Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 22, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Axis of Advance plays a type of melodic war metal that leaves a bad aftertaste. I wouldn't bother with them.
Vinterland is pretty good. If you like stuff like Dissection and Sacramentum you might like them though they don't come close to either of those bands.
Krallice is garbage.

Far Away From the Sun is Sacramentum's best album but their other ones are worth hearing as well as they are all slightly different instead of being weakened continuations of the band's formula.

June 22, 2009, 06:25:02 PM
Looking for thoughts on the following bands that have been recommended to me elsewhere:

Axis of Advance
Krallice
Urfaust
Negative Plane
Vinterland
Forest of Fog

Was also wondering, Im in love with Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun, do any of their later albums approach its brilliance, or am I in for a disappointment?

Axis of Advance - When I first heard them, I was extremely bored. That was a long time ago, and a lot of the stuff that bored me then fascinates me now, so I'm planning on getting into them again as well. It is "war metal" though, and I'm of the opinion the only essential band in that style is Blasphemy.

Krallice - Awful. Everything that is wrong with "metal"(in quotes because this is post-rock, which is really little more than rock played at low tempo with some fleeting prog influences). Musical garbage; their album's an identity statement and nothing else - a hipster's fecal expression. It has no journey, no harshness, nothing but sugary aural pleasantry drenched in production tools. Like Wolves in the Throne Room, but worse, since Wolves in the Throne Room at least *wants* to express something. Don't be fooled - if you find yourself listening to this for enjoyment, stop before you become diabetic. I'd say listen to it once, though, because laughter is good for the soul, and (if you make music yourself) so you can have an idea of what you should avoid doing yourself.

Urfaust - I've never heard them, but all the people whose taste I remotely trust think it's stupid.

Negative Plane - The best on this list. Nothing amazing, but deplorably cool, and one of the more refreshing albums I've heard come out in the last few years. Although the music itself is rather basic speed metal(apart from long stretches of linking riffs via slight modulations), and much closer to Tormentor and Mercyful Fate than it is to any black metal, I've not heard many albums with a stronger black metal aesthetic. It's too early to tell, but there's an outside chance this band may end up becoming great. If you end up liking it, you should know that they're now working on a new one.

Vinterland - The sidebar review that popped up on the ANUS page was spot-on. Well-done, but unnecessary. I've heard something about them working on new stuff too, which I'd be interested in hearing.

As for Sacramentum, Bovine's run-down is good. Even the worst of their stuff is still very good. Far Away from the Sun, though, is incredible - most bands are lucky to have one album that could even be called great, so it's a bit unrealistic to expect a band to have more than one incredible album. The two after it veer even further from black metal standards, and almost entirely fall into melodeath territory, but they're among the few good albums in that style. One similarity they do share with Far Away from the Sun is an ability to make technically advanced music in a way that conveys an idea, instead of making you realize that it's technically advanced.

June 22, 2009, 09:39:13 PM
Axis of Advance - When I first heard them, I was extremely bored. That was a long time ago, and a lot of the stuff that bored me then fascinates me now, so I'm planning on getting into them again as well. It is "war metal" though, and I'm of the opinion the only essential band in that style is Blasphemy.

I have an EP somewhere called 'Landlines' which I've only heard once. It really did rouse my interest, though, and was not 'war metal' in any sense, if you're talking about that grinding, feral Blasphemy style. Instead, I remember 'Landlines' being quite challenging, delivering a melodic Black Metal sound through a framework one could easily think was laid out by a technical Death Metal band such as Atheist; maybe even more articulately so. I will definitely re-visit this recording when I get the chance to. I have no idea when it was released, but obviously belongs to the post-1996 demarcation we all seem to be fairly comfortable with!

June 28, 2009, 01:16:59 PM
Has anyone heard Mgła from Poland? I find their "Groza" to be best black metal from Poland in last year. Songs are well composed, atmosphere is great - I think this release has power.

June 29, 2009, 10:39:21 AM
Has anyone heard Mgła from Poland? I find their "Groza" to be best black metal from Poland in last year. Songs are well composed, atmosphere is great - I think this release has power.

