Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
February 12, 2010, 09:21:20 PM
What's with all the trolls lately? Geez.

In other news, I've recently gotten into Swans. Excellent industrial/noise. Very oppressive, one can sense where Godflesh got some of their ideas from. I recommend "Filth" and "Cop".

February 14, 2010, 02:53:05 AM
I'd recommend that anyone here interested in 80s Heavy Metal listen to Italian band Adramelch's "Irae Melanox." It's excellently put together melodic Metal and they have great control over their themes, and can adequately express them via melody. Great lyrics too. I'm pretty sure it was released in 1988, but it doesnt really sound like anything else I've heard. I almost get a Sacramentum type vibe (minus the whisper grows, and the chaotic mist in the guitar and drum production), in the fact that it doesn't sound needlessly angry or full of hate, just beautiful and contemplative.

Maybe someone else could help elaborate if there are fans on here.

February 14, 2010, 03:29:25 AM
^Sounds worth checking out!

February 14, 2010, 03:42:02 PM
Blood Feast - Kill for Pleasure.

Opinions?

February 14, 2010, 07:44:11 PM
Blood Feast - Kill for Pleasure.

Opinions?

Nothing special at all. Worth avoiding really unless you want to hear standard thrash which is now more than ever, incredibly redundant.

February 14, 2010, 09:20:08 PM
Is the drone/ambient project Nadja have anything worth listening to and is it really better than Sunn O)))?

February 14, 2010, 10:02:12 PM
 He has something like 10 full length albums out and a ton of splits, so it's hard to define his music exactly. Overall I find it's more melodic and has more structure than Sunn O))). It also makes it more accessible and easier to listen too.  Try Desire in Uneasiness - it's one of something like 8 albums he released in 2008 - you'll get the gist of him. 

February 14, 2010, 10:29:27 PM
Cenotaph (Turkey)

Have heard a bit about them, are they worth hearing?

February 15, 2010, 04:35:06 AM
Has anyone (with good taste) had any experience with post-Impurity albums from Fleshcrawl?

Their debut is brilliant, and the second effort whilst not remarkable is still solid Death Metal, so I'm curious if anything else is worth checking out. I've read some good things.

February 15, 2010, 04:50:50 AM
Has anyone (with good taste) had any experience with post-Impurity albums from Fleshcrawl?

Their debut is brilliant, and the second effort whilst not remarkable is still solid Death Metal, so I'm curious if anything else is worth checking out. I've read some good things.

I wouldn't worry about any of it.  The third is similar to Impurity, but I never found it as likable.  The fourth adopted some Gothenburg/soft-BM melodic tendencies, and the fifth (...Endless Fire...) is back to harder-edged death metal, though squared-off and generic.  I can only assume everything after that is of similar formula (one review here, another forthcoming).

February 15, 2010, 05:32:27 AM
It's interesting that the guitar sound, and the production in general, seemed to decrease in power from the first album to the second. Of course the song writing became less structurally complex too.

Do you think that this was a similar issue to what happened to Unleashed circa 'Across the Open Sea'? I seem to remember that Unleashed ran out of money to replace / repair dated equipment and quality studio time by this point - correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll avoid their later output as I don't really need any more run-of-the-mill, paint by numbers death metal.

February 15, 2010, 07:15:18 AM
I'd recommend that anyone here interested in 80s Heavy Metal listen to Italian band Adramelch's "Irae Melanox." It's excellently put together melodic Metal and they have great control over their themes, and can adequately express them via melody. Great lyrics too. I'm pretty sure it was released in 1988, but it doesnt really sound like anything else I've heard. I almost get a Sacramentum type vibe (minus the whisper grows, and the chaotic mist in the guitar and drum production), in the fact that it doesn't sound needlessly angry or full of hate, just beautiful and contemplative.

Maybe someone else could help elaborate if there are fans on here.

i would like this a bit, if it werent for the vocals... lame vocalist.

February 16, 2010, 04:08:02 AM
I'm curious about KAMPFAR after Mellom skogkledde aaser.

February 16, 2010, 06:50:53 AM
I'm curious about KAMPFAR after Mellom skogkledde aaser.

"Fra Underverdenen" is similar to it's predecessor in song structure and style, with songs that are a little more forward driven and fewer folk elements.  There are some rather strong tracks that capture the old norse sound effectively for a band that came in late in the game. It is enjoyable for a lower tier Norwegian black metal band but not essential.  I've only heard one track from "Kvass" (Ravenheart) and concluded I wasn't interested in hearing more.  It had a core riff that was interesting but was wrapped in an arrangement that went nowhere.  The few tracks I've heard from the newest album suggest it has the elements of their earlier work, but now sounds like a band that is just going through the motions.

While it is definitely true that post-"Impurity" Fleshcrawl is weaker than their previous outings, I still find enjoyment in "Bloodsoul" and "Bloodred Massacre".  The former is like a stripped down "Impurity" and the direct nature appeals to me on some primal level.  "Bloodred Massacre" marked the beginning of their melodeath explorations, but I felt they kept it tasteful and effective here.  With "As Blood Rains..." their downward spiral began.

February 16, 2010, 08:34:12 AM
Anyone heard of Wurzelkraft - "Primitv und Edel wie nie zuvor"? Worth a download?