Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
October 26, 2008, 11:05:32 PM
ill agree on Sadistic Intent. savage band, and quite competent in a live setting.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 29, 2008, 05:05:34 AM
Root
Dolorian
Tragedy
Saturnus
-l-

October 29, 2008, 08:50:53 AM
Wolves in the Throne Room- Two Hunters

Listening to this album right now. Reminds me of Ulver and Vinterrikitt and maybe a little bit of Abyssic Hate. Not original by any means but it does have its merits. The drummer is really tight. Their ambient passages really stand out to me. I Like what I'm hearing.

What? Tight? No, not even remotely. There's nothing remarkable about the ability of any of these musicians.
BLAH BLAH MY NAME IS NIETZSCHE AND I AM A BITTERFAG BECAUSE RELIGION FAILED MY DAD AND I HAVE NEUROSYPHILIS BLARGH.

November 03, 2008, 06:00:47 AM
I've long ago abandoned black metal and other metal-related bands. I felt I was picking at scraps, and there is so much other great music out there that should be recognized.

Killing Joke
Big Black
Swans: early works and also later works.
Angels of Light: "Everything is Good Here/Please Come Home" album.
Throbbing Gristle
Psychic TV
SPK (early works)

I would like to have some post-punk recommendations. Thanks.

November 03, 2008, 11:39:49 AM
If you're to the meandering borderline pop songs such as early Death in June or the like with post-punk, I try and avoid that as much as I can, so I wouldn't know anything. If you're looking for something more along the lines of neo-folk (more or less) though, I'd recommend the following:

Sol Invictus - The Death of the West
reminiscent of DiJ's But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?, but slightly less mystical and more emotional.

Der Blutharsch - Der Sieg des Lichtens ist das Lebens Heil!
A sort of patch work of samples and loops, with a more martial tone than the accoustic works of aforementioned bands.

Rome - Masse Mensch Material
Although going crossing the line into pop territory a bit too much for my tastes, it's nevertheless a rather solid, well executed work with very nice vocals.

Tribe of Circle -  The Advent of Redemption
Mesmerizing stuff, using repeating loops and choirs in a way that reminds vaguely of a cross between Burzum's Filosofem and Biosphere's Shenzhou.

The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath A Cloud - The Smell of Blood but Victory
A more medieval take on Der Blutharsch's work (or rather, the other way around considering this was made first).

I always get a bit frustrated with neo-folk though, as, although conceptually it should be a genre that produces some great music, just about every album I hear has a number of annoying flaws that, should they be fixed, would've been a great album. It's like what Black Metal would be if there would be nothing but demo tapes. 

November 03, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
I would like to have some post-punk recommendations. Thanks.

For the link between punk and gothic/art rock, check out Joy Division ("Unknown Pleasures", "Closer"), Siouxsie and the Banshees ("Hyaena"), Bauhaus and Wire (3 first albums). Those were experiments in emotional pop, for harsher experiments on hardcore approaching avantgarde see Crass (vital for understanding grindcore) and Rudimentary Peni. Public Image Ltd., the band of Johnny Rotten after Sex Pistols, was musically far superior to that better known band.

Post-punk becoming ethereal and tribal is all about Dead Can Dance (3 first albums).

For early noise, NON ("In the Shadow of the Sword", "Might!") and Merzbow ("Tauromachine", "A Perfect Pain" with Genesis P-Orridge) are indispensable. Then between noise and industrial exist the cacophonic power electronics bands like Whitehouse and Genocide Organ.

Industrial and occult drones were created by Coil in "How to Destroy Angels", merging with neo-classicism in "Horse Rotorvator" and electro in "Love's Secret Domain". Current 93 was a master of evil drone for the first few albums before becoming neo-folk. I am also a fan of Lustmord and Schloss Tegal.

November 04, 2008, 10:25:49 PM
I've been listening to Sol Invictus recently, and while some individual songs are good, I find it's basically pop music, with the attendant flaws. Some individual songs grab the attention but the album as a whole is tedious and repetitive (less true of Against the Modern World and Lex Talionis). Same happens with Wolfsheim as well to a certain extent. As in, I can't be bothered to listen to all of No Happy view, since the first track and The Sparrows and the Nightingales are the only tracks I want to hear. And I don't think I've ever managed to listen to all of the Devil's Steed: all I ever want to hear are the first two tracks, then I get bored. Maybe I'm shallow. But I don't find this happens with Burzum; or with Beethoven.