It's here.
I haven't heard the last one yet...

June 29, 2009, 12:53:35 PM
Mgła - it's pure emo, or at least such is the true spirit of this music. They Failed to build ambiance and failed to build good structures. If Burzum/Darkthrone/Immortal is truth, then this must be a fourth degree on scale of cognition.

July 11, 2009, 01:39:57 PM
Gorefest - Rise to ruin
Denial Fiend - They Rise
Nunslaughter - Hex
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites

July 12, 2009, 07:36:13 AM
Sex Pistols
Archgoat
Electric Wizard
Judas Priest
Moonblood
Mystifier
Pink Floyd
The Pixies
Root
Sadistik Exekution
Slaughter (Can)
Tormentor (Hun)

I'm already a fan of a few of these, but I'm curious as to what others think.

July 12, 2009, 04:17:47 PM
Sex Pistols
Archgoat
Electric Wizard
Judas Priest
Moonblood
Mystifier
Pink Floyd
The Pixies
Root
Sadistik Exekution
Slaughter (Can)
Tormentor (Hun)

I'm already a fan of a few of these, but I'm curious as to what others think.

If you look back a few pages, you will see that Root, Moonblood, Tormentor (who are reviewed in the DLA), Archgoat, and Pink Floyd were already covered in this thread. Read a bit before you post lists of stuff.

I'll tackle a few of the rest though.

Slaughter (Can) - great, really. Probably the purest synthesis of hardcore punk and early death metal. I'd say some of the shorter songs even border on grindcore. These guys should please any fan of death metal.

Sadistik Exekution - while this band certainly was a very early example of black/death metal (I think their first album was recorded in 1985/86, even though it wasnt released until a few years later), what with the blastbeats, murky production, etc, I haven't really been able to sit through a whole album of theirs. There are individual great songs and moments, but I think Sad Ex needed to shorten their songs, by doing so their sound wouldve been much more focused.

Sex Pistols - punk rock's first ever boy band. Worthless, overrated, and incredibly bland. You'd be better off listening to the Stooges or the MC5, should you wish to hear some early punk music.

July 12, 2009, 04:55:36 PM
Some of these bands were mentioned already, others I added to the list.

Akitsa - Aube de la Misanthropie (2005)
Lame Ildjarn/Absurd ripoff. The ultimate bedroom black metal band. Avoid.

Avsky - Malignant (2008)
Hipsters praise this for "keeping the flame of BM alive" I downloaded it, laughed at the lyrics of the first song, checked out the album some more, then deleted it with a smile. It's black metal as product - just the way hipsters like it.

Code - Nouveau Gloaming (2005)
Gay. If you want to know what Ved Buens Ende would sound like if they were dying of AIDS then by all means give this a listen.

Faustcoven - Rising From Below The Earth (2008)
Bouncy doom metal with Darkthrone influences. Like all doom metal I have to be in the mood to appreciate this music. I wouldn't call it bad though, has some stand out tracks such as Throne Of Bones.

Hellveto - Any album
Potent mix of Graveland and Summoning but fails because each album is just more of the same. Perhaps a "best of" album would work. I haven't heard their last two albums yet due to lack of caring.

Veneficium - De Occulta Philosophia (2008)
Forget Esker, this is the album you needed to hear. Whereas Esker had mostly good ideas this album takes those ideas and perfects them in a different format. Recommended.

July 12, 2009, 08:34:40 PM
Sex Pistols - punk rock's first ever boy band. Worthless, overrated, and incredibly bland. You'd be better off listening to the Stooges or the MC5, should you wish to hear some early punk music.

I hear so much about them being nihilists and generally a great band from the general public. But of course, the general public is filled with homosexuals, pedophiles, and retards. I'll avoid. I've only heard the debuts of the Stooges and the MC5, I'll try and check out the rest.

July 12, 2009, 09:58:36 PM
I hear so much about them being nihilists and generally a great band from the general public. But of course, the general public is filled with homosexuals, pedophiles, and retards. I'll avoid. I've only heard the debuts of the Stooges and the MC5, I'll try and check out the rest.

