Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 30, 2008, 03:49:31 AM
Do any of these not suck ass?

AGRESSOR - The Merciless Onslaught
CIANIDE - Hell's Rebirth (CD)
DESULTORY - From Beyond The Visions Of Death (Demo CD w/ Bonus Tracks)
EYES OF LIGEIA - A Fever Which Would Cling To Thee Forever (CD)
FORNICATION - Descendants of the Degenarated Race (CD)
HEPTAMERON - Grand Master Of The Final Harvest (CD)
HORRID - Rising From The Hidden Spheres (CD)
LIK - Likamen Illusionen Kallet (CD)
MEGASLAUGHTER - Calls From The Beyond 1991 (CD)
TENEBROUS - Arias Toward The Black Sun (CD)
THOTH  - From The Abyss Of Dungeons Of Darkness (CD)
VILE - Depopulate (CD)
WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Buried Amongst The Ruins (CD)
Mithras' "Behind the Shadows Lie Madness."

July 03, 2008, 12:39:13 AM
Forgot - Sic Luceat Lux

Trauco

July 03, 2008, 01:26:56 AM
EYES OF LIGEIA - A Fever Which Would Cling To Thee Forever (CD)

Some might call this a doom metal album and they would be right probably, even though they don't sound like the bands trying to rescue the 'traditional' sound, on one side, or like the Funeral doom variety on the other. I'd say these guys have their own style. A plus side is that their riffing doesn't resemble rock in the slightest (like so many doom bands who wear their Black Sabbath influence on their sleeve) and I'll say that at times they don't even resemble metal, either. The most accurate way I could define them is "black metal with doom metal aesthetics". It's worthy of a listen, in my opinion.

It shall go into Audiofile in a few moments.

MEGASLAUGHTER - Calls From The Beyond 1991 (CD)

Standard 90s Swedish Death Metal, complete with the production everyone in that country seemed to have at the time. It reminds me of Carnage ocasionally. If you're into the style, try it. You'll find it's good material in it's consistency, but, of course, it doesn't reach the heights of the big names of the scene (Grave, Merciless, Dismember, Entombed and the like).

July 05, 2008, 09:56:00 AM
Crimson Moon - http://www.myspace.com/crimsonmoonofficial
Infested - http://www.myspace.com/infestedrip

These are the greatest bands I've discovered so far within the context of my locale.

July 06, 2008, 04:55:27 AM
Thoth - Waiting for You sample.

Darken, Necro from Ohtar, and some dude from Dark Fury do a Burzum tribute band. Not bad not good. That's... not great.

July 06, 2008, 09:35:35 AM
The Ruins of Beverast

I've heard positive things about this. Anyone heard it?

July 07, 2008, 05:38:21 AM
VILE - Depopulate (CD)

This one doesn't suck ass. Fairly bare bones speedy Death Metal focused on technical, cyclic and melodic riffs. The drumming is really tight and I like the vocals a lot, low and belchy. I thought this album was great but "New Age of Chaos" descended into the ranks of bland, homogenous Unique Leader clones.

July 07, 2008, 06:45:22 AM
Beherit - H418.... (I know that it is here but I don't listen to the samples, I don't have flat rate)

Monolithe(funeral doom)

July 07, 2008, 05:43:55 PM
Moonsorrow-extremely boring band, listened only to their 2nd and 3rd, they were attracting to me when I was rocker(will not say hipster)
They have kinda dark atmosphere, but they are very slow at riffing and the riffs are not heavy as they are in good doom metal. Avoid at all cost, especially if you are into black or death metal or classical music

I actually enjoy Moonsorrow. Their songs can get too long sometimes, but i like the dark atmosphere they create.

July 08, 2008, 04:18:09 AM
Going back a few pages here.

Ludicra

Cut from the same material as most current western american black metal (Wolves in the Throne Room, Agalloch etc). Not worth it.

Beithíoch - Diolaim

Instrumental (except the last track), hypnotic, almost droning black metal. While I don't think this release is necessary, it does capture very well the kind of wholly organic and bestial atmosphere that was the goal of the project.

Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife

An attempt to recreate the ambience of the early greek black metal bands while still playing a bland of mostly generic "brutal" technical death metal. Not bad really, but not needed.

are those bands worth a try?

Convulse
Dark Tribe
Funebrarum
DeathevokatioN
Deteriorot
Disciples of Mockery

July 08, 2008, 04:44:02 AM

are those bands worth a try?

Convulse

The earliest releases are fair-to-moderate Finnish DM/grind; later stuff is embarrassing "rock/grind," something like later CELESTIAL SEASON or an equally ridiculous take on half-assed 1970s radio fodder.

Funebrarum

I enjoy them; if you like the dirgy Finnish style it is a good follow-through that is somewhere between that and an INCANTATION-styled approach.  Members of EVOKEN, for one, a fact which shines through in the guitar tone and melody presence of the solos.  Audiofile link.

Deteriorot

A decent take on INCANTATION with simple, AMORPHIS style melodic interjections.  Some cheese, though a sincere effort from a relatively long-standing (but underproducing) act.  Will upload.

Disciples of Mockery

Three-fourths of the Onward to Golgotha line-up.  More blasting than you would expect from that, otherwise no surprises.  Audiofile link.

July 09, 2008, 11:52:54 AM
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice

These guys realized that they would never be able to make two riffs fit together as well as Darkthrone does, so instead of abandoning the whole process of making music, they thought that they could come up with as many riffs as possible in one song and album ; hoping that people would then be too busy to notice this fundamental failure, and thinking that this would somewhat "compensate" for it. Too bad for them, it doesn't work at all. Despite the impression of hearing 80 riff changes in 4 minutes, you still have the feeling that the song goes nowhere and just runs in place without any kind of development.

July 10, 2008, 08:54:24 PM
Cemetery Urn - Urn of Blood
Nerlich - Defrabicated Process
Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Slugathor - Circle of Death
Anatomia - Dissected Humanity
Burial (NL)- Relinquished Souls
Desecrator (UK) - Subconscious Release
Decomposed (UK) - Hope Finally Died
Enchantment - Dance the Marble Naked
Hexx - Morbid Reality
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast
Obliteration - Perpetual Decay
Phantasm - The Abominable

July 12, 2008, 09:48:50 AM
The Ruins of Beverast

I've heard positive things about this. Anyone heard it?

Solid one man project. He does not bring anything new to the table but what he delivers is a profound atmosphere combined with sometimes cheesy film samples.

July 12, 2008, 04:41:50 PM
ASBO, you mentioned Kronos a few pages back.

i have not heard "Colossal Titan Strife", but i do own "The Hellenic Terror". the production is a bit too spic-and-span for me, as i like my death metal to be a bit gritty. they sound like a cross between Suffocation and a band like Neuraxis. more than competent instrumentally, with some really excellent moments in some songs. lots of variance in riffing, and although they are quite technical, dont expect to be bombarded with Decrepit Birth-like muddy garbage. the album starts dragging around halfway through, but the first 2 tracks are the highlights. every other track is in second place. but as a whole, i would give the album a 7 out of 10, and suggest you to give it a try.