November 04, 2008, 11:38:17 PM
Wolfsheim's output is uneven; the individuals behind it are talented but unstable, like many modern "artithths" tend to be.

I've decided neo-folk is crap. Everything I've heard is sub-par, and dramatic without making much of a point. I'd rather just listen to classical, good metal, and the good ambient works.

Post-punk similarly. Why listen, unless you're absolutely determined at all costs to listen to something from within the popular music world?

And if so................ why?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

November 05, 2008, 12:12:00 AM
I've been listening to Sol Invictus recently, and while some individual songs are good, I find it's basically pop music, with the attendant flaws. Some individual songs grab the attention but the album as a whole is tedious and repetitive (less true of Against the Modern World and Lex Talionis). Same happens with Wolfsheim as well to a certain extent. As in, I can't be bothered to listen to all of No Happy view, since the first track and The Sparrows and the Nightingales are the only tracks I want to hear. And I don't think I've ever managed to listen to all of the Devil's Steed: all I ever want to hear are the first two tracks, then I get bored. Maybe I'm shallow. But I don't find this happens with Burzum; or with Beethoven.
Stating that The Devil's Steed is unlistenable is as valid a criticsm of SI as saying Gorgoroth sucks since Twilight of the Idols is boring, though.

November 05, 2008, 01:54:17 AM
I've decided neo-folk is crap. Everything I've heard is sub-par, and dramatic without making much of a point. I'd rather just listen to classical, good metal, and the good ambient works.
I can understand this point of view if you haven't heard All the Pretty Little Horses by Current 93

If you have then I don't understand your point at all.

November 05, 2008, 11:36:26 AM
I can understand this point of view if you haven't heard All the Pretty Little Horses by Current 93

If you have then I don't understand your point at all.

It is one of the best releases of the genre besides "Sleep Has His House" and DIJ's "But What Ends When Symbols Shatter" and "Rose Clouds of Holocaust", but all of those are more like conceptual operas or series of poems set to music rather than full-fledged musical works. Musically most of it is barely passable IMO.

November 05, 2008, 02:01:25 PM
Death in June have many good songs scattered over a series of disjointed albums. The only Death in June album I can really lose myself in is "The Brown Book." The best neo-folk I've heard usually sounds like a stagnant knock off of Death in June with the lyrics being Swedish or German. One notable outfit worth mentioning is Sturmpercht. Rather than regurgitating the styles of Death in June or Sol Invictus, they play a kind of Alpine traditional folk music. Incorporating samples,somewhat humourous lyrics and marching rhythms that come off as more celebratory than martial, I find myself coming back to their "Geister im Waldgebirg" often.

ozz

November 07, 2008, 12:58:37 AM
Anata (Sweden) - Technical Death Metal - Discography
Benighted (France) - Brutal Death/Grind w/some Hardcore influences- Discography
Drudkh (Ukraine) - Pagan Black Metal - Discography

Honestly I don't get why these bands are so overlooked I've enjoyed their previous masterworks along with their latest output for at least the past 2 years.  I called the piece of shit farce of a metal music station on XM radio and requested Anata of Sweden... "uhh whoo??"... Benighted of France... "never heard of them dude"... Finally they happened to know who Immolation is.  XMLM channel 42 sucks goat dick. 

Anata & Benighted are both High Quality Shit.  Very recommended contrary to what any haters want to say.
a fucking guitar wizard

November 07, 2008, 03:13:49 AM
I found Benighted to be very, very bad...

November 07, 2008, 04:11:57 AM
i've heard one album by Benighted, and thought it was halfway decent at the time, but nothing more. and that was a while back, when my tastes were more... "open-minded." i.e., misguided
Drudkh is bad. not bad in the same way that Red Hot Chili Peppers or wayne newton are, but a distinct lack of anything extraordinary. makes them pointless
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2