Well, people say Sid Vicious was a nihilist, but that's only because they equate nihilism with not giving a shit about anything. Sid didn't give a shit about anything, and that's why he od'd on heroin.

He, and Johnny Rotten's dumbassery are probably the only things which got them so famous. That and their manager was a fashion designer (I think), regardless he knew how to market them.

July 13, 2009, 09:28:02 AM
Slaughter: Amazing. To be listened to side by side with Master/Deathstrike. Who cares if it doesn't sound totally death metal, the song ideas have the perfect death metal form and intent. Probably caused by listening to Slayer under alcohol and drugs, or something to that effect.

Moonblood, Mystifier, Root, Sadistik Exekution, Tormentor: Not the musically best of black metal, but the spirit is there - perfect examples of what was "normal" for black metal in late 80's and early 90's. It's the second tier of that time.

Archgoat, Mgła, Necros Christos, Negative Plane: These on the other hand are musically better - but artistically worse! They are perfect examples of what is "normal" for black metal in the new millennium. I like the best crafted material from each one, but note how the style and aesthetic is interchangeable with a thousand other bands playing one of the modern black metal subgenres/cliques (and contrast this with the above bunch).

Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, Sex Pistols: The quality of each band is rendered irrelevant by them starting mega-trends - speed metal, psychedelic rock, alternative rock and punk respectively. One tends to like or dislike based on the generation one is a part of (or refuses to be a part of).

Electric Wizard: A dronier Black Sabbath clone.

Trauco

July 18, 2009, 04:06:53 PM
Slaughter: Amazing. To be listened to side by side with Master/Deathstrike. Who cares if it doesn't sound totally death metal, the song ideas have the perfect death metal form and intent. Probably caused by listening to Slayer under alcohol and drugs, or something to that effect.

A fun, tongue-in-cheek version of Deathstrike with the disordered "don't give a fuck at all about finesse" ethics of a punk garage band, I'd say. Totally enjoyable, though. "Surrender or Die", "Strappado" and "Paranormal" are the works to be sought for, the last is noteworthy as it sees the band turning their rough, simple style into technical speed metal with sci-fi lyrics. The trend of its time, I guess, but this particular band pulls it off quite well.

Marquee Records from Brazil released a 4CD boxset with tons of demo, rehearsal and live material, but it's probably out of print by now. I'd avoid their "Meatclever" demo, as it is just a bunch of seriously undeveloped songs made for fun and mostly to piss people off, like the band themselves readily admitted. The post-Slaughter incarnation of the band sans-Terry Sadler, "Strappado", is to be avoided as well: techno thrash, only they didn't hit the mark on that like they did on "Paranormal".

Judas Priest, (...): The quality of each band is rendered irrelevant by them starting mega-trends.

I have to disagree with you here, for obvious reasons...we need to remember how some of the best acts in extreme metal are guilty of  creating trends inadvertently (whatever their magnitude). The nasty consequences of bandwagon jumping should not preclude good works in any case.

For Judas Priest, I'd recommend their trilogy of "Sad Wings of Destiny" (1976), "Sin after Sin" (1977) and "Stained Class" (1978) albums. These are by far the best works of the band from an artistic standpoint. We can hear the band slowly leaving the somewhat enjoyable, yet blatantly rocking style of their "Rocka Rolla" debut and evolving into a more energetic outfit that integrated classical influences in riff (and sometimes song structure) shaping, culminating in the proto-speed metal track "Exciter", from "Stained Class". Their "Prelude" from "Sad Wings" is also worth noting, a simple, short, yet extremely expressive piano and lead guitar composition that is maybe the the finest example in all of metal on how to make acoustic and electric instruments interact with each other in a perfect, effortless way.

In any case, to understand their impact on the musical world of its age we should put ourselves in the place of a listener living in the mid-70s. They were considered by some media outlets as an extreme band for its era. Their opinion was based on the fact that there were few bands (if any) at the time that experimented with fast tempos and relentless agression the way early Priest did.

July 24, 2009, 07:25:22 PM
Atrocity (US): Infected, The Art of Death