Sounds like Beherit's "Drawing Down the Moon" and maybe Swans.  More interesting when viewed as ambient rather than metal.  The riffing doesnt really go anywhere, but the manipulation of atmosphere and knowledge of simple rhythmic patterns are excellent.

Sargeist - Black metal for the sake of black metal, basically.  An entertaining summary of the genre to appeal to outsiders.   Songs follow almost verse chorus verse patterns and riffs are constructed and performed well, but the songs as a whole seem generally unmotivating and uninspired.  The vocals are also really annoying, as a matter of opinion.

Horna - pre "Viha Ja Viikate" seems very erratic, like in attempt to take very simple melodic themes and add as many oddly syncopated drum beats and strange chord patterns as possible to create the illusion of talent.  For all following this album, they seem to learn more about atmosphere and how to construct longer melodies(inspired by burzum, darkthrone, and perhaps less evidently, other country-mates such as beherit and demilich), but something still seems to be lacking, taking songs as a whole.  They are definitely improving with each release though.  

Torgeist - Sounds like Belketre and Crass, oddly.  Very boyant, with simple punkish riffing and few digressions per song.  Poorly produced to the extent that most many ideas are too obscured to be effective, as opposed to the mentioned belketre or other LLN bands such as Vlad Tepes (on March to the Black Holocaust, War Funeral March, and Black Legions Metal, primarily) or Brenoritvrezorkre; where the poor production creates a sort of alien atmosphere, in my opinion.

Manes - Interesting interpretation of Burzumesque riffing.  Basically plodding, death march rhythms (similar to early graveland or infernum to some extent) maintained throughout most every song, with arpeggiated chords progressed in a manner somewhat similar to I Shalt Become, with heavier assistance from keyboard melodies.   Also probably comparable to Xasthur in form, but paralyzing and intelligent in sonic choices rather than mindnumbing overall.  

Demoncy - Empire of the Fallen Angel
Guitar tuning sounds pretty standard and most of the atmosphere from previous releases is gone.  Emphasis seems to be on cyclic drum patterns and elaborate darkthrone riffing, but unaffective.  Similar to Sargeist in that riffs are well constructed, but songs sound uninspired as a whole.  

Vlad Tepes - Black Legions Spirits
A collection of demos, "War Funeral March", "Into Frosty Madness", and "Celtic Poetry", with songs that are mostly available on "March to the Black Holocaust", the band's most energetic and, overall effective release, in terms of balancing poor production and alien atmosphere.   Overall, the collection has energetic punkish songs, similar to early graveland, and bathory, with obscure, almost improvised sounding riffing, and equally 'loose' song structures.  Mostly cycles of 3 or 4 riffs, with occasional and improvised sounding digressions thrown in.  Again, recommended but "March to the Black Holocaust" is a better summary.